autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Harbor Freight polisher question

I saw this on the website and I recall that people have had good experiences with it:
    6 in. 5.7 Amp Heavy Duty Dual Action Variable Speed Polisher

However I thought I remembered something regarding the backing plate and it's compatibility with commonly used pads. Can someone shed some light on this? Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Harbor Freight polisher question

By the time you add a better backing plate and some pads you may as well go with one of the starter kits offered here for just a few dollars more. Don't get me wrong, for the price it's a decent machine and makes a good backup (or carpet or tire scrubber), but there's just something about it that scares me away from using it on preciously thin clear coats. I realize it's just a stigma. But for like $50 more you'll get a proven workhorse Porter Cable 7424XP, a high quality PU backing plate, three flat pads and a couple of decent microfiber towels.

Porter Cable 7424xp Value Kit
    Francesco

Post Thanks / Like

I've had one for a couple years now and really like it. I caught it on sale and used a coupon I found in a car magazine. I think it ended up being around $45 out the door.

The first year I owned it, I used the stock plate with HF's pads. They actually worked well, but the polishing and compounding pads would only last one vehicle before coming apart. After that, I switched up to a 5" LC backing plate and 5.5" LC pads and have never looked back.

I think it was a great value. For the price of the tool and the LC backing plate and pads, I came out well under the price of another brand's machine. It works really well and I've been able to get great results. My only complaint is it's a little loud. However, since I always wear hearing protection when using power tools, it's a moot point for me.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

Post Thanks / Like

Use a coupon, grab a 5" LC backing plate, and you're good to go. I also have a 3" LC backing plate that I use with smaller pads. The cycle brushes work great with it too.

I believe this is more on par with the GG 6" - it is more powerful than the PC. The PC is a great tool, and nearly impossible to do any damage with, but the costower ratio on the HF is great. If I did this any more frequently than I do, I'd definitely grab a Flex or a Rupes. But for the hobbiest/no rush part timer - this is a great value.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle_Elantra View Post
    Use a coupon, grab a 5" LC backing plate, and you're good to go. I also have a 3" LC backing plate that I use with smaller pads. The cycle brushes work great with it too.

I believe this is more on par with the GG 6" - it is more powerful than the PC. The PC is a great tool, and nearly impossible to do any damage with, but the costower ratio on the HF is great. If I did this any more frequently than I do, I'd definitely grab a Flex or a Rupes. But for the hobbiest/no rush part timer - this is a great value.
    Totally agree.

Reading through you comment about having a 3" plate for it makes me think I might pick up a second one with a coupon simply for the 3" usage. If I catch the sales and coupons right I'll get both DA's for less than the GG 3" polisher.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

Post Thanks / Like

this HF DA is a great bargain (especially at this sale price and if you also have a coupon) and it's been proven reliable every bit as much as any other DA out there. throw on a 5" (also 3"-3.5") DA backing plate and you're good to go...

Post Thanks / Like

I just bought one of these and during the AGO black friday sale picked up an LC 5" bp and 5.5" LC pads. Can you use a 3" bp and pads with this? Do you need to switch out the counterweight when doing so?

I'm new to DA polishers so I'm not real familiar with what is needed.

Post Thanks / Like

Just to reiterate what everyone has said, buy autogeek worthy pads and plates, 5.5 inch or 3 inch Lake Country with the matching backing plate, and you are good to go. I've had mine for about 6 months and haven't run into any problems. It's good enough for a hobbyist, I can't justify spending the money for a Flex, yet...

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DRO220 View Post
    I just bought one of these and during the AGO black friday sale picked up an LC 5" bp and 5.5" LC pads. Can you use a 3" bp and pads with this? Do you need to switch out the counterweight when doing so?

I'm new to DA polishers so I'm not real familiar with what is needed.

I wonder as well

Has anyone altered the counterweight in their PC for using 3" pads?

Did it smooth out the operation if the machine?

Post Thanks / Like

Justify? What's that? Hehehe...

What do you label a hobbyist who owns an HF, PC, GG and has just (unjustifiably) picked up a Flex?
    Francesco

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast