autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

02' Jeep Wrangler black soft top leaving black streaks down entire Jeep, how to i prevent this?

My wife has a yellow 2002 Jeep Wrangler sport with a black soft top. It sits out side and everytime it rains it leaves streaks down the entire jeep that are a pain to get off and look horrible. I never put any product on it. Im ordering her a new top since her's is in dire need of replacement. So with this new one i want to protect it and keep it from leaving those ugly black streaks down it. Any advice will be greatly appreciated. thank you.
    2012 FORD MUSTANG GT 5.0 PREMIUM 1of519 LAVA RED
    WORK IN PROGRESS
    www.SPEED-NEEDS.com MOTORCYCLE DRAG RACE LOWERING STRAPS

Post Thanks / Like

Re: 02' Jeep Wrangler black soft top leaving black streaks down entire Jeep, how to i prevent this?

A good fabric protectant like GTechniq Smart Fabric or 303 High Tech Fabric Guard would be advisable.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: 02' Jeep Wrangler black soft top leaving black streaks down entire Jeep, how to i prevent this?

Since you say it is "in dire need of replacement" I would guess the protective coating is gone and the colorant is leaching out of the fabric? Just a guess on my part though.
    2016 Accord EXL V6 w/Navi & Sensing - Black/Ivory
    2019 Acura RDX A-Spec - Black/Red; 2019 Acura TLX Base 2.4L - MSM/Black
    2008 CRV EX - Black/Black 2003 Accord EX V6 - Black/Tan

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks I will try one of those products. When i order the new top I will put protectant on it first and keep up with it. The top on it now is 12years old and never had any kind of protectant or conditioner put on it.
    2012 FORD MUSTANG GT 5.0 PREMIUM 1of519 LAVA RED
    WORK IN PROGRESS
    www.SPEED-NEEDS.com MOTORCYCLE DRAG RACE LOWERING STRAPS

Post Thanks / Like

Is it a vinyl top or fabrique?
    Look into Raggtopp products, they have a cleaner and protector set for vinyl tops and another for fabrique. I haven't used these on my vinyl hardtop yet, but they were recommended highly by other users.
    You may wanna try these on your current top first,if the only problems are streaking and no tears, cuts etc., they may save you.

Post Thanks / Like

Since you said the car sits outside, the accumulation of dirt could be what the streaks are made of. The rain probably washed off all the loose dirt and runs down the side of your vehicle causing these streaks when the water dries.

Post Thanks / Like
    Typically jeep tops are vinyl. Your going to want to use a protectant with high UV screening. Ragg Topp and 303 Aerospace Protectant are the 2 that typically come up and are usually highly recommended.

I work for 303 so I can speak to that product. While it is a water based product and will appear to be gone after a few rains. The UV protection is still there and is not washed away by the rain. You basically need to reapply every month to renew the uv protection. Also check with the manufacturer and see what material the flexible windows are. If they are eizenglass then 303 will keep it from turning yellow, if it's Strataglass then your going to have to go buy the Imar Strataglass cleaner and protectant

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MPBGT View Post
    Typically jeep tops are vinyl. Your going to want to use a protectant with high UV screening. Ragg Topp and 303 Aerospace Protectant are the 2 that typically come up and are usually highly recommended.

I work for 303 so I can speak to that product. While it is a water based product and will appear to be gone after a few rains. The UV protection is still there and is not washed away by the rain. You basically need to reapply every month to renew the uv protection. Also check with the manufacturer and see what material the flexible windows are. If they are eizenglass then 303 will keep it from turning yellow, if it's Strataglass then your going to have to go buy the Imar Strataglass cleaner and protectant
    Cool, I have a whole bottle of 303 protectant and was asking in another thread if I could put that on my white (Refrigerator white) vinyl hardtop and the few who answered recommended raggtopp.
    Now my question is would topping up 303 protectant with Sonax BSD add another layer of protection? I've already done it and the top beads really nice, just not sure if BSD adds another viable layer of protection?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Guessless View Post
    Cool, I have a whole bottle of 303 protectant and was asking in another thread if I could put that on my white (Refrigerator white) vinyl hardtop and the few who answered recommended raggtopp.
    Now my question is would topping up 303 protectant with Sonax BSD add another layer of protection? I've already done it and the top beads really nice, just not sure if BSD adds another viable layer of protection?
    Ragg Topp is a good product with a great reputation.

As far as topping with Sonax BSD. I have my suspicions about how it would work, but I'll ask the chemist for his opinion before I weigh in on that.

Post Thanks / Like

When I had my Honda I used 303 AP on the top and it would run in the rain and leave streaks down the side of the car. I switched to RaggTopp for vinyl and it looked awesome, lasted a pretty long time and I never had another streak down the side of the car.
    Dave

Black is not a color, it's a part time job!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast