autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Dodge Ram chrome bumper protection

I have a new Ram Laramie and the chrome on the front is extensive. I put a coat of Blackfire Wet Diamond on it but wondering the best protection for this material - I guess it is metal/chrome? Would Wheel Wax or some other product be better? My past vehicles would get metal etching over time from the road salt/mag chloride, etc. even when I tried to do a quick metal wash in the garage in the winter after driving on messy roads. I also use Blackfire detailer after washing. Other suggestions? Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Dodge Ram chrome bumper protection

Hey mtn....I use a product called checkers....like the board game....I bought it at a harley dealer....and I use it on the chrome on my hd....also on the bumpers on my tundra...it looks like milk when you shake it up. It hazes and then I wipe it off withe a mf. On the truck I follow it up with wax. I've also used it on my trucks wheels.

Post Thanks / Like

I have had good luck with both Blue Magic Metal Polish and Collinite Metal Wax.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for comments. The Collinite Metal Wax sounds better than most things I've come across. Polishes in my opinion do nothing for protection only cleaning. This seems to do both.

Post Thanks / Like

I just added the collinite to my wish list.

Post Thanks / Like

Hope it works over the top of my Blackfire WD.

Mike Phillips

The best way to maintain chrome is to,

A: Keep it clean

If you let chrome surfaces get a build-up or dirt or oily road film they will trap moisture against the chrome plating surface. OVER TIME this will cause the chrome plating to fail.

So find the appropriate brushes and wash mitts to reach every surface, nook and crannies of a chrome component and keep the surface clean.

If anyone reading this is not sure about where oily road film comes from read this article.

Road Film - If you drive your car in the rain your car has road film

B: Keep clean chrome sealed

Believe it or not, a traditional Carnauba hard wax works great for sealing chrome to prevent deterioration. The wax fills in any microscopic pits, pores, scratches etc. so water or moisture, (see comment above about keeping the chrome surface clean so the dirt and road film doesn't get trapped onto the chrome surface), can't cause corrosion.

Keep it clean... keep it sealed....

Find something you like and use it often

Post Thanks / Like

I would assume provided the chrome parts were properly stripped of all other previous protectants, that a durable coating would provide the best protection of all versus waxes and sealants.

And that again like Mike P previously mentions, a coating will also come along and fill any microscopic voids.

Maybe initially more expensive and work intensive to buy-apply, but actually may be the least expensive option, and easiest maintainence product of all others mentioned in the long run.

Pickup Trucks are often bought for more than just show and a conveyance from point A-B. They'll commonly get more abuse, be worked in harsher weather conditions. And that one cannot often get around to treating it like a show garage queen.

This is usually where coatings can have good advantage, not only the chrome, but as well paint, and plastic trim.

50ml bottle of CQuartz UK, and 30ml bottle of CQuartz DLX, 1 L of CQ Eraser should do it! The whole truck and then some.

Post Thanks / Like

What makes you think that Blackfire WD would be an inadequate product to protect your truck's chrome bumper?

Quote Originally Posted by mtndriver View Post
    Hope it works over the top of my Blackfire WD.
    A person can always hope.

Also, when considering its ingredients:
    Hope that Collinite #850 doesn't "disturb", remove,
    or commingle-with the Blackfire WD.
    From Collinite #850's MSDS:

Section II - Hazard Ingredients/Identity Information

Hazardous Components:
    (Specific Chemical Identity; Common Name(s))

•Distillates, petroleum, hydrotreated light (CAS 64742-47-8)
    •Morpholine (CAS 110-91-8)
    •Silica(Flux calcined diatomaceous earth) (CAS 68855-54-9)

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the helpful info. I have no reason to think the BFWD would not do the job although with previous 4-runner and Jeep GJ it seemed despite my efforts the grill work would become etched even after 2-3 coats and washing metal between full vehicle washings. It also seemed that some metal parts were a different quality than other parts on the same truck. I wasn't even sure that some parts were metal or maybe a a simulated chrome? I live in a milder climate now in Eastern KS than I did in CO mtns. so it should be easier. These detailed replies here and specific products help a great deal. I did order the Collinite as per an earlier post. The chrome on the Ram grill seems pretty good quality from what I can tell and hopefully the bumpers as well. I do think the "coating' product may be an answer vs. some other products but the BFWD has always made the paint pop.
    Last edited by mtndriver; 12-10-2014 at 09:27 AM. Reason: add coatings