autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Mike Phillips

How to remove random, isolated SHALLOW scratches - 2010 Turbo 911 Porsche

How to remove random, isolated SHALLOW scratches - 2010 Turbo 911 Porsche

Follow along and I share the story....

Last night at the local Tuesday Night CarSpa Car Show we removed a few random scratches out of the hood of a black Porsche. I met the owner, Charlie at the Wheels Across the Pond Car show we worked just a few weeks ago.

He told me while he thinks his car was wiped down at a car show by some of the attendants while it was on display and from this a number of straight light scratches were inflected into the otherwise new condition paint on his beautiful black Porsche 911 Turbo.

At the Wheels Across the Pond car show I told him to bring his Porsche to the Tuesday night car show in Stuart, Florida where we sponsor the show and set up a demo booth.

Here we are setting up the booth and Charlie has already parked the car under the booth after we hung the overhead florescent lights.

Setting up at the Tuesday night car show...

Danielle and Andre

Fingerpainting Scratches

If you look closely you can see strips and drops of Pinnacle Advanced Compound that I placed directly onto all the newly inflicted scratches on the hood of his Porsche.

I do this simply using my finger to apply and spread the compound out in the direction of the scratch in the paint so I know exactly where to buff.

Going up on edge
    This is where you have to be careful so you don't end up buying the car owner a new paint job. Helps to have a little experience, some confidence and a little luck.

Normally back at the studio at Autogeek I would use the Rupes TA50 with a 1" Trizact #5000 grit sanding disc to carefully sand on top of the scratch and then use a Flex PE8 to massage out the sanding marks like I did here.

AT the show, I don't have access to an air compressor so I use a lot more basic approach of simply going up on edge with a 6.5" Orange Hybrid Cutting pad and lightly buff on the scratches.

When you go up on edge like this you can create a LOT of heat very quickly because,

A: You're buffing on edge with a coarse foam.

B: You're buffing a very small area so the heat does not have a chance to dissipate since you never move the pad very far away from the spot your buffing.

Pad edge in the air
    Here you can see the side of the pad away is in the air instead of flat against the paint and that's because I'm using just the edge of the pad to concentrated all the abrading to a much smaller area.

Finishing the process
    Andrea, my photographer was busy with the booth so no pictures showing,

Machine polishing the entire hood using Pinnacle Advanced Swirl Remover (after compounding just the scratches)
    Machine polishing with Pinnacle Advanced Finishing Polish - to maximize the gloss and clarity

Here Andrea caught up with me and took a shot of the hood being machine waxed.

Thin, uniform coat of wax
    Machine waxing is the only way to fly for this guy....

How to remove a coat of wax by hand

Then I shared the proper technique to,

1. Inspect a microfiber towel
    2. Fold a microfiber towel.
    3. Hold a microfiber towel.
    4. Remove wax with a microfiber towel.

Good technique is important when working on perfected paint otherwise you can simply re-inflict scratches.

Here's Charlie and his buddy helping me by wiping off the wax.

Inspection Time
    This is the part I love - that's when people look and look and look trying to find the scratches or even remnants of the scratches...

Thank you Charlie for trusting Autogeek with your black Porsche 911 Turbo!

Meanwhile back on the farm...
    It was around 90 degrees out so while I was buffing car owners borrowed the shade from the tree we park under....

Post Thanks / Like

Re: How to remove random, isolated SHALLOW scratches - Black Turbo 911 Porsche

Wow Way cool! Thanks for the info. Just bought some liquid Pinnacle Wax and will be using it this weekend on a Merc Benz
    CJ
    2013 Mustang GT w/Track Pack 6-Speed Manual
    Save the Manual!

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Kamakaz1961 View Post

Wow Way cool! Thanks for the info.

Just bought some liquid Pinnacle Wax and will be using it this weekend on a Merc Benz

1. Apply a thin coat.
    2. Allow wax to dry to a haze.
    3. Enjoy how easy it wipes off and the clear high shine it leaves.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: How to remove random, isolated SHALLOW scratches - 2010 Turbo 911 Porsche

Nice work Boss!

Mike Phillips

Re: How to remove random, isolated SHALLOW scratches - 2010 Turbo 911 Porsche

Quote Originally Posted by Mike@DedicatedPerfection View Post

Nice work Boss!

Thanks. A lot easier to do in a controlled environment that live at a car show but easy and slow gets the job done.

Owner said the Porsche set him back a few bills. From his story he flew to Nuremberg and was taken for a ride in his Porsche by a qualified driver before it was shipped to the U.S.

That's a pretty cool experience.

Post Thanks / Like

"Each one, teach one."

Brilliant Mike.

Not only did he get the scratches fixed but he learnt how to do it himself, the tools needed to do the job etc & probably the confidence to actually "do it" also.

He is likely to go away from this experience & talk about it amongst his buddies & perhaps even be in the situation to fix someone else's scratches on their car or at least share how gorgeous the Pinnacle wax is to work with. How easy it is to get all thats needed to care for his car (& others) by dealing with the knowledgeable folks at Autogeek!

And "each one, teach one" carries on . . .

Stella work Mike!

Aaryn NZ.