autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Window help needed

I was washing my gf white 2015 honda accord coupe. After washing it there was a ton of etching of water spots and specs all over the windows. Funny thing is that I never had this problem on my 2014 accord coupe windshield. The 2015 only has 5000 miles and the windshield looks like its 10 years old. When the sun hits the windshield it has a glitter effect or looks like it been sandblasted.

Ive tried everything, vinegar, clay, Carpro Ceriglass Polish (with a white pad on my DA polisher), Dons glass spot remover, etc I've also tried Meguires Scratch X and that has been the only product that even made it the smallest amount better. It got rid of some of the water etching, but the window still has specs all over in direct sunlight. What am I missing? Ive attached a photo
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Window help needed-fullsizerender-1-jpg  

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Window help needed

Did you try the Baggie test to see if maybe something on the windshield? I know you stated you did all of that but you never know what could have been airborne I've had to deal with roofing sealant before.
    Official Detailing Team Member of Air Force One
    Flex 3401 / Flex PE8 / Rupes 21 / G110v2 / GG6" / Rupes 75E / GG3"
    Click and Like my Facebook Page

Post Thanks / Like

FWIW... haven't tried a good glass cleaner with 0000 steel wool..? I wouldn't think it'd do better than the glass polish, but one never knows; I was hesitant to try the steel wool ( 0000 ) but it did a great job of cleaning my windshield.

Post Thanks / Like

Window help needed

Something is on the windshield.

It may sound stupid, but I'm guessing your 100% sure this is on the outside of the windshield???

Assuming it's on the outside and everything you have tried has failed, you need to use Ceri Glass with the CarPro Rayon glass polishing pad on a DA. Foam pads (I'm assuming you used foam when you say "white pad") aren't going to cut it on glass to remove etching or whatever this is.

Im assuming you tried clay initially as well to make sure something isn't stuck on the glass???

Ceri Glass and the correct pads should be able to fix this, since they can fix actual wiper scratches in the glass. I've done a few DIYs on the correct technique how to do this...Search.

But first, I'd make 100% sure you are working on actuall glass and not so type of coating or factory film on the windshield. This is not common, but I don't know much about 2015 Hondas.

Whatever you do; 2 things:

1. Don't use ANY other "glass pads" except the CarPro ones. They are the best without rival. Others can micro-mar glass leaving it worse than when you started.

2. Don't use steel wool!!! Glass is harder than paint, but as you have learned isn't impervious or bullet proof. Steel wool has no place on glass or anywhere else near a car IMHO.

If water and minerals can etch and stain glass - what do you think a handful of inconsistently wound wire steel can do??? If you get the correct products and follow the correct procedure, I'm confident you will end up with a 100% defect free windshield.

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by swanicyouth View Post

It may sound stupid, but I'm guessing your 100% sure this is on the outside of the windshield???

Assuming it's on the outside and everything you have tried has failed, you need to use Ceri Glass with the CarPro Rayon glass polishing pad on a DA. Foam pads (I'm assuming you used foam when you say "white pad") aren't going to cut it on glass to remove etching or whatever this is.

Im assuming you tried clay initially as well to make sure something isn't stuck on the glass???

Ceri Glass and the correct pads should be able to fix this, since they can fix actual wiper scratches in the glass. I've done a few DIYs on the correct technique how to do this...Search.

But first, I'd make 100% sure you are working on actuall glass and not so type of coating or factory film on the windshield. This is not common, but I don't know much about 2015 Hondas.

1. Don't use ANY other "glass pads" except the CarPro ones. They are the best without rival. Others can micro-mar glass leaving it worse than when you started.

2. Don't use steel wool!!! Glass is harder than paint, but as you have learned isn't impervious or bullet proof. Steel wool has no place on glass or anywhere else near a car IMHO.

If water and minerals can etch and stain glass - what do you think a handful of inconsistently wound wire steel can do??? If you get the correct products and follow the correct procedure, I'm confident you will end up with a 100% defect free windshield.

Very nice reply

Post Thanks / Like

My car's windows have something similar ... glass pitting. It's like someone took a pass at a distance with a sandblaster at my windshield. If that is the case, then there is nothing you can do.

Do you live in an area where they put salt/sand/cinders on the roads during the winter?

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Don M View Post
    My car's windows have something similar ... glass pitting. It's like someone took a pass at a distance with a sandblaster at my windshield. If that is the case, then there is nothing you can do.

Do you live in an area where they put salt/sand/cinders on the roads during the winter?
    No I live in CA, but I have hard water lots of bugs, etc. Been looking into getting water softner. The thing that is so weird is that I washed two cars, same make model etc, one has it on every window, other one has nothing. It, seemed to happen right after the wash.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by swanicyouth View Post

Thanks for the detailed response, yes I'm sure its the outside and I was using the white foam pad. I just ordered the Carpro ones you suggested, I will update after they arrive.

Post Thanks / Like

Try machine polishing the window

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk