autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Mike Phillips

Tools for polishing paint by hand

Tools for polishing paint by hand

If you want to compound, polish or wax your car by hand here's a few tools that will take some of the elbow grease out of the project.

Most of working by hand is just that... working. It's you rubbing some type of applicator pad over the paint using your arm and hand primarily but also your legs, back and shoulders as you support yourself for the process.

About 20 years ago our industry hit a tipping point where the average person moved from working by hand to working by machine, There are two general reasons for this,

1. Modern basecoat/clearcoat paints are so hard that it's really difficult to actually remove swirls and scratches for the average person by hand.

You can definitely improve the overall appearance of a neglected paint finish by hand but to try do what a machine can do for major correction work it's really both time and labor intensive.

2. Safe, easy to use and affordable dual action polishers enabled the average person to purchase a polisher and move from working by hand to working by machine.

At the same time these simple and easy to use dual action polishers became available the Internet was also introduced and with the help of how-to articles on forums like AutogeekOnline.net, DVDs available at places like Autogeek.com and videos on YouTube, with a little research and practice it's not that hard to figure out how to use tools like the Porter Cable 7424XP or the Griot's Garage 6" DA Polisher or the Meguiar's MT300.

That said, if you want to work by hand then consider some of the below tools that will make rubbing a compound, polish or wax over the body panels of your car easier and faster as well as making your hand more effective for the job at hand... no pun intended.

This first thin you see is a hand backing pad for Nanoskin Autoscrub Pads which are used to remove above surface bonded contaminants the way you would use detailing clay. The Nanoskin pads are normally attached to the backing plate of a dual action polisher but Nanoskin also offers these hand backing pads so you can use them by hand.

The cool thing about the Nanoskin hand backing pads is one side has velcro to hold pretty much any type of pad and the other side has an adjustable velcro strap to hold it on your hand. Thus you can apply pressure to the paint with a fairly large footprint or hand print when applying compounds, polishes and waxes.

The pictures kind of show you what I mean and the foam pads are 6.5" ThinPro pads. The white foam is "polishing" and the black pad is "finishing" so they are both very safe for use with just about any quality product for doing paint polishing and waxing.

Nanoskin also makes a small finger backing pad and pictures are the small 3" ThinPro foam pads.

Here's a few more tools to make working by hand easy...

Lexol offers a round applicator pad with a sleeve in it to place your hand.

Carrand offers this nifty plastic handle that grips microfiber pads. The kit includes two microfiber pads.

Meguiar's offers a 2-pack of really high quality microfiber pads but you have to grip thin with your hand or between your thumb and fingers while all the options I show above provide a tick easier way to hold and work your products.

All these are available at Autogeek.com

If you need help getting them simply call our Tech Hotline at,

1-800-869-3011

And any of our staff can help you locate just the right products and tools for your detailing project.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Tools for polishing paint by hand

Just looking at the pictures make my muscles sore

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Dereksdtail View Post

Just looking at the pictures make my muscles sore
    I've done whole car rub-outs by hand... it's a lot of work.

The thing is so many people are still working by hand and so much of the talk on any detailing discussion forum or even Facebook is focused on working by machine.

So I'm going to be creating more articles for working by hand for all the people still working by hand.

Once you make the jump from working by hand to working by machine the old light bulb goes off in the brain and you come to the realization that you should have made the switch years ago...

But until someone puts a simple tool like the Porter Cable 7424XP into your hands and shows you how easy it is to use, especially compared to trying to work by hand, well a person just doesn't know.

I know this for a fact as someone that has without a doubt taught thousands of people how to work by machine.

One thing for sure, once a person makes the switch they always say the same thing,

I should have done this years ago

Post Thanks / Like

Hmmmmm. 20 years ago=1996ish. Heck, I was using an orbital in the 70's. Yes it was big and bulky but it did the job. The only time I worked by hand compounding/polishing was on very small sections.

Dave

Mike Phillips