Quote Originally Posted by emmjay View Post
Hey guys, I recently had my windshield replaced with an original VW windshield due to a damaged windshield.

Before the car went in to get fixed my wipers were perfectly fine and would "wipe", while washing the car the water would bead and roll off or sheet off depending on if I was using a hose or my pressure washer.

Fast forward a week later: I got my car back and was cleaning it, noticed the water did not bead or sheet and just sat on the glass like a film...

A few days later we got a sandstorm with some rain and I had to turn on the wipers and holy S*** I was blind and could not see anything in front of me. The wipers did not wipe and just smeared the water all over the windshield, similar to the film when the car was being washed, the water did not bead or sheet either. It was like a standstill film of water.

Could someone help me out on how to fix this?? Wiper blades are new and the car is only 2 years old...

Thanks

I EMMJAY,
not sure if still relevant - that defect looks like the defect I got on a recently changed windscreen.
I complained with the dealer (original part) and got it changed.
The dealer said they get 4-5 of these defect windscreen a year.
The likely cause (according to a glass expert at the dealership/service) is due to residue from the protective plastic film that they apply at the factory.
If the film is applied on the screen, while the screen is too hot, then some plastic from the film may be absorbed by the glass, which is a porous material.
This means that there is nothing one can do to make this effect go away and that the windscreen is factory defect and the dealer/service should substitute it.