autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Curbed front bumper

Sorry, not real sure where this thread should go, and not really the way I wanted to introduce myself, but oh well!

Someone curbed my front bumper(neither the wife or myself are admitting to it, LOL), and wondering if Dr. Colorchip will fix this or if I need another solution. I really would hate to have pull my bumper and get it resprayed.

thanks,
    Randy

curbed_GTI_bumper by relicstrat, on Flickr
    Randy
    2013 CW GTI Autobahn | 2001 Suburban | 1991 Camaro Z28

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Curbed front bumper

Hello, welcome and glad to hear that no one was at fault.

Can't tell 100 percent through the pictures, however this happened to me the other day. KyleAllen was there to see what I did.

I got polish and a 5 1/2" foam pads. I also got rubbing compound and medium cut cutting pad.

polish was Meguiar's M205
    compound was Meguiars M105

Poilshing -pad Lake country white polishing pad
    Cutting - was Lake country medium cut orange pad.

I just made sure the area was clean first tried M205 with white pad. I applied M205 on the pad about a nickel size and started rubbing. It removed some but I knew compounded could remove more.

So I did the same thing with M105 and orange pad. It removed the rest and the part I knew it wasn't going to remove was actually scraped off paint.

I then used diluted rubbing alcohol wipe down and applied Opti Coat to that area. A good sealant would have worked for me too.

Also this can only be done if the scraping is above the paint, if it is below the paint then I knew I won't be able to take it off. When doing this then I applied medium to light pressure and didn't concentrate to much force or energy in one area since I didn't want to burn through the paint.

That's what I did and you can try the same thing, but not sure your experience level so I don't want to recommend you try this, unless you want to.

Also where do you live? Maybe there is a detailer in your area that could provide their services.

Art

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to autogeek as for the defect it looks as if the color and clear coat has been removed as a result exposed the black plastic(bumper) Dr chip would work though touch paint would help the same way and at least with this method you could mix the two together and the blot the scratch away then sand it lightly with 3000 grit sand paper then by hand buff out the sand marks/level the paint evenly with meguiars m105 or a combo like meguiars m105 and m205

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the welcome guys.

Yes, it's down to the black plastic. I just got back from the VW dealer with the correct color paint pen and clear. Since it's down at the corner where it starts to curve underneath the car, as long as I can get it color matched(or close) I think I will be OK with it.
    If not then I'll get the Dr. Colorchip and mix the two,and sand and buff.

thanks again!
    Randy
    Randy
    2013 CW GTI Autobahn | 2001 Suburban | 1991 Camaro Z28