autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Question Time frame detailing car

hey guys quick question. today or tomorrow i am first going to use a nano skin mitt, compound, polish, and wax (all with DA polisher) my mothers car. i have always done all of these things at the same time. i was wondering if say i use the mitt then compound and then run out of daylight (my mom dont bring the car back to later in the day) can i finish the polishing and waxing tomorow? or can i take a break anywhere else in the order of things. also i do not have a garage the car is in the driveway and it might be driven in between not far tho about 3 miles and back. even tho it will be outside there is no bad (rainy) weather expected.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Time frame detailing car

First and foremost, you do not want to be compounding and polishing in direct sunlight on hot paint.

What I would do in your situation is plan your method of attack using the morning hours. So, in the morning if the sun rises behind your house you have a few hours right there of shade up front and or vise versa. And no you do not have to complete all the steps at once. Give it a good wash and clay job and hit it with a compound. Then finish the rest later in the day or the following morning. Think though and try using your polish with the proper pad....you may not need to compound at all saving you a ton of time. If the car is simply driven to the store and back Just be sure to wipe the vehicle down with a clean microfiber and some quick cleaner. (I like Griots Speed Shine)

Anyway good luck and hope that helps!

Post Thanks / Like

yeh its hard in the morning cause that is when the car is not here. I only have access to it later in the day. But part of my driveway goes up onto the side of my house and there is a tree that doesnt sit right over that part of the driveway but it is positioned where it direct's shade right to this spot in the afternoon so i should be ok with that. I figured i can do wash clay and compound later today. Then my mom will take the car tomorrow morning again only a 3 mile drive. Then when she get home later tomorrow after noon i can finish polish and wax. Sound ok? Dose any one think on the 2nd day before i start polishing i should rinse and dry with microfiber towel or i have a air compressor maybe i could just blow it with air to get rid of any dirt that accumulated between day 1 and day 2 ???? any advice is appreciated!!!

Post Thanks / Like

The only way you can any detail correctly, properly and safely is to have the vehicle with you from start to finish.

The car could be driven around the block after you just wiped it down. Guess what, you're going to have to wipe it down all over again only now you have the extra work of making sure that while you're wiping the vehicle down that there isn't any contaminant now on the surface that could potentially scratch the surface.

Block one day off for the work. Start. Finish. Done.
    The Finishing Touch Auto Detail, LLC
    Serving Austin, TX | San Antonio, TX | Portfolio | Reviews | Contact Us

Post Thanks / Like

I agree, unless you can keep it over night locked up (or in your possession not driven) I would wait. There really isnt a great stopping point after the compounding begins. If you wash it then she takes it and then you wash again, clay, compound, polish that would be ok.
    "Dirt likes detergent so much better than the surface that it's attached to, it'll leave that surface to go hang out with the soap"...aim4squirrels

Post Thanks / Like

I wouldn't see any harm as stated above. I would agree that claying again certainly wouldn't hurt anything. I detailed a very large truck (dually). It was a 2 day job so I simply kept it parked in the garage until the following morning. Good luck and send a few before/after. Good luck!

Post Thanks / Like

I have done jobs split up in stages and simply take some ONR to the next sections before continuing.

Post Thanks / Like

Depending on the condition of the paint. Anywhere from 10 hours to 18 hours which would include the interior and engine compartment.