autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Mike Phillips

How to restore single stage paint - Advanced Detailing Class

How to restore single stage paint - Advanced Detailing Class

As a part of our Detailing Boot Camp Class this weekend we have the opportunity to restore a 1939 Chevy Streetrod with severely neglected single stage paint.

So this will be a class on how to restore single stage paint and I'm going to guess the first class of it's kind. I've never seen a class advertised anywhere on how to do this type specialized procedure nor any pictures from such a class.

Old single stage paint, especially on a car that's 75 years old is becoming more and more rare so opportunities like this are also very rare. Plus you need the owner's trust to provide the car.

How to do a Test Spot on Single Stage Paint
    Before the class starts this coming Saturday morning I need to test the paint just to make sure it can be saved and so I did a test spot on the trunk lid.

Process

Step 1: Wipe paint clean using Detailer's Waterless Car Wash - To remove loose dirt.

Step 2: Decontaminate paint using Detailer's Universal Clay Lube and Nanoskin Medium Grade Autoscrub pad on a Flex 3401. The paint is as rough as sandpaper.

Step 3: Rub paint down with #7 Show Car Glaze and allow to soak in the polishing oils over night.

Step 4: Remove #7 the next morning.

Step 5: Machine polish using Pinnacle Advanced Swirl Remover on a Hybrid Blue Light Foam Cutting pad on the Flex 3401.

Step 6: Machine polish using Pinnacle Advanced Finishing Polish on a Hybrid Black Finishing Foam pad on a Flex 3401.

Step 7: Hand apply Pinnacle Souveran Paste Wax.

Here are the results....

Here are the products used...

Same products used for Wayne Carini's 1953 Hudson.

Flex 3401 Machine Buffing Class

This will also be my Flex 3401 Forced Rotation, Forced Oscillation Dual Action Polisher Class. The people attending this class will be using the Flex 3401 for this curvy body style on this 1939 Chevy Coupe.

This car will be a real challenge and a great way to learn how to use the Flex 3401 with both 6.5" and 5" Hybrid Pads.

Our next Detailing Boot Camp Class will be held Saturday September 27th and Sunday September 28th.

The September class always fills up the fastest so clear your schedule and get signed-up.

2. Likes Farmallluvr liked this post
    Mike Phillips

Re: How to restore single stage paint - Advanced Detailing Class

Here's some before pictures I took of the rest of the car to document it's current condition.

Here's some pictures the owner took before bring his car to Autogeek...

Stay tuned for the after pictures....

Post Thanks / Like

I'm looking forward to it!

BobbyG - 2004 Millennium Yellow Z06 Corvette

Post Thanks / Like

Can't wait to see this one coming back to life,

Good luck all,

Enjoy!
    “Nature is pleased with simplicity. And nature is no dummy”

― Isaac Newton

Post Thanks / Like

Talking Re: How to restore single stage paint - Advanced Detailing Class

Lots of red stained pads!

Randy

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by BobbyG View Post

I'm looking forward to it!
    I promise we won't dissapoint.

Besides the fun of restoring a single stage paint job this will be a GREAT car for everyone to learn how to use the Flex 3401 on. I sent the link to this thread to the President of Flex Tools North America and gave me two thumbs up.

Quote Originally Posted by Tato View Post

Can't wait to see this one coming back to life,
    This might be the only 1939 Chevy Couple the people attending the class this weeked EVER get to work on as these cars are not only somewhat rare but most owners won't let others "touch" them.

Quote Originally Posted by ZimRandy View Post

Lots of red stained pads!

Randy
    Lucky for me, Nick likes cleaning pads after the class ends on Sunday...

Mike Phillips

Here's a few shots of the class that restored the paint on this car and some after shots...

This old streetrod, a 1939 has been neglected for years, maybe decades. The paint truly looked like it was in category #12 of the list of "Paint Condition Categories" in my how-to book.

Category #12 is Past the Point of No Return.

We used the Flex 3401 Forced Rotation, Forced Oscillation with Lake Country Hybrid Foam Cutting and Finishing pads with Pinnacle Advanced Swirl Remover and Advanced Finishing Polish and then sealed the paint by machine using Dodo Juice
    Hard Candy Carnauba Wax.

To mechanically decontaminate we used Nanoskin Autoscrub Towels and Wash Mitts with Detailer's Universal Clay Lube as this car felt like rough sandpaper to the touch.

Mike Phillips

Blast from the past....

Found this early write-up for a detailing class taught here at Autogeek back in 05-01-2014

This was a text book example of an

EXTREME MAKEOVER!

Cool stuff. Wonder where all these people are now in their detailing life?