autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

new car orange peel

Hi,

Ive just bought a 2015 F350. It is caribou brown. I have been looking into coating the truck with a sealant like QuartzUK or similar. Its a daily driven truck that stays outside 24/7.

I do have orange peel for sure. I have the carpro velvet pads to use on my da machine.

My question- is M100 the correct product to use with this pad or should i use something less agressive like 205? The paint is defect free so far the orange peel is the only problem i see at this point.

thanks
    Tim

Post Thanks / Like

Re: new car orange peel

I've never used them. I read the other day that FG400 worked well with them so I would go with the M100. I don't think 205 would do much. Hopefully someone with hands on experience will chime in.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the info, i am justing trying to stay as conservative as possible to keep my clear coat as thick as possible but still get rid of the orange peel.

Post Thanks / Like

Not possible. Getting rid of orange peel is gonna take away a significant amount of clear coat. I hope you have a paint thickness gauge on hand?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dpk20x View Post
    Not possible. Getting rid of orange peel is gonna take away a significant amount of clear coat. I hope you have a paint thickness gauge on hand?
    ^^^^^^

Being that it's a DD and sits outside 24/7...
    Your truck will definitely need to keep all the CC it can!

I'll suggest:
    Prep your truck, as recommended by the manufacturer, for the CQUK. Apply the Coating...and enjoy your ride!

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Post Thanks / Like

Someone the other day posted they were surprised at the small amount of paint they removed. Obviously just used to improve the appearance, not completely remove the Orange peel. I'm just posting something I read...so take it for what it's worth...

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

Don't listen to Bob

If the OP bothers you, knock it down some

I have not used the Velvet pads, but I have used the Denim with a Flex 3401 DA

The Denim is pretty slow going, so I think the Velvet would be even slower

Both Denim and Velvet are designed for a Rotary

Don't go crazy trying to get all of the OP

Don't chase it close to edges and body lines

Use lots of tape

Post Thanks / Like

I had the same dillema 6 months ago, new car that i wanted to apply a coating, but the orange peel was bothering me, i wanted the paint to be really smooth. I was ready to get the denim pads, but then i asked my self if i remove some of the clear to make it OP free or less do i still have enough allowance to polish my paint in the future? If yes how many times that i will still be left with a healthy amt of clear coat? (I will be using the car for a looong time so definitely i will be polishing the paint more than 2 times) I dont have any paint gauge, so I just told my self that i need to accept the OP, and deal with it when the car is older, since this will be more safer for my paint and pocket, i dont want any premature clear coat thinning to happen atleast in the next 5 years.
    Deal with the OP later, and proceed with your coating application, dont worry with proper prep, im sure your car will still be shiny.
    Ej

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

I generally see OP on vertical panels and CC Failure on horizontal

Post Thanks / Like

Carpro has two different pads for the orange peel removal. One for factory paint(velvet) and another for repaired or body shop paint(denim) which is notorious for Orange peel and being on the thicker side.

I have used the harder denim paint on my tailgate of my gmc truck which was repainted... In black. I used this without a paint thickness gauge because I am a broke college kid DIY'er and it was obvious I had a special situation. When I polished the panel before to test. I got color transfer! I was had thought I had just burned through my brand new paint job! Then I realized that it's not out of the relm of possibility that the painter may have used either 1. Single stage or 2. Tinted clear.

After my heart rate recovered I continued with my organge peel removal. I went slow inspecting after every pass to see if I am getting any burn through. I didn't so I went full boar. Turned my GG6 up to 5 and started doing my slow passes with a good amount of pressure like I was compounding. After a few passes I removed the residue to reveal a slightly flatter and more reflective surface. After 4 passes I belive I was satisfied and did the other half of the tailgate.

Now these pads will load up super quick and induce marring. So it's important to keep them clean and follow up with a polishing step. But they do work at least on super soft body shop mystery paint. Haven't tried the other pad on factory clear
    Last edited by slicksierra; 01-04-2015 at 03:57 PM. Reason: I

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast