autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Need tips for Polishing Brazilian Classic 1979 MP Lafer (Fiberglass car)

Dear Friends, (asked the Expert featuring Mike Phillips section, but really would like to hear from everyone here).

I got a customer who owns a MP Lafer, maybe many won't know what is this because it's a 'Brazilian Classic' which started being produced in 1972. It's based on VW engine, fiberglass body, and is a 'fidelity reproduction' of an English Hot-Rod of 1952 (MG 'something', sorry, this is all I know about).

Here's one pic just for you to realize what I'm talking about:

*(please, ignore my garage floor braking, the builder next door will pay a whole new garage floor in the coming days because of his activities in my neighborhood... )

The car arrived today but it's scheduled to be started tomorrow.

I could see in chassis and car documentation I'm with a 1979 model.

Customer don't have any precise info regarding what's 'original', but I believe it still has original paint. Overall condition is good. Although I've not tested yet, it's to be a single stage.

The full body of the car is fiberglass. Unfortunately, I don't own proper fiberglass polishes but every type of car polish.

From my inspection, the paint presents holograms meaning it was buffed previously. It also has some oxidation, scratches, and swirls. It's not presenting any failure.

My intention is to improve the paint (albeit not looking for full correction). I'll also work details, metal, chrome, rubber, glass, top, etc...

Can anyone (please) share tips and ideas to work within this project? Any concern? Am I 'expecting' softness or hardness?

I'm planning on rinseless / waterless, claying, some light / medium polishing and coating.

Sure I may change plans according to your suggestion here.

Any input will be really appreciated.

More pictures I'll show when I finish the project and deliver the car to customer.

Thank you very much in advance,

Kind Regards.
    “Nature is pleased with simplicity. And nature is no dummy”

― Isaac Newton

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Need tips for Polishing Brazilian Classic 1979 MP Lafer (Fiberglass car)

Tato,

I would love to give my general recommendation for working on a nom-metallic substrate, but I can't

I have been informed via PM by another Forum Member, that I am not a Detailer because my paycheck doesn't say that I am

Kyle Allen
    Car Washer?

I feel so lost now

Post Thanks / Like

Dear, I appreciate your input (as always!).

Please, don't worry, I consider you a detailer independently on what says your paycheck.

I've followed your messages, tips, tricks, participations, and I'd love to hear your opinion.

Don't let a single member bother you in that matter. We're all here to learn.

Kind Regards.

― Isaac Newton

Mike Phillips

Cool car!

Quote Originally Posted by Tato View Post

Customer don't have any precise info regarding what's 'original', but I believe it still has original paint.

Overall condition is good. Although I've not tested yet, it's to be a single stage.

The full body of the car is fiberglass. Unfortunately, I don't own proper fiberglass polishes but every type of car polish.

From my inspection, the paint presents holograms meaning it was buffed previously. It also has some oxidation, scratches, and swirls. It's not presenting any failure.
    The substrate doesn't matter as you are working on the surface so treat like paint and only use compounds, polishes and waxes meant for paint.

Products meant for boats, (fiberglass or gel-coat), tend to be a LOT more aggressive and could harm car paint.

Can anyone (please) share tips and ideas to work within this project? Any concern? Am I 'expecting' softness or hardness?
    If the paint is in fact a single stage white paint job then you can expect it to be hard but don't judge till you do some testing.

When working on single stage paints it's the pigment type that determines paint hardness and for white paint the pigment is titanium dioxide powder. This is a very hard mineral and it imparts it's hardness characteristic to the resin that it is blended into.

Back in the 1990's when I had my third brick and mortar detail shop, for the most part I turned down doing any correction work on single stage white paint as the paint was too hard and too thin and the reward was never worth the risk or the effort.

But do some testing first and read through this classic article where I talk about white paint and the Mohs Hardness Scale.

The Lesson White Paint Teaches Us

I'm planning on rinseless / waterless, claying, some light / medium polishing and coating.

Since you have the Flex 3401 I'd test out this tool with 5" Hybrid pads and any of your premium compounds. I think in the past you've mentioned you have Menzerna FG 400 I'd recommend giving this a try with the orange or blue 5" Hybrid pads.

Looking forward to your write-up...

Post Thanks / Like

Dear Mike,

That's much more one can expect in a single answer. You could join all technical data I needed while boosting my confidence to get ready to work.

The later was the main objective of this thread, thank you so much for all.

I have read the white paint lesson at least twice, and will go after it again, every time I learn something new there.

I'll do my best to make a write up on this one, although I am not going for a hundred percent on paint, the whole car offers much room for improvement in and out. You'll see!

Kind Regards from Brazil.

― Isaac Newton