autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Delorean?????

Post Thanks / Like

Delorean?????

I will be detailing a Delorean and I cant really find any help on doing this. Could you guys and gals give me some advice on how to clean and protect the stainless? I see that some of the areas have minor scratches and scrapes. Is there a way that I can correct that?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Delorean?????

3M Stainless Steel Cleaner and Protectant Spray.

Sorry, that's all I got. Short-nap, extra-heavy microfiber like Avalanche 1100, dampened and wrung out, that's what I use to clean and polish domestic appliances with satin or brushed stainless. I have no idea what DMC originally recommended for cleaning and protecting the outer panels.
    Francesco

Post Thanks / Like

Pick up a can of shelia shine from a local hardware store. For the scratches id tread lightly because if you dont do it properly you could end up having to do the whole car. There is also a kit you can buy for deloreans. Unless the customer wants the scratches fixed i wouldnt touch them.

Post Thanks / Like

Minor (Stainless steel cleaner & Scotch-Brite Pad) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Kt8VmzREko

Heavy duty https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=28SljwnxSqQ

Post Thanks / Like

Some one on here posted a big thread on a delorian. He said it ate his lunch and 2 dinners. He also made it look like chrome!.

Honestly the best stuff I have ever found for Stainless or chrome,, is 1 of two things. and cost wise i would honestly try this first on a test spot. it comes in powder or cream

your other best ever option is maybe a tube of this and some of the polishing soap.

and this

I hope you didnt sell yourself short. this is no small task.

Post Thanks / Like

Mike Brewer and Ed China restored one on the Velocity show Wheeler Dealers. If you can find that show you can learn a lot about how to revive the stainless on that car.

I really enjoyed the show and learned a lot about stainless car bodies.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by brondondolon View Post
    Pick up a can of shelia shine from a local hardware store. For the scratches id tread lightly because if you dont do it properly you could end up having to do the whole car. There is also a kit you can buy for deloreans. Unless the customer wants the scratches fixed i wouldnt touch them.
    That is what I use in our commercial kitchen. A little goes a long way.

Post Thanks / Like

I had one and here is how to do it. Everything needs to go with the grain of the stainless, do not work across it. Grain can be restored with Scotch Brite pads as noted by an earlier poster. Clean only with a non abrasive cleanser like Barkeepers friend, Soft Scrub or the like I used to use Bon Ami or Ajax.

Add about a cup of cleanser to a bucket of water. Keeping the cleanser/water stirred while you work brush it onto the car working in in with the grain of the steel. A long handle, tampico wall cleaning brush works well. Do the whole car with the cleanser and rinse VERY WELL with water. Let the car air dry, you are done with the stainless.

Stainless steel looks its best clean with nothing applied to it. Sheila Shine, Newsteel and other similar products are OK for indoor use, outside, they attract dust and the car gets dirty very fast. Outside a Delorean will look its best the longest when it is squeaky clean.

Use regular products on the bumpers, tires, glass and interior. I never found anything that could touch it up. Exterior wash needs to be all in.

At the time I owned the car I ran a food processing plant which had a 18 person cleaning crew whoose main task was cleaning stainless steel equipment. Two of my cleaning crew could do my car in about ten minutes. Its Stainless Steel and needs to be cleaned as such.
    Fred R. Elias Jr.
    Warren, MI. 48091
    1-586-755-1245

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by brondondolon View Post
    For the scratches id tread lightly because if you dont do it properly you could end up having to do the whole car. Unless the customer wants the scratches fixed i wouldnt touch them.
    +1 I would not Scotch Brite anything but the lightest of surface scratches.
    Fred R. Elias Jr.
    Warren, MI. 48091
    1-586-755-1245

Post Thanks / Like

Andrew "Big A" In NY IS THE DELOREAN DETAILER. You can try to contact him. Good luck with that.
    You have to "re-gain" these.

Here's a link to some products
    DeLorean Motor Company - 9-2-0 Cleaning Supplies

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast