autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Single stage cloudiness

So I'm working on this 1976 Triumph TR6 with original single stage British racing green. I have done the procedure to re-hydrate the paint with #7, rubbed it in well, let it sit overnite and rubbed on some more to remove the original application. Then I compounded (after taking many measurements) with FG 400 and then with Menzerna 3000 polish to refine. Quite a bit of color came back of course, and some areas are quite a bit better than others. This car had a steam pipe break on it and leak and I actually diminished the effects of that a lot, but I still have a good amount of cloudiness in the paint in some areas. I may be able to rub a bit more on these areas but I am a little apprehensive to do so, it's 40 year old paint, I don't know how thick the primer is etc. so far I'm safe, no strikethroughs. Any ideas?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Single stage cloudiness-image-jpg  

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Single stage cloudiness

When you said a steam pipe broke--was there heat damage to the paint? Or was it mineral spotting?

Post Thanks / Like

Spotting, no paint damage, only on the hood and that was the part that came out better! Picture is of trunk.

Post Thanks / Like

I have also done many ss paint rubs before, mostly Porsche which almost always come out really well. Perhaps Triumph is different. Running out of ideas here.

Post Thanks / Like

Well, you posted in the right place, Mike Phillips is the man to answer this question! I know he's been out of the office for several days so he's likely trying to get caught up but hopefully he'll be around soon.

I know he was working on some old single-stage paint the other day:

Presidential Railcar US No.1

Post Thanks / Like

Are you working by hand or machine?

If by machine, are you keeping your pads clean?

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Rastaral39 View Post

So I'm working on this 1976 Triumph TR6 with original single stage British racing green. I have done the procedure to re-hydrate the paint with #7, rubbed it in well, let it sit overnite and rubbed on some more to remove the original application.

Then I compounded (after taking many measurements) with FG 400 and then with Menzerna 3000 polish to refine.

Quite a bit of color came back of course, and some areas are quite a bit better than others.
    So at least to some level you can call these results success.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...9&d=1454514658

This car had a steam pipe break on it and leak and I actually diminished the effects of that a lot, but I still have a good amount of cloudiness in the paint in some areas.
    And that's what the pictures shows... a cloudy appearance.

I may be able to rub a bit more on these areas but I am a little apprehensive to do so, it's 40 year old paint,
    How are you doing the work?

By hand?

By machine?

If by machine, what machine and what pads? It can make a difference. For example, in the pictures shared above with Jason Rose and me working on the single stage paint on the train. We tried cutting with Meguiar's microfiber discs and while we removed the most defects using a fiber pad, (microfiber pads are fiber pads), the pads by themselves left the paint looking dull and hazy.

We switched over to soft yellow foam pads to apply the compound and BOOM the defects were removed and the paint looked clear and glossy.

So pad type and even machine type can be a factor.

I don't know how thick the primer is etc. so far I'm safe, no strikethroughs. Any ideas?

Could be as good as you're going to get it. A high quality finishing wax might amp of the clarity a little as might a final application of the #7 Show Car Glaze.

I've owned 6 British sports cars in my life including a 1974 and a 1975 Triumph Spitfire and in my opinion the factory paint on both cars were sub-standard compared to other single stage paints I had worked on in the late 1970's.

In fact my 1974 Spitfire came with an ugly chocolate brown single stage paint and it always looked kind of cloudy even after polishing and waxing.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Phillips@Autogeek View Post
    I've owned 6 British sports cars in my life including a 1974 and a 1975 Triumph Spitfire and in my opinion the factory paint on both cars were sub-standard compared to other single stage paints I had worked on in the late 1970's.
    Wow Mike, I never knew you were a sports car guy at one time! What a fun time that was with TR6's, TR7's, Spitfires, Stags, MGB's, and Fiat 124 Spiders running around. I never had any of those, but I did enjoy seeing them...I feel like I'm leaving one out, though...maybe the Alfa Spyder.

Post Thanks / Like

Mike and everyone, thanks for coming in. I did, as a last resort, apply more #7 by GG with 4inch orange on low speed, #2, just to work it in and it DID darken the paint some more (noticeably). This car is just whack as far as the paint goes, passenger side is what you would expect, some oxidizing but cleans up nice, drivers side has many hard scratches not removable and just 3 or 4 different paint scenarios on one car and measurements are all in the same ballpark! I've seen a similar situation a 68 Aston Martin that I did a while back, same color. Picture shows darkening line where my finger is. Porsche paint from that era is FAR better for bringing back to life.Thanks Mike, cheers from Naples Fla!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Single stage cloudiness-image-jpg  

Mike Phillips

Looks good...

Bring that car to the next Cars & Coffee on Saturday, February 14th. Wayne Carini will be here in person!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast