autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: 2013 Camaro - Rupes Production Detailing - by Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by larry33 View Post
    I should be more specific. Looks like it was a foaming, then 1 mitt and no buckets. Ar u spraying the mitt with the hose after each panel? And using the same mitt for top and bottom of car?
    I'd like to know this as well. I asked a question about this style of washing recently and didn't get a real definitive answer. I would think that you would still use a rinse bucket, since you wouldn't want to accumulate dirt as you went. But it seems like that's all you would need (maybe two mitts if you use one for top and one for bottom).

Post Thanks / Like

A
    Quote Originally Posted by kesmit View Post
    I'd like to know this as well. I asked a question about this style of washing recently and didn't get a real definitive answer. I would think that you would still use a rinse bucket, since you wouldn't want to accumulate dirt as you went. But it seems like that's all you would need (maybe two mitts if you use one for top and one for bottom).
    When I use my foam gun without buckets I use quick disconnects on the foam gun and a nozzle, so after foaming the car I disconnect the gun, set it aside and connect the nozzle. After washing several panels, I rinse the wash mitt and continue washing. When finished washing, the nozzle is ready for rinsing the car and mitt.
    Hope this helps.

Brass Quick Connector Set
    Last edited by 99C5Coupe; 11-28-2015 at 03:32 PM. Reason: add link for quick disconnect

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by rcoops77 View Post

Hi Mike

Thanks for the awesome write up.

I noticed that you only mechanically decontaminated

Any reason why you didn't deionize (chemically decontaminate)?
    Good question as I normally spray cars down with Iron X to chemically decontaminate the paint during the washing process. My guess is this was just a quickie production detail. Love Coral (the owner) to death but this is just a mode of transportation to her. Also the focus on this car detail was for a chapter in my new book on production detailing.

Production detailing is very different than multiple step or show car detailing. Here's the book.... note the title...

***NEW RUPES Paperback Book***

How to use the RUPES BigFoot Paint Polishing System
    for Production Detailing and Show Car Detailing

The production detailing segment is on pages 71 to 74. You can see this topic listed in this picture I took of the index.

Quote Originally Posted by larry33 View Post

I should be more specific. Looks like it was a foaming, then 1 mitt and no buckets. Ar u spraying the mitt with the hose after each panel? And using the same mitt for top and bottom of car?
    I think you want to read my article,

The Aggressive Approach to Washing a Car

Because I'm going to buff the paint using a one-step cleaner/wax which is going to remove light swirls and scratches here's my process.

1. Wheels and tires first.

2. Start at the top of the car and work down using only a foam gun and a single wash mitt. Lowest panes which are the dirtiest panels are wash with mitt last.

I get the mitt wet with water or lots of foam before starting since I don't have a bucket to dip the mitt into to get it wet. (Mitts need to be wet when washing cars. Dragging a dry mitt over foam on paint doesn't feel good or work good).

Follow the above working section by section. Roof first with side glass. Then hood and front of car. Then sides of car. Then back of car.

If this was a car I had already buffed out then I would use the gentle approach and use the two bucket method with the foam gun.

Huge difference in my book on how to wash cars both pre-buff and post-buff. I've never actually seen anyone else discuss this topic. Ever.

I also have videos on this topic on our Roku channel and I teach this in all my 3-day ACR classes. I try to be very consistent and also lead by example.

Quote Originally Posted by kesmit View Post

I'd like to know this as well. I asked a question about this style of washing recently and didn't get a real definitive answer.

I would think that you would still use a rinse bucket, since you wouldn't want to accumulate dirt as you went. But it seems like that's all you would need (maybe two mitts if you use one for top and one for bottom).
    Take a moment to read this article...

The Aggressive Approach to Washing a Car

I think it explains everything well.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Mike

I'm considering adding some Rupes equipment to my arsenal so will be wanting your new book.

Any news on where to source your book here down under in Australia?

Post Thanks / Like

thank you! so one mitt, no rinse off, just wipe the whole thing down, don't stop till it's done?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123