autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Advice/Questions for Single Stage BMW Paint

Hello everyone, very soon i'll be tackling the paint on my E30 Touring. It's been a long time coming this project so i'm pretty excited to do it. Since the paint is single stage i'm going to let the paint sit with Meguiar's #7 like Mike Phillips mentions in his detailing single stage paint articles.

I'm just not entirely sure what products to use after this. The car is swirled and has water spots as well as some light scratches. I have the Boss Perfecting Cream line and wanted to know if this would be good for it. I've never detailed single stage paint and have only worked over clearcoat. It's worked well on that but don't know what it will be like on SS. I won't be starting this project for another few weeks so i'd like to get some input on best products. I've read very good things about the Pinnacle Advanced Swirl Remover and Advanced Finishing Polish. I feel I will probably get the same if not very similar results with the BOSS creams already so i don't want to spend money on something if I don't need to. Everything will be used with a Griot's Garage random orbital. I may be purchasing a Flex 3401 soon for myself as an early Christmas present though

As far as pads go I was going to go with the Lake Country flat pads. Was going to go with mostly white for the correcting step and then blue for the finishing step. I have a few black pads to apply my wax/sealant already. Any other recommendation as far as pad choice goes? I don't want to go with an aggressive pad since it is SS.

Any input would be much appreciated. Thanks everyone!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Advice/Questions for Single Stage BMW Paint

Both the BOSS CC and FC work very well with SS paint. I've used both with their yellow and orange pads and they've come out perfect. Try out the FC on yellow first and if that's not cutting it, try CC on the yellow, then move up to FC on orange, then CC on orange if needed.

I highly recommend metering the paint especially since it's SS paint.

Mike Phillips

Sorry for the late reply, been a tick busy. Now days, when I leave the state for a roadshow class or any other event, I share that I'll be offline, at least not at my normal office desk. While I'll be posting, it will be very specific to the event I'm at.

See here,

Offline for a few days - Atlanta, Georgia Roadshow Class!

Quote Originally Posted by wrr1020 View Post

Hello everyone, very soon i'll be tackling the paint on my E30 Touring. It's been a long time coming this project so i'm pretty excited to do it.

Since the paint is single stage i'm going to let the paint sit with Meguiar's #7 like Mike Phillips mentions in his detailing single stage paint articles.
    The #7 Technique is really for paint that is visibly oxidized, if it has a shine to it at all then in most cases I would start with the correction steps and follow with #7 before sealing with a wax or sealant.

I'm just not entirely sure what products to use after this. The car is swirled and has water spots as well as some light scratches.

I have the Boss Perfecting Cream line and wanted to know if this would be good for it.

I've never detailed single stage paint and have only worked over clearcoat. It's worked well on that but don't know what it will be like on SS.
    The Boss Perfecting Cream is a great product. It uses GREAT abrasive technology and it will work just fine on the single stage paint on your BMW.

I've read very good things about the Pinnacle Advanced Swirl Remover and Advanced Finishing Polish. I feel I will probably get the same if not very similar results with the BOSS creams already so i don't want to spend money on something if I don't need to.
    I show the Pinnacle compounds and polishes in all my classes, it too uses GREAT abrasive technology. The abrasive technology it uses is VERY different than the abrasive technology used by Griot's BOSS creams. I'd trust any of the Griot's or Pinnacle compounds and polishes on BLACK paint.

Everything will be used with a Griot's Garage random orbital.
    I show the Pinnacle products with the Griot's 6" random orbital polisher at all my classes, this is a sure-fire combo for any paint. In fact, you can see my Atlanta class using this combo on an old 2-door Chevy just this last weekend and the results were nothing short of perfect.

Offline for a few days - Atlanta, Georgia Roadshow Class!

But we used the Griot's BOSS system at the class too and the cars we used the BOSS system also came our PERFECT.

I may be purchasing a Flex 3401 soon for myself as an early Christmas present though

Super tool. My quote goes like this,

With the FLEX 3401 you can POWER through any detail job!

As far as pads go I was going to go with the Lake Country flat pads. Was going to go with mostly white for the correcting step and then blue for the finishing step. I have a few black pads to apply my wax/sealant already. Any other recommendation as far as pad choice goes? I don't want to go with an aggressive pad since it is SS.

Any input would be much appreciated. Thanks everyone!

Yes stick with simple flat pads, they are your friend.

My final thoughts are - the softest paint there is - is single stage black paint. So always take the least aggressive approach and be sure to do a TEST SPOT to one small section on the hood or trunk lid and MAKE SURE you can make that one section look like you hope and dream about before buffing out the entire car.

If you run into problems, post back here what you're seeing and myself and our forum will do our best to help.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you both very much for your replies. I will be starting the project tomorrow and it will be a work in progress. Hopefully everything goes smoothly, will report back with pictures of the finished product.