autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

The Art of Detailing Book Review

The Art of Detailing Book Review

I want to start by thanking Mike! This book is amazing. It answered a lot of question I had and was refraining from asking all of them on the forum, lol. So for those of you that are looking for a accessible take with you where ever you go handbook, get this book. While your reading it you can tell how much time and effort Mike put into this book and it is an easy read. I should be finished with this book by end of day today and I will be following up with The Complete Guide to a Show Car Shine.

Again if your starting out in detailing whether its for starting a part-time, going full-time, or just a DIY kind of person. Read this book! For the price of the book you CANNOT go wrong!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: The Art of Detailing Book Review

and get signed by the man himself!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Glad to hear you liked the book. Everyone always has room to learn, no one is perfect and I know Mike himself strives to learn something everyday. As everyone should.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EVOlved View Post
    Glad to hear you liked the book. Everyone always has room to learn, no one is perfect and I know Mike himself strives to learn something everyday. As everyone should.
    yes the book is amazing, i can't stop reading it.. i wanted to finish it today but I'm exhausted... (I'm a slow reader..lol )

Mike Phillips

Thank you for the nice words and review.

I remember when I got the car detailing bug I bought every how-to book on the topic of car painting and car detailing that I could find and I'm sad to say that I don't remember ever learning anything that helped me to detail better or smarter.

I always remember my roots and that was when I was looking for good information, quality information I couldn't find any.

Someday I'm going to write the story about how I became involved in the car industry and it mostly started with this car that I just shared in this thread,

Demo Cars for May 2014 Detailing Boot Camp Class

This was my second car in High School, the first was a hot rod Model T. My passion for polishing paint and my pursuit of the right products, tools, techniques and most important knowledge or information all started with polishing the paint on this 1948 Plymouth Coupe that my Dad and I literllay tied a rope to the bumper and dragged out of a barn in Oregon.

Of course when we pulled it out of the barn it was a dark, root beer brown and had about 20 paint jobs under the brown from being repainted over the years. Probably ever color under the rainbow. I know because I used Aircraft quality paint stripper to strip the car body panels down to bare metal and then had a custom painter paint it 1976 Ford Truck Bright Red.

Anyway, when I wrote the first and second edition of my current how-to book I remembered how none of the other books or magazine articles ever helped me to understand what to do and why to do it when polishing a car.

So I did my best to make my book helpful. Simple as that might sound, that's what a person needs when they don't know what to do and don't want to make a mistake... a little friendly help.

Especially when you consider how thin paint is on modern cars. And to share this vital aspect, that's why you'll find the first chapter even explains this thin paint factor on page 7 of the first edition and page 5 of the second edition. (paperback versions but the e-book and iBook should be the same)

Again, thank you for the book review. I get a lot of PM's, phone calls and have personal conversations with people that tell me they've bought and read my how-to book and it's helped them with their car detailing projects and I love this kind of feedback as it's more rewarding than a paycheck but it always means more when it's shared with others who may be thinking about buying the book but are unsure if it will really help them.

So a public comment like yours is very appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like

Mikes book should be in the required list of anyone who has the passion for automotive detailing. Mike illustrates the correct way to perform a specific task and does so in an easy to understand format.

Like many, I bought his book and between those covers is a wealth of knowledge for the beginner to the professional. I found it so useful that I also purchased the electronic PDF version to have on my computer.

Note: The PDF version has a ton of hyperlinks that take you directly to a particular page or product making it easier to navigate and understand...

Simply Outstanding!!

BobbyG - 2004 Millennium Yellow Z06 Corvette

Post Thanks / Like

Good morning all I am determined! i have to finish the book by the afternoon... i literally fell asleep at my dinning table.. lol

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjv231 View Post
    Good morning all I am determined! i have to finish the book by the afternoon... i literally fell asleep at my dinning table.. lol
    Always wear seat-belts....

BobbyG - 2004 Millennium Yellow Z06 Corvette

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BobbyG View Post
    Always wear seat-belts....
    breakfast break!

Post Thanks / Like

WOW... i am done... i swear reading this book was like having mike in the room explaining everything... as i was reading i was envisioning mike explaining it all... next step... some practice...

Thank you Mike...