autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Mike Phillips

Wild! 1940 Olds Flaming Yellow Streetrod in the house!

Wild! 1940 Olds Flaming Yellow Streetrod in the house!

Autogeek sponsors the Tuesday night CarSpa Car Show and one of the things I do is share tips and techniques to take the paint on the cars at the show to a higher level.

Last night I met Dave and his son Matt and we worked on their 1940 Oldsmobile....

This is actually a very rare pre-war car and a real show stopper with its curvy lines and bright yellow paint job with flames.

The paint on this 1940 Olds has the normal swirls and scratches that build up over time. There's also tracers left in the paint from whoever did the hand sanding as they didn't get them 100% out when they did the compounding step.

Stay tuned to see how we fixed it...

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Wild! 1940 Olds Flaming Yellow Streetrod in the house!

Nice hot rod! Cant wait to see what you did with it.

Mike Phillips

So every Tuesday we setup the Autogeek booth and I find someone with something cool that needs a little help and then share with them how to take what they have as far as finish quality to a higher level.

At some point I'll be able to create a thread just showing all the cars worked on in a single year, like this thread.

These are like little mini classes as we truly go over all the necessary steps to do professional quality detailing live at a car show.

I'm missing a few pictures to tell the entire process the pictures that are missing are the,

• Baggie Test
    • Claying the paint
    • Machine polishing
    • Machine waxing

But rest assure these steps were performed.

Wiping the clay lube residue off after claying the hood.

Placing a tape-line on the hood for all the visitors to our booth to be able to see the before and after difference.

Adding Pinnacle Advanced Compound to a foam cutting pad...

Showing Dave the owner how to use a Porter Cable DA Polisher

Here's a technique for holding and guiding the PC to keep the pad flat to the surface to maintain pad rotation.

After showing what is arguably the easiest and safest tool in the world to de-swirl paint I then showed the owner, his son and all the people standing around in the front of the booth how to use the Flex 3401.

Here's Matt, Dave's son testing out the Flex 3401. Matt tested out the PC and the Flex 3401 and his dad Dave tested out the PC during this mini class.

The hood is done. I'm not the best night time photographer but for what it's worth the hood is now the nicest looking panel on this car.

Some info about this car as shown in the windshield.

Next....

Mike Phillips

Note....

To everyone coming to tomorrow night's project, Dave the owner is going to try to stop by to help with the 1971 Charger and hopefully bring is flaming yellow Olds with him.

Post Thanks / Like

Was a great show last night, I took a few pictures when I stopped by. Mike was making that yellow baby shiny and Danielle was serving up some hot coffee while Trey was talking shop.
    Good night for a show, weather was awesome!

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Wild! 1940 Olds Flaming Yellow Streetrod in the house!-1424903716631-jpg   Wild! 1940 Olds Flaming Yellow Streetrod in the house!-1424903729781-jpg   Wild! 1940 Olds Flaming Yellow Streetrod in the house!-1424903739132-jpg