autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

60 year old single stage -planning

60 year old single stage -planning

Hey Mike,

I read your single stage on the old Lincoln and noticed it was a few years back and new technology has been introduced since.

I am going to be working on a 57 Ford green and white. I ha e not seen the car yet, only photos and it looks pretty oxidized.

I'm curious about your thoughts on using nanodisk by hand vs a clay bar for the initial decontamination? Second question is has anything else come along besides Meg's #7 to nourish and clean the Paint?

As always, I appreciate all you share with us!

Rich

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

2. Likes Aaryn NZ liked this post
    Mike Phillips

Re: 60 year old single stage -planning

Wow!

Now this is one rare opportunity!

Quote Originally Posted by supercharged75 View Post

Hey Mike,

I read your single stage on the old Lincoln and noticed it was a few years back and new technology has been introduced since.
    Sure, LOTS of new technology has been introduced but that doesn't matter, the product I would use was introduced when single stage paint was INVENTED.

I am going to be working on a 57 Ford green and white. I ha e not seen the car yet, only photos and it looks pretty oxidized.
    You're wrong, it looks HORRIBLY oxidized.

I'm curious about your thoughts on using nanodisk by hand vs a clay bar for the initial decontamination?
    I wouldn't do it myself. You're going about this backwards.

The Comet Trick

If you want to wash it, (I normally don't wash classics and introduce water where rust can form), then I would use the old Comet Trick.

That is wash the car THOROUGHLY to first remove loose dirt, and looks like there's plenty of it. Then re-wash the car using a fresh clean wash mitt and a couple of cans of Comet. The Comet will more-or-less gently remove the majority of the oxidation and get you down to a fresh base. Also wash all the glass, chrome and stainless steel with the Comet and remove years of road film, oxidation, tarnish and even light rust.

You could also use Bon-Ami but I would go with Comet, it's a tick more aggressive and this isn't saying much.

Then, afterwards, machine polish with BLACKFIRE One Step and a foam polishing pad on an orbital. AFTER that rub the paint down with the #7 to gorge it with the TS oils in the #7 and then seal with your favorite finishing wax. Then stick a fork in it and call it done and stand back and admire the results.

By the time you do all of the above you won't need the Nanoskin anything or clay.

If you were to try to use a Nanoskin something on it - it would toast the expensive Nanoskin product (for no good reason), and if you try to clay it you'll simply load up your clay with dead paint.

If you're not going to wash it then,

Get some wash cloths and rub the paint down with heavy applications of the #7, especially the first application.

Or waterless wash it and then hit it with BLACKFIRE One Step or 3D Speed, both really good one-step cleaner/waxes.

Have you seen my Chevelle write-up for One Step?

Cool car, which I could restore the paint. You're going to be working on REAL paint, not plastic like new cars have....

Second question is has anything else come along besides Meg's #7 to nourish and clean the Paint?
    No nothing. Sheldon from the Big Bang has not invented the Time Machine yet to go back in time and invent something different than the #7 so that this new product could endure since the time single stage paint was invented.

As always, I appreciate all you share with us!

Rich

Always a pleasure to help others with their car detailing projects...

Be sure to get on a ladder and take what I call the High Overhead Hood Shot of the BEFORE condition BEFORE you or ANYONE starts rubbing on the original and ugly before paint.

4. Likes Aaryn NZ liked this post
    Mike Phillips

I always try to share this with people that have cool projects like this.... not everyone takes the time to do as I suggest in my article from 2009

The power in the after shots is created in the before shots

Excerpt

Also, after you polish out a neglected car you can ALWAYS get the after shots, just walk out to the garage and take some pictures. But you can NEVER go back in time to take the "before shots.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Mike, first time I've heard of the Comet or Bon-Am1 cleanser trick. That Meg's Wash Plus+ with the fine polish in it reminds me of something like Comet or Bon-Ami. Soft Scrub for you car's paint. I've been using to prep cars for about 2 months now and find it a great prep wash.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by DBAILEY View Post

Thanks Mike, first time I've heard of the Comet or Bon-Am1 cleanser trick.
    I shared it here probably back in 2009 or so when I described the down and dirty way I removed the oxidation off a 1970's Datsun Honeybee.

It works. It's not the most prestigious way to go about an antique paint restoration but this old Ford is BEAT. So at this point it's really hard to do anything worse to it than has already happened.

The NOT washing with water "professional courtesy" thing I do has more to do with restored cars (where rust has already been removed), not barn finds still filled with cancer.

I'd take Comet and a good wash mitt to the ENTIRE car.

Be very careful around valve stems though, they can be broken off easily and then you have a flat tire to deal with and take all the fun out of the project. Been there, done that...

8. Likes ronkh57 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Mike, thanks so much for the advice. The owner rides with a group of rat rods and investors card that are mechanically modified. The car is getting exhaust work done and had to leave state for work but unwell see the car in the next 4 weeks or so.

Initially I was going to go waterless based on other articles you'd written about water and seals, etc. But since it's not restored I think I'll do some research on the comet wash followed by a a o e step. I have HD Speed in my arsenal already. Will the montan wax prevent the #7 from nourishing the paint or should I nourish then hit it with speed?

Thank you again sir.

Rich

10. Likes Dan Tran liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Finally got the car in my hands, I'll be starting in the morning!!

12. Likes SWETM liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

This is going to be a good thread... If time allows, please do a thorough job photo documenting all the before's and after's of each step. Please keep us in the loop of the process!

Post Thanks / Like

Going to pick up a couple cand of comet tonight. As you can see the paint is really dirty, I hope the crud comes out if the paint.

15. Likes SWETM liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I can't wait to see how this turns out!!,,bedsides the oxidation that car has A LOT of area to do,,I'd even like to see the after comet pic as it's probably been a good 20 years since I've used it
    “I have trouble with names and faces, but I never forget a car.”

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast