autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Streaks on windsheild

I have these streaks/lines going up and down my windshield from some build up. It blocks my view, especially when it rains. I tried everything to get it off but to no avail. What can I use to get them off? Also, I bought new wipers twice but when it rains it just moves the water and leaves water streaks as all across my entire window so I cant see. This is preventing me from going out when it rains and its worse at night. Please help!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Streaks on windsheild

Do the lines follow the motion of the windshield wipers? If so, we call these "wiper trails" and are usually caused by using wipers on a dirty windshield in areas where they may be abrasive particles (rust belt where the salt has "sand" in it, or in, um...sandy areas. This can require a lot of work to correct.

Or are you seeing random specks? These also can be hard to correct as they are typically rock chips.

If the window is simply filmy, there are many products you could use to simply remove that film and restore the glass to smoothness and better wiper operation. These vary from household products like Bon Ami, to most car polishes, to dedicated glass products.

Oh, and since this is your first post, welcome to the forum! Hopefully you are here for your problem and not about to lay some miracle glass product on us.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

No, they are wiggly streaks running up and down the windshield. So BonAmi wont scratch the windshield?

Another question, why does the morning fog take so long to unfog the outside of the windshield even after I turn on the heat? I have to keep running the wipers until the heat gets rid of it.

Sorry, one more question. I have a Toyota Corolla S model (2007). Do I need special wipers because the ones I have that supposedly fits it doesn't completely wipe all the water off. It kind of smears it. Do I need better wipers and if so what brand do you recommend?

No, Im not here to promote anything. . Sorry for all the questions.

Thanks for the welcome... Glad I found this venue.

Debbie

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to autogeek, have you tried cleaning the windows with at least three towels(one for picking up most contamination, one for cleaning other for removing steaks) if that don't help a good clay barring the windshield, and or polishing might be your answer(but test on a window that's out of your field of vision first) also a wax, or sealant that you have on hand may help the morning dew bead/clear up quicker, as for wipers it sound like you need new ones, however your OEM wipers from the dealer might be best thought a brand like Rain-x is good too

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...ld-wipers.html

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

What have you tried so far on the exterior glass?

Has the exterior glass ever had a semi -permanent coating applied?

What is your method for cleaning the interior glass?

Post Thanks / Like

Believe it or not, even glass benefits from a thorough cleaning and polishing. I use the term cleaning however mean it in a much deeper sense...

Windshield

1. Clean the outer surface using your favorite cleaner. Removing all soluble contaminates is paramount to achieving near perfect results.
    2. Now it's time to polish the glass. By polishing, you'll remove residue, grime, bug and one product I like is, Gtechniq G4 Glass Nano Polish. Although not needed, I achieve the best results when using this product on a white foam pad when my Porter Cable 7424xp polisher.
    3. Once completed, wash as usual and dry using a waffle weave microfiber glass towel for a streak-free shine....

Protectant - Aquapel

BobbyG - 2004 Millennium Yellow Z06 Corvette

Post Thanks / Like

I think Bobby nailed it. I haven't used the Gtechniq, but I have had good luck with the Griot's Garage glass polish. Then some sealant and you should be set.

Post Thanks / Like

We are missing what is on the glass or what has been done already. The fact that the glass fogs up repeatedly and takes a long time to clear this indicated to me that there is something hydrophobic on the glass already...

Post Thanks / Like

I would take a flashlight and a piece of paper out to your car. Put the piece of paper under the windshield from the interior of the car. You can have someone help you with this. Then standing outside shine the flashlight in towards the paper looking at the glass. This will help you spot inconsistencies in your glass easier. You may even be able to tell what the debris is and thus make it easier to remove.

Glass is pretty tough. You could try some goo-gone or goof off first to make sure it's not something stupid like egg residue or something like that.

Other than that the posters above have got you covered.
    The secret to getting ahead, is getting started..... ~Mark Twain

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I have tried the traditional glass cleaners, BonAmi and Nail polish remover. The streaks seem to be more noticeable when there is morning dew or its raining. I will try the polish and give you an update. Thank you so much for all the responses.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast