autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Products for deatiling boat

Hello,

A few weeks back I asked a few questions on which products to use on my 2014 Tuxedo Black Expedition and you suggested using Wolfgang Total Swirl Remover and Finishing Glaze with a wax or sealant. I also have a 18.5 foot Monterey boat I would like to detail as well. Can these same products be used on the boat? The hull is fairly dirty, but with the exception of two weeks during the summer, the boat is stored on the trailer so it doesn't get dirty from sitting on the water. I haven't purchased anything for the truck yet expect a DA Porter Cable polisher from Harbor Freight.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Deano

Mike Phillips

Re: Products for deatiling boat

Quote Originally Posted by Deano_1 View Post

Hello,

A few weeks back I asked a few questions on which products to use on my 2014 Tuxedo Black Expedition and you suggested using Wolfgang Total Swirl Remover and Finishing Glaze with a wax or sealant.

I also have a 18.5 foot Monterey boat I would like to detail as well.

Can these same products be used on the boat?

If the boat is gel-coat and in good shape then "yes" you can use the Total Swirl Remover as a polish with an aggressive foam cutting pad and you should be able to cleaner her up.

Get the new Meguiar's 5" thin foam cutting disc like I show in this thread... get at least a half dozen and be sure to the Megs 5" backing plate.

NEW! Meguiar’s Foam Buffing Discs

If you have oxidation especially heavy oxidation then you're going to need something with a LOT more abrading power and I'd highly recommend Marine 31 Captain’s One-Step Compound & Polish as this will not only chew through the oxidation but will finish out like a polish so you're ready to apply a wax or sealant without an additional step.

This is the only product we used to compound and polish John Greviskis from Ship Shape TV boat a 1960 Glastron and just look at the results and this is after block sanding, hand sanding and machine sanding.

The full write-up is here....

Pictures: 1960 Glastron - Wetsand, Cut & Buff

This is also one of the key products I'll be showing in the upcoming Marine 31 Boat Detailing Class on April 18th.

Marine 31 Boat Detailing Class - Saturday, April 18th 2015

***Announcement***

We will also be holding a hands-on Boat Detailing Class in 2015, the date is Saturday, April 18th.

If you plan to detail for money, this class is a must!

Learn the ins and outs of boat detailing from world-renowned detailing expert Mike Phillips! The Marine 31 Boat Detailing Class covers all the major aspects of boat care and detailing including proper washing, boat oxidation removal, wet sanding to remove scuff marks and scratches from gel coat, canvas cleaning and protecting, mildew removal from vinyl seats, and much, much more! The Marine 31 Boat Detailing Class will give you the experience and knowledge to detail boats like a professional!

Boat detailing – where do I start?!

Surely you’ve asked yourself that question, or else you wouldn’t be researching and reading about the best boat detailing classes in the first place. We have an answer for that question, and it’s the Marine 31 Boat Detailing Class. If you plan to detail boats for profit, then this class is a MUST.

Mike Phillips provides an in-depth look along with thorough instructions on how to properly machine sand a boat, remove sanding marks and oxidation with a high speed rotary polisher, machine-apply a wax using a dual action polisher, and more!

The class size will be limited to give everyone an opportunity to ask questions and practice the techniques. The class will be held in the fully equipped Autogeek Show Car Garage located at our headquarters in Stuart, Florida.

These are intense hands-on classes!

Before

Water Spot Stains & Oxidation
    Not only is the entire hull filled with holograms from the misuse of a rotary buffer, (the normal practice by most boat detailers), the gel-coat is also oxidized and covered with water spot stains.

After

When: Saturday, April 18th from 9 am to 4 pm Eastern Time

Where:

Autogeek's Show Car Garage
    7744 SW Jack James Drive
    Stuart, FL 34997
    Mapquest Driving Directions

What to bring: Bring a pen and paper to take notes if you like. All chemicals and tools will be provided.

Dress: Dress is casual, remember you're going to be washing a boat as well as detailing the boat inside and outside. Please don't wear Flip Flops or dress shoes of any kind. Jeans, t-shirt, clothes that you would wear when washing and detailing a boat.

This is a very HANDS-ON class.

I had a lot of people ask for a boat detailing class so mark your calendars and plan your schedules accordingly.

Click HERE for more information and to sign up

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Products for deatiling boat

Thanks for the quick response Mike. Now I just need the outside temp get above 4 degrees.