autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Question Does Polish Clean Like Cleaner Wax?

Most waxes seem to be cleaner waxes. And I like cleaner wax because most of the old cars I buy have ground in dirt that mere washing does not get out. The cleaner wax gets a lot of that dirt out.

I have been reading that synthetic polish lasts longer than wax, so I would like to use it for that, but will polish clean the ground in dirt like (cleaner) wax does?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Does Polish Clean Like Cleaner Wax?

Quote Originally Posted by TomBrooklyn View Post
    Most waxes seem to be cleaner waxes. And I like cleaner wax because most of the old cars I buy have ground in dirt that mere washing does not get out. The cleaner wax gets a lot of that dirt out.

I have been reading that synthetic polish lasts longer than wax, so I would like to use it for that, but will polish clean the ground in dirt like (cleaner) wax does?
    Sounds like this is the perfect product for what you want to accomplish: Wolfgang Uber All In One, cleaner wax, all in one polish wax

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

Cleaner waxes work using chemicals and sometimes mild abrasives to remove stains and very minor paint defects. Some have very good filling abilities as well.

You say "synthetic polish", but the term polish isn't used much now. It has been replaced by LSP, Last Step Product.

Finish waxes and Sealants typically do not remove staining, oxidation of water spots like a Cleaner Wax can.

Here is a good starting point:

Car Wax, paint Sealants,Car Waxes, Show Car Wax, Best Car Wax, Carnauba Car wax, P21s Car wax, Pinnacle Souveran Wax, Meguiars car wax, Mothers

Post Thanks / Like

Lots of confusion in the naming of car-care products.
    For example:
    -There is at least one Company that designates
    their polishes as being paint cleaners.
    -Glazes...what in the dickins is a Glaze?
    Good Luck in finding a universally accepted definition!

IMHO:
    Here's a couple of excellent MP articles that sorts-out some of the confusion:

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...ers-waxes.html

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...shing-wax.html

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Post Thanks / Like

The cleaning ability of cleaner/wax products varies. The best approach is to use a separate paint cleaner then wax/sealant to get the best results but you can also use a cleaner/wax stronger in cleaning and add another layer of wax (something with less cleaners) to improve the protection.

For example, if you were using Blackfire products, you could use Total Polish and Seal to clean/protect then top with Wet Diamonds for added protection.
    Al
    The Need to Bead

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Re: Does Polish Clean Like Cleaner Wax?

Thanks to all for the suggestions so far. I will check out all that suggesting reading soon.
    Quote Originally Posted by jsgntulok View Post
    Sounds like this is the perfect product for what you want to accomplish: Wolfgang Uber All In One, cleaner wax, all in one polish wax
    I read this link so far, and that product does sound like it has both the cleaning and long lasting properties I'd like to combine.

Post Thanks / Like

Waxes, which you buy in pots, are paste waxes. They are pretty much solid lumps. These are NOT cleaner waxes.

Waxes - which are liquid creams, are actually water containing products, will mostly be cleaner waxes.

Do NOT mix these two.

I have explained elsewhere that the base for a liquid product is going to be what many people seem to call a pre-wax cleanser. Almost all the other liquid products will be this PLUS something else. So, for instance, a cleaner wax will be a pre-wax cleaner which has wax added. A basic polish will be a pre-wax cleaner with abrasive added. A compound will be the same but with more aggressive abrasives. An all in one can have wax AND abrasive. They are all the same family.

So, in answer to the question, a 'polish' will almost certainly have the same cleaning capabilities as your cleaner wax or a pre-wax cleaner.

Post Thanks / Like

It should be noted that if you are currently using a cleaner wax that is liquid, then you are using a synthetic product.

Since terminology isn't standardized, it's important to understand what the product is actually doing.

All the below products are All-in-One type products:
    Duragloss Total Performance Polish
    Wolfgang Uber All-in-one
    Meguiars #6 cleaner wax
    Collonite Sapphire auto wax
    Griots One-step sealant

1/5 are actually named all-in-one, the rest could easily be confused with a different type of product.

It sounds like you want to continue using an all-in-one product. If that's the case, which product are you using now? Knowing this we can likely recommend a more durable alternative.

If you want to step your game up, then use a designated polish before sealing. The polishing step won't take much longer than using a cleaner wax; and sealing should be very fast, so you will spend a little extra time, but get better results from both products.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PiPUK View Post
    Waxes, which you buy in pots, are paste waxes. They are pretty much solid lumps. These are NOT cleaner waxes.

Waxes - which are liquid creams, are actually water containing products, will mostly be cleaner waxes.

Do NOT mix these two.
    ^^^Is this always true?^^^

For example:

Meguiar's Cleaner Wax...A-12 (Liquid form):

Meguiar's Cleaner Wax...A-12 (Paste form):

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FUNX725 View Post
    ^^^Is this always true?^^^

For example:

Meguiar's Cleaner Wax...A-12 (Liquid form):

Meguiar's Cleaner Wax...A-12 (Paste form):

Bob
    I know it is megs but I disagree with them. The question is how the cleaning is done. With a paste type wax, you are using tiny amounts of products. There simply is not enough solvent to do it and there is also the concern as to where the 'dirt' is going.

Of course the second product could be just a thicker version of the first, not a solid lump of wax... That much I don't know.

So I'm sticking to my guns here.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast