autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Mike Phillips

Demo Cars for May 2014 Detailing Boot Camp Class

Demo Cars for May 2014 Detailing Boot Camp Class

I always try to have really cool cars at our classes for the students to work on and boy do I have some special cars for this weekends Detailing Boot Camp Class.

The cars will start arriving tomorrow and I'll start adding pictures.

Stay tuned...

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Demo Cars for May 2014 Detailing Boot Camp Class

How do you go about picking cars for Boot Camp?
    "I have been doing so much with so little for so long, I can do almost anything with nothing".

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rayhyar View Post
    Ray there is a line around the corner to get their car in for this .Mike is specific to what he wants to teach his students, so not everyone gets in.Mike is a classic car guy so he probably has at least one.
    "Chrome wheeled, fuel injected and steppin' out over the line"

Post Thanks / Like

i get into town Friday afternoon, i am ready for this boot camp.

Mike Phillips

I try to get a good mix because the most important thing to me is that the people attending this class get the best all around education possible and this means working on a variety of cars with different problems and thus using a variety of tool and products to solve the problems.

I normally choose LARGE vehicles so there's plenty of real estate for plenty of hand-son time for the class.

I always have a modern daily driver because that's what most people are going to work on. In this case I have a Dodge Ram Truck filled with holograms throughout the entire finish.

I try to have one or two convertibles or more specifically a car with a canvas top and a car with a vinyl top to teach both canvas and vinyl detailing.

I try to get a very neglected white car to show the purpose of Iron X for decontaminating paint. Any color car will work but the human eye can more easily see the Iron X at work on white paint.

Besides the above, I then try to choose what I would consider cool cars, cars that in most cases, most people would normally never have a chance to work on in the real world.

For example, at my last class I had an award winning, all original 1956 Chevy Nomad here that was completely swirled out and I used this car to teach people how to use the Porter Cable type of dual action polisher to remove swirls and create a show car finish. And this car also fits the criteria of both COOL and LARGE.

1956 Chevy Bel Air Nomad - January Detailing Boot Camp Class Car

As far as I know, the class I teach here is the ONLY place where people get to "touch" cars like you see above.

Wait till tomorrow, the first car arrives around 9:00am and it's a very rare opportunity plus a cool car and a large car.

Mike Phillips

The first car has arrived and I think the pictures will document my class is going to be pushed to the limits to take this diamond in the rough and turn it into a glistening gemstone....

This makes taking a class at Autogeek unique....

1939 Chevy Coupe Trashed and Thrashed!

She doesn't look to bad from far away...

Note our classroom is all set-up and ready for the May Detailing Boot Camp Class which starts this Saturday morning at 8:00am sharp!

Let's get a little closer....

Ugh... now that's not what I would call pretty....

From 10 feet away...

A little bit closer....

Ouch! That just plain hurts to look at on a car like this....

How about the rest of the car?

This will challenge my class and if they can fix this they can fix anything....

This is the kind of car you would see being hotrodded at the Gas Monkey Garage on "Fast & Loud" with Richard Rawlings and Aaron Kaufman. Chances are pretty slim you'll get a chance to work on a 1939 Chevy Coupe at the Gas Monkey Garage but you get to work on Gas Monkey Garage type cars at Autogeek.

Post Thanks / Like

I will be waiting for the results. That is one of my favorite cars.
    "I have been doing so much with so little for so long, I can do almost anything with nothing".

Mike Phillips

I will be waiting for the results.

That is one of my favorite cars.

I'm actually a fan of just about any 2-door Coupe from 1937 to 1942. I owned a 1948 Plymouth 2-door Coupe and really liked it but the pre-war body styles are just leaner and more of the "coupe" body style I like. Sad to say I don't have any really great pictures of my 1948 Plymouth Coupe as I had it back in High School and that was before digital cameras made it easy to take LOTS of pictures.

Here's a shot...

I was the only guy in my high school to have what you would call an old car or hotrod. This car is the root cause or reason as to why I have the job I have today.

I'll be posting pictures of the other cars that will be in this Detailing Boot Camp class and get ready to be blown away!

Mike Phillips

At all my detailing classes I have a mix of modern cars and special interest cars, the special interest cars a typically a lot more fun and rewarding to work on but it's important for the class to learn the special needs modern cars require when detailing.

For my modern vehicle, we have a completely swirled out, dark blue Dodge Ram Truck. This is a huge truck so plenty of hands on time for everyone attending.

Swirled-out Dodge Ram Truck

Kind of hurts your eyes to look at the paint in the sun so the class will use this truck to learn how to remove holograms.

Mike Phillips

Here's a classic that's near perfect except the paint needs to be de-swirled and then give a finish worthy of this rolling piece of art....

1958 Impala Convertible

I'll capture the true condition of the paint on this car when it arrives on Friday and it's outside in the sun. These pictures were taken around 6:00pm at night under a cloudy sky.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast