autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Wood trim scratches

I picked up some scratchx 2.0 and tried using it with a microfibre pad on my center console trim by hand but it seem to have created more micro scratches which you can see when the sun hits it at a certain angle. I'm wondering if i should be using a foam pad instead or maybe try some meguiars m205 or another product?.
    2007 Lexus Is250

Post Thanks / Like
    If you have a polishing pad I would use that though if you dont then use a bit more elbow grease with meguiars m105 and m205 dont forget to mask everything for easy clean up then be sure to apply a sealant of choice once corrected to your standard

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Wood trim scratches

I have corrected minor scratches on the faux wood trim (GMC) using Meguiar's D300 on a 4" White CCS pad

Fast hand motions, light to moderate pressure

Takes quite a while

I suspect that the microfiber applicator is the issue. I can scratch the trim with a microfiber if too much pressure is applied

Periods have been removed purposely.

Is everyone except Scrub147 still able to understand the thoughts above?

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't have m105 or 205 so I will have to order it but I was hoping the scratchx would have done the job. I also heard of a plastic scratch polish called novus that was supposed to work well. I may just end up ordering the meguiars along with a foam pad.
    2007 Lexus Is250

Post Thanks / Like

I've found interior wood surfaces can vary significantly from manufacturer to manufacturer. Some take well to a more aggressive polish and have clear very similar to a vehicle's exterior and some are EXTREMELY soft requiring very a light touch for correction.

If your lexus is faux wood, a plastic polish may work better, if genuine it depends on what the wood is finished with.

SELF BANNED
    Post Thanks / Like
    I can attest that the Novus plastic polishing system works well. I have used it on two different vehicle to remove scratches from instrument clusters.

Sent from my HTC One using AG Online

Mike Phillips

Read through this...

How to Remove Hair line scratches on Wood Trim?

Notice the title is a blue clickable link to itself. That's what I do for articles with helpful information so I can simply highlight, copy and past the title/link to a thread like this.

Read posts #9, #20, #24, #40, #41, #43, and the pictures in post #55

Read through the entire thread but in the above posts I explain how to do this work with emphasis on the complexity of doing this type of work as well as how to move your hand...

And do read everything posted by WestEnd and our interaction.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by ntec View Post
    I picked up some scratchx 2.0 and tried using it with a microfibre pad on my center console trim by hand but it seem to have created more micro scratches which you can see when the sun hits it at a certain angle. I'm wondering if i should be using a foam pad instead or maybe try some meguiars m205 or another product?.

Application material is important.

Normally you would use a FIBER pad for more correction or the removal of material. The FIBERS can and will leave behind their own scratches but these are usually finer than the defects you're trying to remove.

So then you RE-POLISH using softer a softer foam applicator pad to remove the scratches left by the fibers. Polishing scratches sensitive surfaces is a process and an art form. It can be done if the desire is strong.

Factors that affect how aggressive or non-aggressive a product is