autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Is there a recipe for cleaning and protecting my old Single Stage paint? (lots of blems but decent condition)

Want to bring my Single Stage paint back to life and protect it – hoping to get educated and then gear up before spring weather gets here.

I noticed some great advice on a thread from last year (Difficulty Polishing Single Stage Paint),and now I am finding the other Mike Phillips articles on SS paint renewal and care.

In my case, I am starting with a 1950 Studebaker pickup truck that was repainted tan for whatever reason back in the 50’s I am guessing. I already do have smooth paint and a shine on the majority of the truck (and then a separate issue on the painted roof of the cab - bad white paint, crackled a bit, rough) over the past 6 years I have used various Megs cleaners and waxes, Klasse as well.

Today I am just trying to study up and figure out a routine. Hopefully, there are others here on the forum like me who didn’t just stumble onto a dusty and crusty barn find – just want to take care of the old paint. I realize that every situation is maybe a bit unique depending on the condition of the paint, I am shooting for products and processes to cooperate with my paint. Don't mind the hard work, just figured it would be smart to learn how to do it right ....and avoid the PRF (product removal frustration) that can make us grumpy.

I would love to settle on a recipe – like:
    (1) rinse, wash with dawn, rinse and dry. Got that.
    (2) clay ?? only if paint is oxidized?
    (3) M105 -or- M205 -or- M07 -or- HD Polish+ ??
    (4) Ok now what? Klasse twins -or- Optimum?
    (4) Done?? yellow wax on top?

THanks!

Is there a recipe for cleaning and protecting my old Single Stage paint? (lots of blems but decent condition)-dscn1982-edit1-jpgIs there a recipe for cleaning and protecting my old Single Stage paint? (lots of blems but decent condition)-img_1066-jpg

Mike Phillips

Re: Is there a recipe for cleaning and protecting my old Single Stage paint? (lots of blems but decent condition)

Quote Originally Posted by rcke View Post

Want to bring my Single Stage paint back to life and protect it – hoping to get educated and then gear up before spring weather gets here.

I noticed some great advice on a thread from last year (Difficulty Polishing Single Stage Paint), and now I am finding the other Mike Phillips articles on SS paint renewal and care.
    That's a lot of reading....

In my case, I am starting with a 1950 Studebaker pickup truck that was repainted tan for whatever reason back in the 50’s I am guessing. I already do have smooth paint and a shine on the majority of the truck (and then a separate issue on the painted roof of the cab - bad white paint, crackled a bit, rough) over the past 6 years I have used various Megs cleaners and waxes, Klasse as well.
    Cool truck, here's your pictures, I uploaded to your free gallery here,

Today I am just trying to study up and figure out a routine. Hopefully, there are others here on the forum like me who didn’t just stumble onto a dusty and crusty barn find – just want to take care of the old paint. I realize that every situation is maybe a bit unique depending on the condition of the paint, I am shooting for products and processes to cooperate with my paint. Don't mind the hard work, just figured it would be smart to learn how to do it right ....and avoid the PRF (product removal frustration) that can make us grumpy.

I would love to settle on a recipe – like:

(1) rinse, wash with dawn, rinse and dry. Got that.
    (2) clay ?? only if paint is oxidized?
    (3) M105 -or- M205 -or- M07 -or- HD Polish+ ??
    (4) Ok now what? Klasse twins -or- Optimum?
    (4) Done?? yellow wax on top?

Thanks!
    Here's what I would do?

1: Wash with anything but dish soap. Detergents dull single stage paint.

2: Do the Baggie Test after washing and drying - if you feel bumps then "yes" clay.

3: I'd do your correction step first, that would be the compound followed by a polish or you might be able to just use a polish and remove oxidation and restore shine.

4: If you want to do everything you can to ensure the old single stage paint endures over time, machine or hand apply the #7 AFTER the last polishing step, gorge the paint with the TS oils. The wipe off and go to wax.

5: I'd skip the Klasse Twins, wrong chemistry in my opinion. Go for a traditional Carnauba wax but any quality non-cleaning wax would be great.

Option - If you have the 3D HD Speed, after claying, use this and then stick a fork in it and call it done. My guess is it will look great.

Very cool truck!

Thanks for taking this to the forum...

Mike Phillips

Re: Is there a recipe for cleaning and protecting my old Single Stage paint? (lots of blems but decent condition)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    Option - If you have the 3D HD Speed, after claying, use this and then stick a fork in it and call it done. My guess is it will look great.

Very cool truck!
    Interesting option. Wouldn't have thought of trying that! Thanks Mike.

cool truck indeed

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by JustJesus View Post
    Interesting option. Wouldn't have thought of trying that! Thanks Mike.

cool truck indeed

Lazy man's method....

(I'm more lazy than OCD )

He mentioned he had 3D HD Polish so I try to keep people in the brands they are comfortable and this product works great on old single stage paints.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you - very much appreciated

Actually i don't have any 3D HD Speed (yet, but might need for other vehicles - looks interesting)

So if I did grab some and go that route it sounds like you wouldn't recommend a high quality carnauba wax over that .... is that because there is no need and a waste of time and money? or not compatible with the 3D HD Speed?

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you - very much appreciated

Actually i don't have any 3D HD Speed (yet, but might need for other vehicles - looks interesting)

So if I did grab some and go that route it sounds like you wouldn't recommend a high quality carnauba wax over that .... is that because there is no need and a waste of time and money? or not compatible with the 3D HD Speed?
    Sorry for not getting back to your private message. Overall, I'd say Mike already gave all the best advice so I don't really have much else to contribute.

In my experience based on ALL of the classic cars and single stage paints I work on, I can almost guarantee that Klasse AIO isn't going to provide the ease of use or finish you are looking for.

Based on the level of oxidation and dirt that has embedded and stained the paint over the years, I can almost guarantee that you will have issues with M105 and M205. While they are great abrasives, their polishing oils can dry up and become sticky and difficult to remove ESPECIALLY when a lot of oxidation and spent paint residue is being rapidly removed.

I think your best bet would be to purchase HD Polish+ and/or HD Speed.

HD Polish+ utilizes similar abrasive technology as M205 but it's one of the best polishes I've found for polishing single stage paints due to the fact that it's a heavily lubricated formula that in some cases (typically single stage paints) it's actually even easier to use and remove than HD Speed.

If you decide to only get one product, like Mike suggested, HD Speed is going to work well on virtually 99% of paints and is particularly impressive on single stage enamel and lacquer paint jobs.

After using HD Speed you can absolutely still use your carnauba wax on top. IME using a carnauba wax doesn't seem to add anymore gloss or slickness than what you'll get from the Montan Wax that's left behind in HD Speed. That said, you can still absolutely use your favorite carnauba wax. I prefer using a spray wax like optimum car wax on single stage paints.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Awesome awesome and thanks - i think i've got it - and our So Cal weather at the moment will allow....

I'm going to try this recipe
    (1) clay
    (2) HD Polish+
    (3) HD Speed
    (4) side by side test on the hood using (A) Optimum spray wax on one half and (B) Collinite 426S on the other half

Cheers

9. Likes mwoywod, SWETM liked this post
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Awesome awesome and thanks - i think i've got it - and our So Cal weather at the moment will allow....

I'm going to try this recipe
    (1) clay
    (2) HD Polish+
    (3) HD Speed
    (4) side by side test on the hood using (A) Optimum spray wax on one half and (B) Collinite 426S on the other half

Cheers

Dang - i did some reading on this site about applying and leaving overnight Meguiars #7 - putting a question in my head ... would that fit into my process ? Like maybe doing that instead of HD Polish+ ? And asked another way, has anyone ever tried HD Polish+ on a piece of paper to see if the oils do what Megs#7 does?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    Lazy man's method....

(I'm more lazy than OCD )

He mentioned he had 3D HD Polish so I try to keep people in the brands they are comfortable and this product works great on old single stage paints.

I'm more lazy than OCD as well.

And my arms felt like they were gonna fall off that one time I did the Megs #7 technique by hand.

Good point on keeping people in the brands they are comfortable in!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast