autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Are These Headlights Salvageable?

More than just being pitted, scratched, and starting to fade yellow...but it's those thousands of little 'worm-like' scratches/fissures. They're not deep enough to where I can feel them with my fingernail. Could've been there when I bought the car used but noticing it even more now since it's starting to yellow.

I'm leaning towards wet-sanding then polishing out with my PC7424 and Meguiars 105/205 combo. I've done the search and it's a 50/50 toss up between doing a manual wet-sand vs drill assisted wet-sand (like 3M Restoration Kit)

Question is...if I were to use the 3M kit with proper techniques, will I be able to restore these? By technique, I mean: medium pressure with 50% overlapping passes, start with coarse grit horizontally, then medium grit vertically, then fine grit horizontally. Compound, polish, then protect with sealant or film. (I have BF Crystal Seal on hand and would probably try using that before shelling out for film or permanent coating)

I would like to get feedback from anyone who's ever had headlights this bad. Or are those little fissures indicative of something totally different? Like the lens cover getting ready to shatter, lol. BTW, vehicle is a 2006 BMW 325i (E90).

TIA!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Are These Headlights Salvageable?

what the heck did they do! yeah the plastic has crazed.

imo you can vastly improve them, but i'm curious if there is damage on the inside too. those are so wrecked, it's hard to see!
    '09 Mercedes-Benz C 63 AMG / '14 Audi Q5 3.0 S-Line / '99.5 Pathfinder SE

I DO NOT support or recommend Oakes.

Post Thanks / Like

I cannot for the life of me remember what grit came with the 3M package..

With those condition its in, me personally, I would start wet sanding 1000 (maybe even 800), 2500, 3000.

after 3000 grit I would hit it with Megs 105 then Megs 205 and finish off with Megs PlastX

that's just my 2 cents. Let us know what you do and take pics of the turnaround! Curious to see how these clean up if they do

2005 Pontiac GTO - the Carnauba Effect auto detailing

Post Thanks / Like

You probably have to blend the worst damage with some 400 or 600 on a DA or by hand since they're not cloudy yet.
    Mobile headlight restoration in the Oklahoma City area www.okcheadlights.com www.facebook.com/OKC.Headlights

Post Thanks / Like

The 3M Kit comes with 500, 800, and 3000 grit. Luckily right now the damage is mainly towards the top end of the housing and doesn't effect the light output. But I definitely want to take care of it soon.

I don't have the 3.5 backing plate on my PC and the 5.5 might be too big. I'm assuming I can use a drill if I'm using the 3M Kit.

Post Thanks / Like

It's actually not that hard to wetsand by hand. The plastic is fairly soft and it's not a large surface. Just make sure sure you use a sanding block. I've wetsanded headlights with 800 grit up to 2000 grit, then followed with WG TSR using a PC and got excellent results. It took about 30 minutes per headlight.

These are pretty bad but I bet they can be saved. Show us before/after shots!

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, you can use a drill with the correct 3M kit.

I like hand sanding if they are in the car. I have more control that way and you can remove a lot quickly while moving the block slow with even pressure. If you pull them out and can secure the light to work on in a vice or something, then machine working "might" be easier. Most aren't to hard to remove, but not sure about BMW.

You might need to get more aggressive sanding to reduce your time spent trying to remove these. First you might want to clean first and hit with a polish or compound just see how bad, or deep the "fissures" go.

To me these cracks are a severe form of degradation that will only get worse, and the cracks will grow.

This light was really bad. There were a couple of big cracks that seemed like they went the whole way through. Light showed no moisture in it though.

This after just compounding to see how bad it was

This is after what seemed like a half hour of sanding with 320 wet.

Sorry I do not have a finished picture at the moment. Partially because I lost daylight and did not complete what I wanted to do to them. Currently they look similar to the second picture with a little less cracks.

Post Thanks / Like

Bonus to the 3M kit is you get the fancy 3000grit, 3" medium cut foam pad, and 3" backing plate since you don't have one, but IMO the 3000 really isn't necessary and the 3" backing plate is kinda flimsy and has a non-removable foam interface pad. Foam interface is fine for sanding, but not needed/wanted for use with a foam pad. Maybe ok with thin microfiber disks?

Post Thanks / Like

Autogeek and your local retailers also have this 3M kit.

3M Scratch Removal System, 3M Scratch Remover Kit, scratch repair, remove scratches

Has the 3" drill bp and a heavier compound pad and a finer polishing pad than the headlight kit.

I did contact 3M for this information, their site is a PITA.

But there over the counter kit pads are rated in aggressiveness as so: this is a generalization comparison of the three

Black-fine-polishing
    Orange-medium-polish/comp
    Purple-heavy-compound

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by g35_coupe View Post
    You probably have to blend the worst damage with some 400 or 600 on a DA or by hand since they're not cloudy yet.
    That's a good idea.

Quote Originally Posted by brettS4 View Post
    It's actually not that hard to wetsand by hand. The plastic is fairly soft and it's not a large surface. Just make sure sure you use a sanding block. I've wetsanded headlights with 800 grit up to 2000 grit, then followed with WG TSR using a PC and got excellent results. It took about 30 minutes per headlight.

These are pretty bad but I bet they can be saved. Show us before/after shots!
    Wetsanding is easy, I agree. I just worry about efficiency with the damage I have. I guess I'm approaching it the same way when correcting paint - compound by hand or compound by DA. Is there anything specific that hand-sanding can accomplish that machine-sanding cannot?

Quote Originally Posted by Mantilgh View Post
    Bonus to the 3M kit is you get the fancy 3000grit, 3" medium cut foam pad, and 3" backing plate since you don't have one, but IMO the 3000 really isn't necessary and the 3" backing plate is kinda flimsy and has a non-removable foam interface pad. Foam interface is fine for sanding, but not needed/wanted for use with a foam pad. Maybe ok with thin microfiber disks?
    So the question now is whether or not the flimsy backing plate that's included in the 3M kit is not as effective as sanding by hand with a sanding block given the damage I have.

Thanks for all the feedback!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast