autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Help me before I loose my mind!!!

Hello fellow detailers,

A little background info-

My good weather car (1995 SVT Cobra) sits in the garage with a cover on it most of the time. Unfortunately I have to share a garage with my 3 cats, so the car has to remained covered at all times. Being that the car has 19 year old original paint, she has some toweling marks and light scratches, but nothing too bad (stayed in the garage for most of its life).

Anyways, The scratching appears to be getting somewhat worse, due to the cover coming on and off when I do get the car out. I suppose that is something that comes with covering a car, but the scratching on my bright rio red paint is seriously killing me. My only other option is to keep my car in a garage that is almost an hour away from my house and I really don't want to keep my car so far away so that I cant enjoy it when I want to!

I know I can remove the toweling marks and light scratches with some polishing, but what is the best way to keep the scratching at bay? I know its impossible to keep the paint perfect forever, but would a paint coating do what I want? Because waxing/sealing alone isn't doing it obviously. What coatings do you guys recommend? The thought of putting something semi-permanent on my paint somewhat scares me, as I have never done anything like it before. I was looking at the detailers paint coating, since it claims to be forgiving to beginners. Thoughts on this product? or any other recommendations for a coating that is around the same price point? Money is somewhat of an object, but I'm not exactly wanting to cheap out. Also looking for something that is somewhat simple to apply. I would say that I know a lot about detailing, but I have never worked with a coating before.

Please help me out you guys. I love my car to death but I hate the scratching!
    '93 Blue Mustang GT,'01 Chrome Yellow Ranger Edge,'02 Blue Expedition XLT, '09 Black Focus SES, '12 Dark Sterling Gray Mustang V6 MCA Edition, '95 Rio Red SVT Cobra

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Help me before I loose my mind!!!

Get rid of the cats,no guy should have cats! LOL

Post Thanks / Like

Why do the cats have free reign of the garage?

Post Thanks / Like

How "soft" is the car cover?
    I wonder if the cats can "scratch through" the cover?
    Is the cover ever put on a: "not so clean" car?

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by trekkeruss View Post
    Why do the cats have free reign of the garage?
    If I had it my way they wouldn't. But not my house, not my rules.
    '93 Blue Mustang GT,'01 Chrome Yellow Ranger Edge,'02 Blue Expedition XLT, '09 Black Focus SES, '12 Dark Sterling Gray Mustang V6 MCA Edition, '95 Rio Red SVT Cobra

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by FUNX725 View Post
    How "soft" is the car cover?
    I wonder if the cats can "scratch through" the cover?
    Is the cover ever put on a: "not so clean" car?

Bob
    It's fairly soft, but I always put a tarp on top of the cover just for the extra protection. And no, no part of the tarp touches the car. Cover always goes on first!

And absolutely not! I know better lol! I always give the car a good cleaning before it goes away in the garage. And I wash the cover whenever possible..

Post Thanks / Like

I have yet to use a coating, but I just ordered some (Cquartz UK). I do not know how much it improves scratch resistance.

Maybe you need one of those bubbles for your car: Car Capsule - Indoor Car Capsule

Post Thanks / Like
    Get a dog

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by trekkeruss View Post
    I have yet to use a coating, but I just ordered some (Cquartz UK). I do not know how much it improves scratch resistance.

Maybe you need one of those bubbles for your car: Car Capsule - Indoor Car Capsule
    You know, I actually did think about a bubble, but due to space limitations in the garage that may not an option. Maybe a last resort though!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by hernandez.art13 View Post
    Get a dog
    HA. I wish! I do love my cats to death, I just wish they didn't rule the garage!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast