autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

2 years with Opti-coat - not very happy

Hi All -

I took a chance 2 years ago and applied Opti-Coat to my 2011 Phantom Black Audi S4. It worked well for the first year. After 2 winters however and the usual NE wear and tear it no longer beads water. I have attached 2 pictures that show what the surface looks like when I try and dry it after a good wash.

My question is what should be my next steps to either 1) repair the coating or 2) remove the coating.

I used to be the kind of guy that would wash and wax my car every weekend but life happened. After getting married and buying a house I'm lucky if that's now once a month. In addition I have a baby on the way. In a nutshell my preference would be to clean it up in the spring, maybe a good detail mid-summer, and prepare it for the winter. Anything that would happen in between would be just a basic wash.

Here are the pictures, again both of which are during the drying process (MF waffle towel)....any guidance would be appreciated!

Untitled by sicklyscott, on Flickr

Untitled by sicklyscott, on Flickr

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: 2 years with Opti-coat - not very happy

If it helps I do have some amateur experience with paint correction. I have both a flex and PC DAs with various foam pads.

Post Thanks / Like

Have you tried claying the surface and using a more aggressive wash? It shouldn't strip the Opti-Coat but may return the hydrophobic properties of it.

Post Thanks / Like

It's been said that OC 2.0 can pick up some surface contamination that interferes with the beading, etc. Perhaps one of the very fine clays like the Sonus white or the Meguiar's OTC white would be worth a try to see if you can restore it, or a chemical decon approach like Optimum FerreX or CarPro Iron-X.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I have clayed the car and it helps greatly on the lower side panels (Opti-coat seems to be "sticky"). The horizontal panels don't seem to improve much.

I haven't tried a chemical decon, I do have some Wolf's decon which I may try.

I wash the car with the previous version of Adam's car wash (bright pink). Can you recommend a more aggressive soap?

Post Thanks / Like

Theoretically you should be able to use a diluted APC to wash OC 2.0 (or maybe mixed with your shampoo so you don't lose any lubricity).

Post Thanks / Like

APC is a great way to wash a coated car. I assume you have Adam's APC since you have their car wash. A few ounces of their APC thrown into your wash is a great and safe way to make a more aggressive shampoo.

Post Thanks / Like

Since you said you've already clayed, I would try a non-abrasive paint cleaner on a white pad.

No matter if the coating is there or not there, the paint should now bead and sheet water. Clean paint is actually better than some waxes at sheeting water.

Then if you notice the beading and sheeting dropping away after 2 weeks or 1 month or so, you can tell the coating is no longer there. If it still beads and sheets after a month, the coating is still working for you, just needed to be cleaned.
    Nova College of Dental Medicine Class of 2017
    Please check out my detailing YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/roshan517

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post
    Theoretically you should be able to use a diluted APC to wash OC 2.0 (or maybe mixed with your shampoo so you don't lose any lubricity).
    I am with Setec IF the technical information is accurate, otherwise be ready for the "user error" comments LOL!

https://www.facebook.com/FlawlessFinishDetailing
    Dr. Claude Tremblay, Co-owner/Senior Detailer, Certified CQuartz FINEST Installer

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ihaveacamaro View Post
    Since you said you've already clayed, I would try a non-abrasive paint cleaner on a white pad.

No matter if the coating is there or not there, the paint should now bead and sheet water. Clean paint is actually better than some waxes at sheeting water.

Then if you notice the beading and sheeting dropping away after 2 weeks or 1 month or so, you can tell the coating is no longer there. If it still beads and sheets after a month, the coating is still working for you, just needed to be cleaned.
    Any recommendations on a good cleaner that can be used with a DA?

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast