autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Rupes pad issues...

I'm trying to figure out what went wrong here. I had to use 3 new green Rupes foam pads to polish, just polish, my whole car with Rupes Quarz Medium Polish. I kept them clean after 3-4 passes, but that wasn't sufficient enough. The polish didn't want to come off the pad. I produced mass amounts of dust, why, I don't know. There were a couple times I put too much polish on the pad. Maybe that's why I produced too much dust? On one pad the backing piece started pealing off from the pad. I attached a couple of pics to this thread, please have a look.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Rupes pad issues...-img_0323-jpg   Rupes pad issues...-img_0324-jpg   Rupes pad issues...-img_0326-jpg   Rupes pad issues...-img_0365-jpg   Rupes pad issues...-img_0366-jpg  

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Rupes pad issues...

I have not had a problem with any Rupes pads or any other I have used with the Rupes. They are a PITA to remove. I very carefully pull them off. I like the fact that they stay in place, but some folks have bought the blue backing plate and have said the pads come off easier.

Post Thanks / Like

Too much polish.

Too much heat

Too much downward pressure.

Overworking the polish.

Likely a combination of all the above will cause this. Tell tale signs are failure of the pads and the clumping of the polish on the pads face.

The more aggressive the Rupes polish, the more they dust. But the pads shouldn't come apart and the polish shouldn't clump up on the face.

Is this your first time with a polisher?

Post Thanks / Like

Shake the polish and when you think your ready to apply to your pad, shake it a few more times. Apply to the out side of the pad. Use lower speeds (4-5) when first starting out. Clean after every panel and change pads often. The above steps should help your polishing problems.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by swanicyouth View Post
    Too much polish.

Too much heat

Too much downward pressure.

Overworking the polish.

Likely a combination of all the above will cause this. Tell tale signs are failure of the pads and the clumping of the polish on the pads face.

The more aggressive the Rupes polish, the more they dust. But the pads shouldn't come apart and the polish shouldn't clump up on the face.

Is this your first time with a polisher?
    No, it's my first time using a Rupes on my car. I'm coming from an XP : / So, always shake the bottle before applying and use the 3 dots (nickel size)?

Post Thanks / Like

Rupes pad issues...

Did you use compressed air to clean the pad after each pass? Pass meaning section 2x2 or so area.

Post Thanks / Like

I would prime it with a layer of the product and then put the three/four dots as opposed to just the dots.

Post Thanks / Like

3 pads on an entire car really isn't a lot though. I've used that many on a single panel.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by irvsmith View Post
    I would prime it with a layer of the product and then put the three/four dots as opposed to just the dots.

I agree priming the pad is a very important step

Post Thanks / Like

Rupes pad issues...

Quote Originally Posted by Sixbanger View Post
    No, it's my first time using a Rupes on my car. I'm coming from an XP : / So, always shake the bottle before applying and use the 3 dots (nickel size)?

Despite what's been said above, you should not prime Rupes pads if you are using their polishes. You can give it a spray with DI water or QD - but priming their pads using their system is not recommended. Priming their pads is using WAY too much polish and setting yourself up for a mess.

The main difference in coming from an XP is the Rupes needs very little downward pressure - just a few pounds. Whereas, the PC needs ~ 15lbs or so of downward pressure for correction.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast