autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Close Up Images on the Finished Product

First of all, this is no way intended to call anyone out nor to question the integrity of anyone's work, because the results that many of you produce are to envy.

Mike Phillips, you possess a wealth of information and document your work wonderfully with excellent write ups as well as great before and after photos, but I wonder why "after" close up images are sometimes not included?

Again, my inquiry is not to question the level of perfection you achieve with each paint correction, or to challenge your work ethic and level of skill. I simply desire a bit more transparency in what you deem to be acceptable given the amount of time, the products and tools you have chosen to complete the job.

There are many times that I get vehicles similar in condition, and it seems that I can work on them for hours upon hours. When it is all said and done the results are good, but there is never perfection. The results, I see in the photos from write-ups look like you have achieved perfection. Assuming you have achieved flawless or near flawless results it would be great to show that, so that we as mere mortals can strive for similar results. If there are still imperfections would it be worth an extra photo or two to show us that no matter how much we try, what is acceptable based on your expertise?

Here are a couple of photos I refer to:

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Close Up Images on the Finished Product

Photos are a great indicator but can't really tell the whole story.

Photos do not do justice for how nice a pristine vehicle really looks. On the other hand, a mediocre vehicle can look just as nice as the pristine vehicle in a photo.

Post Thanks / Like

In my opinion, if you are going to claim paint correction was done; you must include close-ups, 50/50's and if possible sun shots

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by bwatereagleman View Post

First of all, this is no way intended to call anyone out nor to question the integrity of anyone's work, because the results that many of you produce are to envy.

Mike Phillips, you possess a wealth of information and document your work wonderfully with excellent write ups as well as great before and after photos, but I wonder why "after" close up images are sometimes not included?
    I think if anyone wants to look through my posting history on any forum you'll find not only do I document before, during and after I do it thoroughly. I also do it in a way that my pictures never disappear. I can't say that for others as too often, all that's left of their pictures are red x's or some type of graphic like this,

Quote Originally Posted by bwatereagleman View Post

Here are a couple of photos I refer to:

And not only am I fairly confident that these represent the extreme exception to the rule, (that is I fully document my work and have been since the software you're reading and typing on was invented), but there's a perfectly good answer as to why there's no,

1. Full write-ups for these cars.
    Think for a minute, For this Ferrari, all you can find a a few pictures of the before condition and one or two of the after condition but NO WRITE-UP? Isn't that contrary to my normal protocol? Don't I normally always post a full write-up for my work? Including steps, products used, full before, during and after shots?

2. No "after" close-ups are available for these cars.
    Again, why are there no other pictures for the Ferrari and the Trans-Am?

You as a great question bwatereagleman... and allow me to answer your question with a question?

Has anyone noticed any new additions to my signature line?

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by AGOatemywallet View Post

In my opinion, if you are going to claim paint correction was done; you must include close-ups, 50/50's and if possible sun shots

Most of my life I've invested the time to,

• Stop what I'm doing, (buffing), to take pictures.
    • Taken the time to go through hundreds of pictures.
    • Pick out the best (in focus).
    • Crop out the fluff.
    • Resize to 800 pixels wide.
    • Upload to the gallery.
    • Insert into a thread
    • Add copy that describes the action, tools, pads, products.

And then no discussion. Or very little. Kind of takes away the incentive to do all of the above work.

On a related note...
    One time while reading another forum I saw where one forum member called out another forum member because of the lack of taking "proper" pictures. Upon doing a quick search of the member doing the calling out I could not find a single thread they created showing pictures they took of their work.

Mike Phillips

Here's a typical Mike Phillips thread with not only full documentation of,

1. Before
    2. During
    3. After

But it's also a guide as to how to position a car in the same direction for capturing before and after pictures in FULL SUN.

I think there's OVER 100 pictures in this thread. I don't know if I've ever seen anyone one else fully document a car project as fully picture documented as this thread.

NEW! Meguiar’s Foam Buffing Discs

Mike Phillips

Here's another "how to article" on how to take good pictures. In this case I went to the effort to actully park the truck in the exact same location for both the before and the after pictures.

And of course there's a FULL write-up showing the work performed.

1987 Chevy 4x4 Monster Truck "Before & After" Pictures

I could do this all day....

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you Mike for your response, and again this was not meant to take a shot at you at all. After reading your response post, I realized the thread I was reading was not the actual write up and documentation of these particular vehicles. They were however used as a reference, and I apologize if I came off as sounding as it never done. It was totally not my intent to offend.

My intent was only to say these cars were in bad shape to start, and after they look great. Even if these photos were used as reference, I was just looking for that close up to see what might or might not have been left behind. Undoubtedly, your full write ups include these. Again, it was never intended to sound like it was never done.

Yes, I have noticed the additions to your signature, and I get it. Your time is split in so many areas to help us become more knowledgeable in this industry. Your passion for your craft helps fuel this desire to do so. I appreciate your willingness to educate, and to respond to something as simple a forum post.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Phillips@Autogeek View Post
    Most of my life I've invested the time to,

• Stop what I'm doing, (buffing), to take pictures.
    • Taken the time to go through hundreds of pictures.
    • Pick out the best (in focus).
    • Crop out the fluff.
    • Resize to 800 pixels wide.
    • Upload to the gallery.
    • Insert into a thread
    • Add copy that describes the action, tools, pads, products.

And then no discussion. Or very little. Kind of takes away the incentive to do all of the above work.

On a related note...
    One time while reading another forum I saw where one forum member called out another forum member because of the lack of taking "proper" pictures. Upon doing a quick search of the member doing the calling out I could not find a single thread they created showing pictures they took of their work.

I read your articles word for word. I even gave a shout out to you on Instagram and Facebook for you sharing your single stage restoration technique. I believe it was the pic which is currently my avatar. Anyways I typically don't comment on the older articles because they're a few years old and I don't want to be that guy who dredges up old stuff, and I figure that everything has already been said.
    Thanks for all the info you post.

Post Thanks / Like

Dang I never seen a Ferrari so so neglected what ashame.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast