autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

What's my absolute final step?

So I've got my 2014 Mustang GT all prepared and maybe finished....that's to be determined.

I'm really looking for some advice on what I should top this beast off with...or even if needs to be topped off with anything at all.

I've put away the Zaino product for this year and have decided to go with Duragloss after speaking to a few of the well-known Duragloss guys as well as a lengthy conversation with Jerry at Duragloss.

As we all know 90% of the shine and depth is all in the prep.
    Heres the prep:

- Iron X
    - Clay
    - Meguiar's D151 Polish
    - IPA Bath x2
    - Griot's Garage Paint Prep + Dawn Wash
    - Duragloss DG601 + DG501 - 1:4 Ratio
    - Duragloss DG601 + DG105 - 1:4 Ratio - 3 LAYERS/COATS
    - Duragloss DG601 + DG111 - 1:4 Ratio - 2 LAYERS/COATS
    - Duragloss Aquawax as a detail spray and drying aid

Is there anything I top top DG111 for some serious pop?

I have Collinite's products, but I'm looking for some with a lot more depth and pop, durabiltiy doesn't concern me because I absolutely LOVE layering product on (although there are hardly any benefits)

Things I've considered for my Mustang:
    Pinnacle Souveran
    Pinnacle Black Label Synergy
    Blackfire BlackICE Wax
    Zymol Glasur
    Wolfgang Fuzion

Pics of my ride:

All the pictures above are with the vehicle completely stripped of all product (Dawn + a healthy amount of Griot's Garage Paint Prep) to remove any remaining waxes, sealants or glazes.

It really comes to show HOW IMPORTANT PREP really is and what CLEAN paint can do for a vehicle.

This is one of the few pictures with it after being coated.
    Will be taking more later:

For those of you interested, she was on the dyno yesterday:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XqOq3bQalkY

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: What's my absolute final step?

You definitely prepped the heck out of that paint, so I am pretty sure it is "clean", but is it perfect? If the paint is perfect with no hazing or orange peel, it will look great with almost anything on it.

Remember, every layer also has the potential to DECREASE the "pop".

Many products contain ingredients that actually remove whatever it is going on top of. Carbauba waxes contain solvents to make them more user friendly and therefore difficult to layer.

The main purpose of a 2nd coat of any LSP is to make sure you have not missed any spots.

There are millions of opinions in the Wax Wars, this one is mine.

Post Thanks / Like

Use some CG Concours 50/50 of Black wax by CG they have really great results IMO.

Products used:
    CG Citruss wash + Gloss
    CG V36 Compund
    CG V38 Polisher
    CG Blacklight
    CG Wet mirror finish
    CG Jet Seal 109
    CG Black
    CG Hybrid V7

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

In this picture I didn't polish the car but did use the concours 50/50 wax and as well P-40 spray detailer

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
    "I don't consider myself to be the best.. and I don't like compliments.. they distract me." - Jimi Hendrix

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

Glad you like your results with this combo.

Using all these products, were you able to perceive a difference between the bare polished paint and when you applied Blacklight

What about the difference between the Blacklight as LSP and the Wet Mirror Finish?

What improvement did you see by adding the Jet Seal 109, or was that for increased durability?

What differences where there when you added CG Black Wax on top of the Jet Seal 109

Did the Hybrid V7 impart additional gloss when applied over the CG Blacklight, CG Wet Mirror Finish, CG Jet Seal 109 and CG Black?

I hope you are applying all of these by machine!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by allenk4 View Post
    Glad you like your results with this combo.

Using all these products, were you able to perceive a difference between the bare polished paint and when you applied Blacklight

What about the difference between the Blacklight as LSP and the Wet Mirror Finish?

What improvement did you see by adding the Jet Seal 109, or was that for increased durability?

What differences where there when you added CG Black Wax on top of the Jet Seal 109

Did the Hybrid V7 impart additional gloss when applied over the CG Blacklight, CG Wet Mirror Finish, CG Jet Seal 109 and CG Black?

I hope you are applying all of these by machine!
    When I use the cutting compound I notice that the paint began to be more clear such as no swirl marks (Used a orange Hex logic pad) then applied the polish (white hex logic pad) which gave that color pop that I wanted to get. I applied Blacklight in order to protect the first steps that I did in which did gave a gloss effect. The wet mirror finish was applied after blacklight since if I did it the other way around Blacklight tend to remove the results of Wet Mirror finish. I applied Jet seal 109 in order to increase the protection and finally two coats of wax. I did see a difference in which the paint was actually protected for about a month in a half at the time we were in Winter when we had foggy mornings. Most cars would be cover with dust so did my brothers Mustang but it was so easy to knock off the dust when I washed it. I used a PC 7424
    "I don't consider myself to be the best.. and I don't like compliments.. they distract me." - Jimi Hendrix

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by aztec1987 View Post
    When I use the cutting compound I notice that the paint began to be more clear such as no swirl marks (Used a orange Hex logic pad) then applied the polish (white hex logic pad) which gave that color pop that I wanted to get. I applied Blacklight in order to protect the first steps that I did in which did gave a gloss effect. The wet mirror finish was applied after blacklight since if I did it the other way around Blacklight tend to remove the results of Wet Mirror finish. I applied Jet seal 109 in order to increase the protection and finally two coats of wax. I did see a difference in which the paint was actually protected for about a month in a half at the time we were in Winter when we had foggy mornings. Most cars would be cover with dust so did my brothers Mustang but it was so easy to knock off the dust when I washed it. I used a PC 7424

You know I was pulling your leg...right?

That's just a ton of product on one car!

Whatever you like...is what you like

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by allenk4 View Post
    You know I was pulling your leg...right?

That's just a ton of product on one car!

Whatever you like...is what you like
    Sorry I didn't catch it hahaha I just woke up from a nap. I like to protect the cars as much as I can even thou there are time some of my family members tend to scratch the front of the car when they scrape it with a bush while parking and others well they tend to put hard material on the paint where it tends to slide off and leave a nice scratch.

Post Thanks / Like
    DG 105 alone would give you about a year. You went with the DG trifecta and I think topping with AWax once a month is enough. For weekly post washes hit it with your favorite detail spray already have more than enough protection as it is. At some point you can over do the layered approach.
    In my day we didn't have the Internet, iPods,iPads, or smart phones....but we had some really bad-azz cars.

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Toxix View Post
    So I've got my 2014 Mustang GT all prepared and maybe finished....that's to be determined.

I'm really looking for some advice on what I should top this beast off with...or even if needs to be topped off with anything at all.

I've put away the Zaino product for this year and have decided to go with Duragloss after speaking to a few of the well-known Duragloss guys as well as a lengthy conversation with Jerry at Duragloss.

Heres the prep:

- Iron X
    - Clay
    - Meguiar's D151 Polish
    - IPA Bath x2

I have Collinite's products, but I'm looking for some with a lot more depth and pop, durabiltiy doesn't concern me because I absolutely LOVE layering product on (although there are hardly any benefits)

Things I've considered for my Mustang:
    Pinnacle Souveran
    Pinnacle Black Label Synergy
    Blackfire BlackICE Wax
    Zymol Glasur
    Wolfgang Fuzion

Pics of my ride:

All the pictures above are with the vehicle completely stripped of all product (Dawn + a healthy amount of Griot's Garage Paint Prep) to remove any remaining waxes, sealants or glazes.

It really comes to show HOW IMPORTANT PREP really is and what CLEAN paint can do for a vehicle.

This is one of the few pictures with it after being coated.
    Will be taking more later:

For those of you interested, she was on the dyno yesterday:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XqOq3bQalkY
    Keep up whatever ur doing. U have the best looking Stang I have seen yet!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Toxix View Post

Heres the prep:

- Iron X
    - Clay
    - Meguiar's D151 Polish
    - IPA Bath x2

I have Collinite's products, but I'm looking for some with a lot more depth and pop, durability doesn't concern me because I absolutely LOVE layering product on (although there are hardly any benefits)

You say you love layering...... I think someone just likes playing with their new toy.....Lord knows I would!! ...........OH, sorry I just drooled on your car.....

Your new Mustang is just gorgeous! I like everything about the new Mustangs and they say muscle car all over them.....I wish you the best of luck with your new car!!

When using multiple products especially in layers be sure you understand the full scope of their intent or what they actually do.

Duragloss #105 and Duragloss #501 contain cleaners and according to Duragloss; "polishing agents" and polishing agents in my mind are micro abrasives,. The cleaners and polishing agents remove surface oxidation, staining, grime, and the like leaving the finish glass smooth and bright.

I completely understand your intent with all the layering but my fear is each time you applied Duragloss #105 or Duragloss #501 , you were most likely removing any subsequent product that was applied. If you went from Duragloss #501 to Duragloss #111 you might have gained some benefit as Duragloss #111 is a pure sealant without cleaners...the way I interpret it.

Please understand, I'm not being critical, not at all, I think your car is absolutely beautiful. I personally understand and appreciate how much time it takes to make a car look its best but it is possible that a lot of time had hard work may have been for not because of the products design..

Have you ever thought about using a clear wipe-on walk-away sealant? Sealants bond to a clean freshly prepared finish adding both superior gloss and protection...

Just to name a few that I've used.

Wolfgang Deep Gloss Liquid Seal

GTechniq C2v3 Liquid Crystal
    Reload Spray Sealant
    Optimum Opti-Seal
    Blackfire Crystal Seal

Here's an example of using a cleaner, clear sealant, and Wolfgang's Fuzion Wax..

BobbyG - 2004 Millennium Yellow Z06 Corvette

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast