autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Pinnacle Black Label Diamond Surface Coating Removal?

Pinnacle Black Label Diamond Surface Coating, how do i effectively remove this coating from my 13 Boss? I have the following products and if need be I can get whatever else is needed,

~Porter Cable 7424XP
    ~Wolfgang Total Swirl Remover 3.0
    ~Wolfgang Finishing Glaze 3.0
    ~Pinnacle Black Label Diamond Paint Sealant
    ~Pinnacle Souverän Paste Wax
    ~A whole mess of 6.5" & 4" Inch CCS Lake Country Pads

I've noticed some imperfections beneath the coating which has driven me crazy soo... I've decided to finally start doing the work myself on my cars and not deal with 3rd parties.

Goals are to strip the entire Pinnacle Diamond Coating and start from scratch, I wanna know the jobs done perfect the right way

Now do you think Wolfgang TSR 3.0 will be strong enough to remove the coating, dont wanna go deeper than need be? Which pad should I try out first? (state a color I probably have it LOL) Does AG sell extended spindle accessories for the Porter Cable? Thanks,

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Pinnacle Black Label Diamond Surface Coating Removal?

The TSR and an orange pad should remove the coating, will it remove your imperfections? Follow up with the Finishing Glaze on a white pad, jewel with a black pad if desired and reapply the coating.

Post Thanks / Like

Finishing Glaze would probably remove it but not the imperfections. PBL leaves a great look but durability is questionable, I have done 5 or so cars with it, it didn't seem to last long for me. Anything that will remove your defects will remove the coating.
    I've not seen anything to extend the spindle for the BP.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by dizzyscure1 View Post

Now do you think Wolfgang TSR 3.0 will be strong enough to remove the coating, dont wanna go deeper than need be?
    A couple of section passes over each section should remove the coating and get you down to a fresh base. It is at this point you want to continue working a section till you've removed the paint defects to your satisfaction.

Which pad should I try out first? (state a color I probably have it LOL)
    I would go with a white foam polishing pad to remove the coating. If you want to remove swirls and scratches then start with a foam cutting pad, in the CCS line these would be yellow or orange. You really can't make a mistake with any of these pads, this tool or the Wolfgang line of compounds and polishes.

Does AG sell extended spindle accessories for the Porter Cable? Thanks,
    AG sells an adapter that enables you to use a small rotary buffer backing plate and because the adapter is a about 2" long it works as an extension but here's the deal..l the further you place the backing plate and pad away from the spindle the more wobble you're going to experience and it's going to wear more on the bearings.

There's a regular member on this forum by the name of Art aka hernandez.art13 and somewhere on this forum he has a thread about how he did some type of modification along these lines.

I don't use this type of set-up myself nor recommend it for these types of tools so use your own judgment.

This is where the new PE8 will come in handy...

The NEW FLEX PE8 Kompakt Rotary Polisher Polisher in ACTION!

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks,

Super Member CarolinasFinestDetailing's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Make sure to clean your pad often OP. You'll go from the pad clogging with TSR and coating to clear coat and TSR. I would stop after a few passes to remove coating and clean pad, then continue addressing imperfections. Have fun!!!
    Carolina`s Finest Detailing - Charlotte areas preferred CQuartz Finest Reserve & GTECHNIQ Crystal Serum Ultra coating center. STEK/Suntek PPF
    www.Carolinasfinestdetailing.me

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sicktred08fsi View Post
    Make sure to clean your pad often OP. You'll go from the pad clogging with TSR and coating to clear coat and TSR. I would stop after a few passes to remove coating and clean pad, then continue addressing imperfections. Have fun!!!
    That's what I've been thinking, I know the coatings hard and has to come off somewhere and I don't want it grinding back into the clear coat below. I wont be home for a few weeks but cant wait to jump in, Hopefully the weather isn't too nasty :/