autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

whats the best way to prep and clean weather stripping and protect the weather seals and the moonroof seals

WANT TO ASK....WHATS THE BEST WAY TO PREPARE AND CLEAN ALL weather seals and rubber thoroughly on your car vehicle BEFORE I USE 1Z Einszett Rubber Care Stick Gummi Pflege, I WANT TO DO MY MOON ROOF MOLDING OUTSIDE AND INSIDE AND WEATHER STRIPPING AND WHAT DO I CLEAN THEM WITH FIRST BEFORE I APPLY 1Z Einszett Rubber Care Stick Gummi Pflege, AND ALSO ANY RECOMENDATIONS IF THERE IS ANY OTHER PRODUCT I SHOULD USE BESIDES 1Z Einszett Rubber Care Stick Gummi Pflege AFTER I CLEAN ALL THE RUBBER WEATHER STRIPPING AND THE OUTSIDE WEATHER STRIP FOR THE MOONROOF TY

Post Thanks / Like

Re: whats the best way to prep and clean weather stripping and protect the weather seals and the moonroof seals

You will want to clean the seals by using a apc on a microfiber towel wiping in one direction gently, though it may take three or more cleanings before fully clean

Post Thanks / Like

Re: whats the best way to prep and clean weather stripping and protect the weather seals and the moonroof seals

Quote Originally Posted by jamesboyy View Post
    You will want to clean the seals by using a apc on a microfiber towel wiping in one direction gently, though it may take three or more cleanings before fully clean
    Then....

Einszett Rubber Care Stick Gummi Pflege, gummi pflege
    2018 Colorado ZR2

Post Thanks / Like

You can also use a vent brush with APC to clean. As others have stated, if they haven't been cleaned in a long time, it might take a few rounds to loosen up the crud.
    2016 Accord EXL V6 w/Navi & Sensing - Black/Ivory
    2019 Acura RDX A-Spec - Black/Red; 2019 Acura TLX Base 2.4L - MSM/Black
    2008 CRV EX - Black/Black 2003 Accord EX V6 - Black/Tan

Post Thanks / Like

The Gummi Pflege is great stuff. Really seems to protect newer weather stripping and brings older stuff back to life.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gobygred View Post
    The Gummi Pflege is great stuff. Really seems to protect newer weather stripping and brings older stuff back to life.
    Does it completely dry to the touch? If so, how long does it usually take to dry?

Post Thanks / Like

•P21S Total Auto Wash (TAW) is excellent
    at cleaning/prepping EPDM “rubber”.

•Afterwards, it’s:
    Quote Originally Posted by pro 4x View Post
    Einszett Rubber Care Stick Gummi Pflege, gummi pflege
    Quote Originally Posted by gobygred View Post
    The Gummi Pflege is great stuff.
    ... +3

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Post Thanks / Like

Wurth saBesto Rubber Care Gel Stick

I have a couple bottles of Wurth SaBesto Rubber Care Gel Stick I bought some years ago, but never opened or used. The bottle says that it contains Naphtha, which is a petroleum based product.

Per FunX50, and this autopia thread: Rubber Weather stripping around the doors..., EPDM is not supposed to be exposed to oils.

Is this Wurth stick something that will damage rubber seals? The car is a 2017 Accord.

Autopia Thread quote: Glass `Rubber` Seals

The seals on automobile are no longer made from natural rubber. Auto manufacturers use a specialized synthetic material called EPDM, (ethylene propylene diene monomer). Natural rubber or blends that contain rubber cannot endure the direct exposure to ultra violet radiation (UV) and oxidation.

EPDM has extremely poor resistance to solvents and oils. Do not use a cleaner or any chemical product that contains oils or Dimethalsilicone (DMS) usually a clear greasy liquid, which leaves a never-dry gloss film, as most contain petroleum distillate solvents that are that are incompatible with EPDM.

Exterior - For dull or faded seals or window mouldings- remove imbedded white stains in vinyl and rubber mouldings; first wipe the mouldings with a multi-purpose cleaner. P21S Total Auto Wash or 1z Plastik Reiniger (Deep Cleaner) both products are excellent for this task. This removes any wax / polish / silicone debris and dissolves surface stains.

Protection - with 1z einszett Vinyl Rubber Care & Potectant "Tiefenpfleger? provides a temperature-resistant seal and a low-shine matte finish Dust-resistant and retards the fading effects of UV rays to keep exterior ?rubber? and vinyl looking like new. Apply (every three months) with a micro fibre towel or applicator pad and give the trim a quick once over.

Interior - The soft seals around doors, windows, sunroofs, hood and trunk are constantly being flexed and compressed all the while being subjected to a hostile environment. Use a product that contains glycerine (Iz enzett Gummi Pflege or Zymol Seal) a natural plant anti-oxidizing agent, it will prolong the useful life of the seal by restoring the original moisture and resist tearing and sticking

For dull or faded ?rubber? (EPDM) seals or window mouldings: along the top edge of the door, where the window enters and exits the door there is a gasket, fully roll down the window and use a micro fibre towel and clean in between the rubber seals on both sided of the window. The inside edge of this gasket is usually felt lined and can/will pick up contaminations (oil / grease) as the window is operated. Be sure to clean the inner gasket edge thoroughly at the same time you`re cleaning the guides.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Wurth saBesto Rubber Care Gel Stick

Quote Originally Posted by charlestek View Post
    I have a couple bottles of Wurth SaBesto Rubber Care Gel Stick I bought some years ago, but never opened or used. The bottle says that it contains Naphtha, which is a petroleum based product.

Per FunX50, and this autopia thread: Rubber Weather stripping around the doors..., EPDM is not supposed to be exposed to oils.

Is this Wurth stick something that will damage rubber seals? The car is a 2017 Accord.
    Do you guys think this Blackfire Total Trim & Tire Sealant is safe to use on EPDM rubber? It doesn’t say whether or not it contains petroleum distillates.