autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Washing the new carI just purchased a new car and and I am quickly learning the importance of detailing and car maintenance. I am looking forward to w

I just purchased a new car and and I am quickly learning the importance of detailing and car maintenance. I am looking forward to washing it for the first time.

I reside in an apartment and I don't have a hose or power sprayer, back yard etc...I also don't have time to hand wash it at the certain hand wash stations in my area.

There are locations that hand wash vehicles but I am not sure what mitts and drying cloths they use. I thought " touch less" was the way to go until I learned of the harsh chemicals used.

My car needs a wash now anyone have any suggestions? Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Washing the new carI just purchased a new car and and I am quickly learning the importance of detailing and car maintenance. I am looking forward

You seem to have shot down every method already. What about rinseless or waterless?
    "Dirt likes detergent so much better than the surface that it's attached to, it'll leave that surface to go hang out with the soap"...aim4squirrels

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Washing the new carI just purchased a new car and and I am quickly learning the importance of detailing and car maintenance. I am looking forward

if it not really dirty, use rinseless or waterless.

Post Thanks / Like

First off welcome to the forum. There is a plethora of experts and myriad of product choices on the forum. From what you described thus far, you would be a good candidate for the waterless/rinseless product lines. Again there quite a few within this line. The main benefit to these products is you don't need a hose/garage/heavy access to water. In the case of the waterless it is a simply a heavily lubricated solution which when sprayed on a mildly dirty car it lifts the dirt and a light wipe from a plush microfiber towel will take it away. A rinseless product is the next step up and I would say more appropriate for the slightly dirtier car (one does not have caked mud/heavy dirt accumulation). This one involves a bucket or two of solution mixes and a series of microfiber towels soaked in the solution.

I was a bit resistent to the two solutions at first and only recently tried the waterless am I am impressed and am enjoying the extra time I get in my weekend 'washes'.

In any case make sure you are enjoying it and come back to the forum when you need help.

Quote Originally Posted by Chala View Post
    I just purchased a new car and and I am quickly learning the importance of detailing and car maintenance. I am looking forward to washing it for the first time.

I reside in an apartment and I don't have a hose or power sprayer, back yard etc...I also don't have time to hand wash it at the certain hand wash stations in my area.

There are locations that hand wash vehicles but I am not sure what mitts and drying cloths they use. I thought " touch less" was the way to go until I learned of the harsh chemicals used.

Post Thanks / Like

If you can't bring the hose to you, go to the hose.

No reason why you can't get your own supplies (bucket, mitt, shampoo, microfiber, etc) and go to one of those manual car wash stations. The kind where you feed quarters and it has a powere washer.

No need to use their brush, who knows what's on it. Use your equipment, and their water.

YouTube has a couple of videos of folks doing this. Some are pretty extreme - as in filling buckets with soapy water at the house in order to not waste any of the paid time at the machine. Others a bit more relaxed with just tossing the equipment into the back seat and heading out.

As others mentioned, waterless car wash has gotten popular with many.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dcjredline View Post
    You seem to have shot down every method already. What about rinseless or waterless?
    Was not sure what rinseless was till irvsmith explained below, i am a bit concerned about removal of the product once applied, dirt won't scratch my finish?

Quote Originally Posted by aRYip View Post
    if it not really dirty, use rinseless or waterless.
    What if it is dirty?
    Quote Originally Posted by irvsmith View Post
    In the case of the waterless it is a simply a heavily lubricated solution which when sprayed on a mildly dirty car it lifts the dirt and a light wipe from a plush microfiber towel will take it away. A rinseless product is the next step up and I would say more appropriate for the slightly dirtier car (one does not have caked mud/heavy dirt accumulation). This one involves a bucket or two of solution mixes and a series of microfiber towels soaked in the solution.

I was a bit resistent to the two solutions at first and only recently tried the waterless am I am impressed and am enjoying the extra time I get in my weekend 'washes'.

In any case make sure you are enjoying it and come back to the forum when you need help.
    Thanks i don't mind using water, maybe by taking it to a hand wash detail shop i am just worried about their equipment
    Quote Originally Posted by Ticktwo View Post
    If you can't bring the hose to you, go to the hose.

No reason why you can't get your own supplies (bucket, mitt, shampoo, microfiber, etc) and go to one of those manual car wash stations. The kind where you feed quarters and it has a powere washer.

No need to use their brush, who knows what's on it. Use your equipment, and their water.

YouTube has a couple of videos of folks doing this. Some are pretty extreme - as in filling buckets with soapy water at the house in order to not waste any of the paid time at the machine. Others a bit more relaxed with just tossing the equipment into the back seat and heading out.

As others mentioned, waterless car wash has gotten popular with many.
    I would like to go to a place that hand washes vehicles and bring my own supplies (bucket, mitt, shampoo, microfiber, etc) but i don't know if they would go for that.

Basically folks i am trying to get some advice if i can't wash it with water myself. Maybe i will look at those waterless washes

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Look at the Rinseless or Waterless "systems", if the car is really dirty go to a self serve wash and spray it off with their pressure wand first then go home and do the rinseless.

You dont have to be resigned to a swirled up brand new car.

Post Thanks / Like

"I want to eat pizza and drink beer for every meal every day but I don't want to get fat."

That is what your post sounds like. If you want to keep your car swirl free, you need to "make time" to employ proper wash methods.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gsbell View Post
    Look at the Rinseless or Waterless "systems", if the car is really dirty go to a self serve wash and spray it off with their pressure wand first then go home and do the rinseless.

You dont have to be resigned to a swirled up brand new car.

I agree with gsbell. As long as it is not too hot for the water to create spots I would then head home and do the waterless/rinseless.

You could also do a waterless/rinseless on a single section and see what results you get. Larry Kosilla mentioned doing the right rear quarter panel since that is the least seen by the driver for test spots.

But as I said make sure it is fun!

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Chala View Post

Rinseless or waterless solution is the way to go, if you do not want to hire a professional (not a regular hand washing station) or do not have access to water. You should do your research on how to properly use a rinseless or waterless solution beforehand. Washing your car sounds like a simple process, but there is a reason why so many detailers make it an actual profession. There is undoubtedly a science and proper methods that need to be followed to avoid any damage to your clear coat. Most hand washing locations (not all) unfortunately do not use the proper methods necessary, like the 2 bucket method, reuse dirty towels that are not properly washed and just hung up to dry, or will start washing your car from the wheels up with the same towel, causing swirls in your paint.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast