autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Paint blemishes on brand new vehicle

I purchased a 2015 Nissan Frontier 2 months ago and noticed these blemishes while detailing. Initially there was only one, but now two more have popped up. They are very small and look like little bumps the size of a pin head. But the middle of each one is missing paint completely. Almost like there was an air bubble that popped after the paint cured. I am worried that more will appear as these 2 new ones just appeared. Is this something that can be fixed? I would assume it should be handled under warranty.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Paint blemishes on brand new vehicle-image-jpg  

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Paint blemishes on brand new vehicle

And another one by the door handle
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Paint blemishes on brand new vehicle-image-jpg  

Post Thanks / Like

And one more...

Post Thanks / Like

Take it back to the dealer and don't mess with it, before they blame it on you.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rsurfer View Post
    Take it back to the dealer and don't mess with it, before they blame it on you.
    Yeah, I will do so. It is obvious they are not from rock chips. They almost look like little craters. I'm just afraid that the dealer "fix" will be a botch job and mess up the factory paint.

Post Thanks / Like

From here they kinda look like "solvent pop".
    I suppose that's a possibility, in an OEM paint kitchen?

Yes...
    Let the Dealership document (possibly repair?) these
    blemishes for your, & the vehicle's paint warranty, benefit.

I'll suggest that you start a "paint-documentation-file",
    as well.

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Post Thanks / Like

Well thank you for the advice. Just had the truck looked at, and the Nissan body shop took photos and are submitting them to Nissan corporate for repair approval. According to the body shop manager, this type of defect requires a repaint as he stated that "something" is causing the paint to react. I am not too pleased with an entire vehicle repaint being required on a brand new truck with 800 miles on it. The manager assured me that their facility has the capability to "bake" the new paint and that it would be to factory spec. I don't know if I believe that...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ugafiredawg View Post
    Well thank you for the advice. Just had the truck looked at, and the Nissan body shop took photos and are submitting them to Nissan corporate for repair approval. According to the body shop manager, this type of defect requires a repaint as he stated that "something" is causing the paint to react. I am not too pleased with an entire vehicle repaint being required on a brand new truck with 800 miles on it. The manager assured me that their facility has the capability to "bake" the new paint and that it would be to factory spec. I don't know if I believe that...
    Yeah, and he also has a bridge he wants to sell you for cheap. Like Bob recommended, start a file and keep good documentation. Look at this way, a re-paint will give you a lot of paint protection.

Post Thanks / Like

The dealer telling you he has an oven to bake it like the factory is not correct. Cars at the factory are baked prior to any electronics or interior getting installed so they don't melt. Because of this, they can run the ovens very hot.

I had something similar happen once and it worked in my favor. They sent it to a custom shop that did an amazing paint job. I kept the car for 4 years, put 140K miles on it and it still looked amazing when I traded it in.

They'll make it right, it will look great and it will last a long time. Don't waste any amount of heartache over it...