autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Old Painters Tape Stuck on Trim?

Good afternoon,

I have been a watcher of these forums for quite a while and have had many questions answered by searching. However, I was hoping I could get some assistance with a problem that I can't seem to figure out.

I bought my '06 Mustang GT Convertible just about three years ago, and of course it's black. I've been having a hard time with the trim, especially the trim that runs around the base of the convertible top. I've given up on using greasy "back to black" type creams and just tried applying C-Quartz (which is great so far). Anyways, while applying the C-Quartz, I noticed that there's some ancient dried-on painters tape stuck on the trim, just about .5mm or less, mainly around the trim that runs the top of the back deck bordering the 'vert top. Even worse, some of the tape actually extends off the trim to cover a tiny strip of paint, so the paint underneath never got painted! I'm assuming whoever owned the car before me had it painted, and whoever painted it did a poor quality control job when applying and removing the tape. Also, in the years I've had the car, it appears that some wax buildup has gotten stuck along some of the old tape and now it just looks horrid. Whenever I look at the back half of the car my eyes just zoom right to it.

Is there a way I can remove this ancient dried-up tape? I can flake some of it off with a fingernail, but I'm afraid of damaging the paint. Also, if I remove the tape that covers part of the paint, how will I avoid any damage to the surrounding clear-coat, or the dangers of rusting? Touch-up paint for now? In a few years after the car is no longer my daily driver I will be investing in a full quality paint-job.

Any assistance is greatly appreciated!

Melissa

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Old Painters Tape Stuck on Trim?

I had the same problem of old stuck on masking tape residue on my project Mustang and used Goo Gone with much success. It's a solvent based product sold for this type of problem (Goof Off is another similar brand) and will easily dissolve old tape residue & adhesive. Just be advised it will also remove any wax / LSP it touches. I'm not sure what it will do to C-Quartz but I would plan on re-applying your LSP / trim protectant products to any surface that the solvent touches.

If the tape residue is really stuck on there I'd recommend dampening a clean rag with the solvent, and then just place it on top of the tape residue and let it sit there for 10-20 minutes to allow the solvent to dwell; once it completely soaks in to the old adhesive it should just wipe off.

Used correctly the solvent shouldn't harm your paint but I'm not sure what to tell you about the tiny area that didn't get painted due to the poor masking job. Was the car repainted the factory color or something completely different? If the paint job was a color change, you may have an obvious strip of different colored paint there once you remove the tape residue. This kind of thing happening is a good example of why the outcome of a paint job is so dependent on proper prep work.
    Alex - Portland, Oregon
    '03 Mercedes C230 Kompressor (Black Opal / Gray) / '91 Jeep Cherokee Laredo (Colorado Red / Gray) / '90 Ford Mustang GT (Oxford White / Gray)

Post Thanks / Like

Melissa Welcome to the forum!

I would try Goof Off or Goo Gone and let them dwell for a few minutes that should do they trick
    Official Detailing Team Member of Air Force One
    Flex 3401 / Flex PE8 / Rupes 21 / G110v2 / GG6" / Rupes 75E / GG3"
    Click and Like my Facebook Page

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

What products do you have available?

What have you tried so far?

Pictures would be very helpful

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Red91Laredo View Post
    I had the same problem of old stuck on masking tape residue on my project Mustang and used Goo Gone with much success. It's a solvent based product sold for this type of problem (Goof Off is another similar brand) and will easily dissolve old tape residue & adhesive. Just be advised it will also remove any wax / LSP it touches. I'm not sure what it will do to C-Quartz but I would plan on re-applying your LSP / trim protectant products to any surface that the solvent touches.

If the tape residue is really stuck on there I'd recommend dampening a clean rag with the solvent, and then just place it on top of the tape residue and let it sit there for 10-20 minutes to allow the solvent to dwell; once it completely soaks in to the old adhesive it should just wipe off.

Used correctly the solvent shouldn't harm your paint but I'm not sure what to tell you about the tiny area that didn't get painted due to the poor masking job. Was the car repainted the factory color or something completely different? If the paint job was a color change, you may have an obvious strip of different colored paint there once you remove the tape residue. This kind of thing happening is a good example of why the outcome of a paint job is so dependent on proper prep work.

It's available OTC auto parts stores...I think even Walmart sells it.

Post Thanks / Like

You may have to lightly score the edge of the tape to prevent the good side from peeling. After removing the tape and depending on the condition of the paint under the tape, it may or may not need wet sanding and some touch up paint.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for all of the responses! I will try the Goo Gone to soften up the old tape. I will also take some pictures.

The paint color was not altered - it appears to be the same stock black. The tiny piece of tape that has already come off of the paint shows that there's still paint under there, but it doesn't look like there's any clear-coat...it's dull (or maybe it's just dull from the tape being on it). I'm wondering if just some careful touch up work would be enough? The size is literally less than 1mm wide.

I've never tried wet-sanding and so far have only "detailed" my car by hand the best I can. Other than some scratches I couldn't get out myself (and this blasted tape), I think the car looks pretty derned good for having 42K miles on it and being black. Oh, black is my nemesis!

I could very well be wrong, but I thought when you get a car repainted, they have to sand it down completely removing all paint and then re-primer, etc etc to properly prep? Or perhaps when they masked off the trim improperly covering a smidge of paint, it's actually the original paint peeking out at me?

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

If you have a high end, show quality paint job done they might sand as far down as to bare metal; but for an average paint job you don't generally go to that extent. More than likely they just scuffed the factory paint to give it some 'tooth' for the new paint to stick to, and shot the new paint on top of it. Of course with any any body work that is needed to repair dents, etc you usually sand down to bare metal, do your repair (massage the dent out & use body filler if needed), prime and/or seal the repair, and shoot the new paint.

So basically if you see dull looking black paint under where the tape was, it's probably the factory paint rather than primer; I'd just try using some compound by hand to see if you can shine it up enough for it to visually blend into the new paint.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Ok pictures! I apologize in advance for the pollen. I just washed the thing yesterday! This time of year in New England is terrible for pollen!

The circled red spot of the 1st picture shows where the teeny piece of tape has come off the paint (please excuse my finger smudge). I think it's old paint underneath. Thoughts?

The other two pictures show the tape on the trim, and then on the paint. Please keep in mind that it's less than 1mm. The thing that makes it look the worst is the dried wax that has gotten stuck up in it.

I've also included a picture of my car so you can see that she does look decent for having 42k miles and being outside all the time. I also only ever use my hands for detail work...I've been too afraid to try machines. Again, please excuse the "green sheen!" This shows the season's first wash/dry/quick detailer...in about a week after the pollen clears up a bit I will be spending a full day on the "big detail."

Thanks again!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Old Painters Tape Stuck on Trim?-car-tape1-jpg   Old Painters Tape Stuck on Trim?-car-tape2-jpg   Old Painters Tape Stuck on Trim?-car-tape3-jpg   Old Painters Tape Stuck on Trim?-car1-jpg