autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Smack Towel Method (STM)

Quote Originally Posted by fly07sti View Post
    Damn it Mike. Now I have to go to Costco to buy a bundle of lint rollers and take the week off to go over my towels.

In all seriousness, great idea. I usually just "snap" each towel as it comes out of the dryer which has served me pretty well over the years. But I will grab a few different towels and see what I get. Thanks.
    With the amount of towels you have, I don't think Costco has enough lint rollers for you

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RobertJ34 View Post
    Not a bad idea at all...will have to try this out.

Quote Originally Posted by Sizzle Chest View Post
    Will have to add this to my routine. Thanks!
    No problem.

Quote Originally Posted by builthatch View Post
    yo

use the yellow sticky rollers.

they can be refreshed very easily to brand new by simply wiping with a soapy (dish soap) sponge and some warm water. they are superior to the paper rollers imo...and way more economical, obv. i have at least two in rotation at all times with a couple more in the wings just in case.

i have some that are several years old and are as good as new.
    Sticky yellow rollers? Not too familiar with those. Could you PM and online link?

Interested in trying them out.

Quote Originally Posted by 281 View Post
    With the amount of towels you have, I don't think Costco has enough lint rollers for you
    Imagine buying a pallet full of rollers. lol

Post Thanks / Like

The sticky, washable, reusable ones. Most are blue, but some are yellow or red. The most famous one is The Shticky, as seen on tv. I always thought they were made of silicone, but I honestly don't know.
    Francesco

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SameGuy View Post
    The sticky, washable, reusable ones. Most are blue, but some are yellow or red. The most famous one is The Shticky, as seen on tv. I always thought they were made of silicone, but I honestly don't know.
    yeah mine came from Bed, Bath and Beyond. mine are called Sticky Buddy, i believe. i had a bunch of coupons and there was a sale so i got a few. at the time, there weren't a huge amount of these things out there but i'd guess it's been ripped off a thousand times so there might be super cheap ones that work just as well.

at first i was bitter because i thought you just had to rinse them and they'd be renewed. which, to a certain extent, is true. but to really renew them, and it even says in the directions i failed to read, that every once in a while to totally refresh them, wipe with a soapy sponge and rinse. that changed my whole outlook. they work AMAZINGLY.
    '09 Mercedes-Benz C 63 AMG / '14 Audi Q5 3.0 S-Line / '99.5 Pathfinder SE

I DO NOT support or recommend Oakes.

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

I lick my towels to taste test for foreign substances

I call it, "The Lick Method" or TLM

BOOM....Copyright that!

I agree with A4S, that the naming may be getting out of hand.

If a technique has been in practice for a substantial amount of time and someone comes along and tags it with their name, it's a bit hokey to me. People have been applying less pressure on the last couple of polishing passes as long as DA's have been in use.

Finish Polishing is "Jeweling" is "Burnishing"

I understand that the 1st step to becoming "known" is having something named after you.

Some are truly new and deserve a "name", others are common practice and do not

6. Likes UncleDavy liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by builthatch View Post
    yeah mine came from Bed, Bath and Beyond. mine are called Sticky Buddy, i believe. i had a bunch of coupons and there was a sale so i got a few. at the time, there weren't a huge amount of these things out there but i'd guess it's been ripped off a thousand times so there might be super cheap ones that work just as well.

at first i was bitter because i thought you just had to rinse them and they'd be renewed. which, to a certain extent, is true. but to really renew them, and it even says in the directions i failed to read, that every once in a while to totally refresh them, wipe with a soapy sponge and rinse. that changed my whole outlook. they work AMAZINGLY.
    Something like this?

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

Mike, I'm not surprised you do that at all. I think we're all a bit OCD with our towels. When you consider how bad they (most) tend to lint, that's a great idea. I saw something a while back on TV where someone was giving cleaning tips, removing pet hair, and used duct tape rolled around their hand. I'm thinking that'd be a quite a bit more effective than our typical lint roller.

I noticed yesterday that even the very nice 850 "white whale" and the lesser "artic white" towels still shed, even though I've washed them twice before using (with WG Microfiber Restorer/Detergent). (Tried them new and it was TERRIBLE.)

I tend to get my washer and dryer drunk before ever loading any towels inside. I wipe them down (stainless drums) with a 30% alcohol solution. BOY DOES IT GET FUNKY WITH YOUR HEAD INSIDE.

Surely I need to think up a name for that one.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 281 View Post
    Great idea Mike and thanks for sharing! I'm actually afraid to see what I'll find in my towels haha
    That's an honest comment James hahaha, although I rinse and clean washer / dryer before cleaning MF towels (that's boring but much needed), with time some towels may accumulate more than what our eyes can see and shed some lint.

Thanks Mike for coming with this idea, this may help extending the utilis life of that 'Paint dedicated MF towels' I care a lot for, keeping then distant from reaching the 'Undercarriage Only' status.

Kind Regards.
    “Nature is pleased with simplicity. And nature is no dummy”

― Isaac Newton

Post Thanks / Like

Great article and write-up, Mike!

It's always good to be safer than sorry. This adds another safety factor before using MF towels on paint.
    2011 SEMA Meguiar's Car Crazy Showcase Team
    2016 Competition Ready Barn Find Porsche Team

Post Thanks / Like

Tony's Noxious Affectation?
    Francesco

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast