autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Scratches

Post Thanks / Like

Scratches

After washing all of the road salt off I have just discovered an entire 6" row of horizontal scratches running almost 12 inches across the side of my dark blue 2012 Charger. It looks almost like a cart was run across it. Some of it is down to the white (primer) I know their is no way to buff that out its either a repaint or cover it up with a filler wax or is wet sanding an option and how do you do something like that ?

I have Blackfire DUO SRC Compound and SRC Polish.

My plan is to buffer as much out as I can
    After I have buffered out whatever I can could I use this Poorboy's Natty’s Paste Wax BLUE: The Poorboy’s Carnauba Paste Wax Formulated for Dark Paints! Just like Natty's wax but Blue! poorboys paste wax, to cover in any areas not covered or would I use the Blackfire Carnuba next and use the Natty's last ?

What order would I go in and would this work to fill in these scuffs/ scrapes?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Scratches

Quote Originally Posted by thebouncer View Post
    After washing all of the road salt off I have just discovered an entire 6" row of horizontal scratches running almost 12 inches across the side of my dark blue 2012 Charger. It looks almost like a cart was run across it. Some of it is down to the white (primer) I know their is no way to buff that out its either a repaint or cover it up with a filler wax or is wet sanding an option and how do you do something like that ?

I have Blackfire DUO SRC Compound and SRC Polish.

My plan is to buffer as much out as I can
    After I have buffered out whatever I can could I use this Poorboy's Natty’s Paste Wax BLUE: The Poorboy’s Carnauba Paste Wax Formulated for Dark Paints! Just like Natty's wax but Blue! poorboys paste wax, to cover in any areas not covered or would I use the Blackfire Carnuba next and use the Natty's last ?

What order would I go in and would this work to fill in these scuffs/ scrapes?

If was me I would get some touch up paint both body color, and clear, and touch up the area then once its dry I would make sure it leveled with the rest of the paint if not sand it down with 3000 grit sandpaper, and then polish it the put a protectant on it

Post Thanks / Like
    You would probably get better results applying PB black hole glaze after buffing the scratches. Then follow up with a dark wax.
    Touch up is obviously an option depending on how wide the scratches are. If you have the time and patience then try your hand at it. You can always wetsand, buff, glaze, then wax, and if your not satisfied try touch up paint later. Do you have any pics?
    Shaun Shines Automotive Detailing, VIRGINIA BEACH, VA. http://www.facebook.com/ShaunShinesDetailing

Post Thanks / Like

Post pics. If its down to the primer and 12 inches long and there are multiple deep scratches like that, get it repainted. It should cost about $700 for two doors.
    Brian Dubinsky
    ELITE: Luxury Detailing + Paint Protection
    Maryland - Northern VA - DC

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

I'd just claim insurance. I had a vandalism once. With a police report insurance waived the deductible.

Post Thanks / Like

I tried to get some pics of it but it is difficult because of the BlackFire wax causing everything to be so reflective.

hopefully these are good enough to show at least part of what I am seeing
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Scratches-dscn1418-jpg   Scratches-dscn1419-jpg   Scratches-dscn1420-jpg   Scratches-dscn1421-jpg  

Post Thanks / Like

wow that is incredible! Any tips on wet sanding I know I mentioned the term above but I really do not know how or what it entails. The equipment I have is a PC 7424XP and some LC Tangerine, Cyan, and Crimson Pads.

I also have BlackFire Duo

What else would I need ? and how do I do it ? I am deathly afraid of ruining my finish

I also do have hairline/ spider marks all throughout my clearcoat and I don't know how it happened. I tried buffing it out last year but I must have done something wrong as it did not buff out much.

Post Thanks / Like
    From the pics those scratches don't look like they went down to the primer. Can you put a finger nail into any of them?
    When using the PC to attempt to remove the swirls/cobweb scratches were you applying about 15lbs of pressure? And how fast were you moving the polisher over the area? What size area were you working? What size pads are you using?
    Shaun Shines Automotive Detailing, VIRGINIA BEACH, VA. http://www.facebook.com/ShaunShinesDetailing

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ShaunD View Post
    From the pics those scratches don't look like they went down to the primer. Can you put a finger nail into any of them?
    When using the PC to attempt to remove the swirls/cobweb scratches were you applying about 15lbs of pressure? And how fast were you moving the polisher over the area? What size area were you working? What size pads are you using?

I haven't attempted to buff this out but last year using LC Tangerine, Cyan, and Crimson Pads 5 1/4" (I believe) I used 5 to 6k RPM and went over areas 4 - 6 times in a left to right then up down motion practically pushing the DA Polisher through the metal and it did little to remove the hairline/ spider lines throughout all of the clearcoat (think of what a car looks like in the sun when it goes through a touch car wash) this is the kind of swirling marks I am talking about.

needless to say I made little progress and I was using the Blackfire DUO to try to remove these imperfections.

So I have not yet tried to remove these marks yet they appear white like the primer and its not road salt or dirt. Its like it got scuffed by something (im guessing a cart), its not real deep but it feels like my finger nail goes into it a little.

I wanted to get good advice before I attempted to do anything at all.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast