autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Smack Towel Method (STM)

Mike, Thanks for the good idea
    2022 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon • 2021 Ford Ranger Lariat •2016 Alfa Romeo 4C Spider • 2006 Buell Lightning-Bolt • 2004 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Caleb@ImpeccableImage View Post
    Great thread Mike. I'm glad I am not the only who is this meticulous when washing and drying microfiber towels. Heck, even if they look fine but just dont feel as "soft" I move them to my dirtier job collection of towels (glass, dash, wheels or tires).
    Thanks Caleb.

Anything you can do to maximize the performance of your products can help. As you said, when they start to feel a bit rough time to retire them for different jobs.

Quote Originally Posted by dlc95 View Post
    Ha!

Good thing the "good stuff" stays at my place!

Quote Originally Posted by DetailKitty View Post
    Mike, Thanks for the good idea
    Monica, no problem.

Post Thanks / Like

good tip Mike!!
    Feel free to post on DFD with either a link to this thread or just make a post, whichever you like.
    And don't mind the haters, haters gonna hate!
    Robert DiTerlizzi, 772-260-6636
    Impressions Fine Automotive Detailing
    7656 SW Jack James Dr.Stuart, Fl.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Impressions View Post
    good tip Mike!!
    Feel free to post on DFD with either a link to this thread or just make a post, whichever you like.
    And don't mind the haters, haters gonna hate!

Thanks.
    Sounds good Robert. Thank you sir!
    Hahaha! That's right!

Post Thanks / Like

To this thread I find only one thing to saw WOW!

#1 WOW! Why did I not think of that. So to you Mike kudos for being the first to share this invaluable method of inspecting and cleaning your MF towels. I do the manual and visual inspections, but this brings it to a new level. It is not uncommon that I have a few choice words at the lint left behind after a final wipedown (in preparation) for pictures. This should and will help! Thanks a lot of sharing!!!

#2 WOW! Such a high level of criticism at naming the technique. Psych 101 does indicate that we are more likely to remember a task or methodology if associated with a mneumonic that is unusual and the Smack Towel Inspection and Cleaning Method (which I took the liberty to renamed STIC'M ) is noteworthy in my book. The rename is now stuck in my head in the likes of the "baggie test", etc...

I know that you get regularly accolades for your forum contributions, and let me be the first to suggest that I believe this particular thread should be a STICKY..... for sure! For the negative Nancy's, just STICK IT!

Did you catch the multiple "STICKY" references. Now tell me that you won't remember

https://www.facebook.com/FlawlessFinishDetailing
    Dr. Claude Tremblay, Co-owner/Senior Detailer, Certified CQuartz FINEST Installer

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dr_Pain View Post

#1 WOW! Why did I not think of that. So to you Mike kudos for being the first to share this invaluable method of inspecting and cleaning your MF towels. I do the manual and visual inspections, but this brings it to a new level. It is not uncommon that I have a few choice words at the lint left behind after a final wipedown (in preparation) for pictures. This should and will help! Thanks a lot of sharing!!!

#2 WOW! Such a high level of criticism at naming the technique. Psych 101 does indicate that we are more likely to remember a task or methodology if associated with a mneumonic that is unusual and the Smack Towel Inspection and Cleaning Method (which I took the liberty to renamed STIC'M ) is noteworthy in my book. The rename is now stuck in my head in the likes of the "baggie test", etc...

I know that you get regularly accolades for your forum contributions, and let me be the first to suggest that I believe this particular thread should be a STICKY..... for sure! For the negative Nancy's, just STICK IT!

Did you catch the multiple "STICKY" references. Now tell me that you won't remember
    LOL where is the like button!!!!!!
    2022 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon • 2021 Ford Ranger Lariat •2016 Alfa Romeo 4C Spider • 2006 Buell Lightning-Bolt • 2004 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dr_Pain View Post

Oh come on. Now your just pulling my leg. I try to participate and share information in a positive way when I can. I enjoy sharing and participating.

Overall this method will help take the finished product to a new level. I too have gotten out of shape a few times when towels lint like crazy on my black BMW's.

The sticky references are ingrained now. lol

Quote Originally Posted by DetailKitty View Post
    LOL where is the like button!!!!!!
    we do need a like button here on AGO like the sister site AF has.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike@DedicatedPerfection View Post
    Oh come on. Now your just pulling my leg. I try to participate and share information in a positive way when I can. I enjoy sharing and participating.

Overall this method will help take the finished product to a new level. I too have gotten out of shape a few times when towels lint like crazy on my black BMW's.

The sticky references are ingrained now. lol

we do need a like button here on AGO like the sister site AF has.
    You know Mike, my post was the 100% unadulterated truth. I do get light bulb moments once in a while (some of my own doing but most from others) and this was one of them, serious. Just needed to have this emoticon associated with my post as to "how did I not think of that". Great job and thank you for your contribution to the forum and for your service to our country!!

https://www.facebook.com/FlawlessFinishDetailing
    Dr. Claude Tremblay, Co-owner/Senior Detailer, Certified CQuartz FINEST Installer

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by aim4squirrels View Post
    lacing my belt into my pants before I put them on being forever known as the "A4S technique", when really it's just come about as a result of me being a lazy, lard butt and finding an easier way to do it.
    I'm gonna start using the "A4S technique" each morning after claying for 2 hours and running a polisher for 12 hours the day before. Should really ease the chore for me.

Thanks!!!

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I love this thread, read it many times and have incorporated this method into my wash/dry routine of all my microfibers. I am amazed at how much lint I am able to pull off my towels despite first thoroughly cleaning my dryer and vent trap. It doesn't seem to matter the quality of the towel either - still occurs with the highest quality Korean made towels.

I have experienced two issues though, one it seems to increase the static of the towels by using the lint roller and the other is that I wonder if this action does anything to harden the fibers. It may just be my imagination but I could swear the towel doesn't feel quite as soft or plush after I "iron" it with the lint roller? I've started just using the lint roller on just the edges of the towels, which are mostly edgeless design, where most of the lint is picked up (also where a good bit of shredding occurs - the lint roller really picks this off). Anyone else experience this?

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast