autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mike Phillips

How to use Nanoskin Wash Mitts and Towels for Seriously Neglected Paint!

How to use Nanoskin Wash Mitts and Towels for Seriously Neglected Paint!

In my detailing classes I show a lot of ways to decontaminate paint. One brand I like to show for REALLY BAD paint are the Nanoskin Wash Mitts and Nanosking Towels.

We use the wash mitts like towels in that they have the same polymerized surface the towel has only they also offer a sleeve to insert you hand and a microfiber side for when you're using the mitt to wash a car. That said, the rubber side works great when used like a towel.

One of the training cars for this class was a 1939 Chevy 5-window Coupe. I don't know the story behind the car but I do know pad in bad shape when I see it and the paint on this car is in BAD shape!

We wiped the car down using a waterless wash and then after a quick demo and explanation on how to use these Nanoskin tools I turned the class loose on the old Couple

As you look through the pictures, also pay attention to how horribly dull and weathered the paint on this car looks.

How to use Nanoskin Wash Mitts and Towels

1. Spray a heavy application of clay of clay lube onto the surface and then rub the mitt or towel over the paint.

2. For light contaminants use light pressure for heavy contamination use firm pressure.

3. After decontaminating one section move onto a new section.

We even used them on the glass and on all the chrome and stainless steel trim.

Key point...

A glossy finish stars with a smooth foundation.

Of course, then my class went on to SAVE this paint job....

Here's the final resuls....

Post Thanks / Like

Re: How to use Nanoskin Wash Mitts and Towels for Seriously Neglected Paint!

Clay is dead to me since these type products had their debut.
    My name is Jim and I am an Old Auburn Tiger.

Post Thanks / Like

Definitely need to get me one of these. I've only ever clayed 2 cars, one being my truck and it took forever.

Post Thanks / Like

Nanoskin is my afvorite detailing product that has came out in years. I have not used clay bars since I got my first Nanoskin.

Post Thanks / Like

Glad you showed this. I just got one from AG on Thursday. Got the fine grade wash mitt.
    IGL Authorized Coating/Kenzo Installer

Final Inspection Auto Detailing- https://www.facebook.com/FinalInspection

Post Thanks / Like
    Mike - any tips or tricks using the wash mitt when utilizing in the soap and water phase of your wash?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Old Tiger View Post
    Clay is dead to me since these type products had their debut.
    This sums up my feelings perfectly. I'm kicking myself that I waited so long to make the switch to a Nanoskin mitt.
    Nicholas Scafidi - CQuartz Finest Authorized Installer
    www.autowerxdetailing.com Auto Detailing in Sherwood, OR
    Like us on Facebook | Follow us on Twitter

Post Thanks / Like

I never really used clay, because all the cars I worked on were painted the day before.

but now I use clay all the time. I have the the towel, mitt and pad and love them all.

Also:
    When is it a good idea to use the Medium grade clay alternative? Only if one is going to polish because it marrs the paint?

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by LaFawnduh View Post

Mike - any tips or tricks using the wash mitt when utilizing in the soap and water phase of your wash?

Great question and a topic I cover in my detailing boot camp class as we always wash a modern, daily driver vehicle to go over,

• Iron X
    • Foam Guns
    • Nanoskin Wash Mitts

Here's the way it's done....

Wash and rinse car first and rinse thoroughly. Don't use the rubber side of the wash mitt before washing and rinsing first. You MUST remove all dirt off the surface before using the rubber side of the wash mitt or you will rub the dirt into the paint and inflict swirls and scratches.

AFTER washing and rinsing the car, while the car is still wet, now use the rubber side of the Nanoskin wash mitt and your car wash solution to mechanically decontaminate the paint, glass, chrome etc.

I use the foam gun to foam the paint and then use the mitt but you can also use clean, soapy water.

Post Thanks / Like

I love my towel, probably one of the biggest time savers of all!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast