autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Brand new to all of this

Hello my name is John, I recently leased a 2013 Infiniti G37x Black Obsidian.

I wanted to keep this is the best condition possible for years to come and was told everywhere that Autogeek had all of the answers. I was looking into the starter kits and wanted to get a good idea of what my best option would be to get started. I narrowed it down to the following 3 (but all recommendations welcome). Any advice or help would be great. I cant wait for the weather to break to really give my car the cleaning it deserves.

Wolfgang Fuzion Estate Wax Mini Connoisseur's Kit, Wolfgang Mini Wax Kit, Fuzion Wax Sample Kit

Souveran Sizzling Shine Kit, pinnacle car wax kit, pinnacle wax kit

Klasse All-In-One, Klasse High Gloss Sealant Glaze, Pinnacle Souveran, Pinnacle Crystal Mist Spray Wax come together to create a forum favorite kit.

Thanks and all advice is welcome!!!

John

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Brand new to all of this

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome!

A big question I'd have is what your expectations are on durability? Do you live somewhere with a harsh climate? How often are you do you want to work on your car?

Of the kits you show, the durability of the Klasse products will be much better than any of the Carnauba products on their own. When using the Klasse twins I only have to do my vehicles twice a year. The waxes on those kits probably look great, but may not last very long. I've hear they are great toppers though for any sealant.

You'll also need to include a claybar or equivalent product to ensure your paint is really clean before hiting it with any product.

Do you need to do any correction to the paint? Was the dealer or Infiniti factory kind enough to install swirls in the paint before purchase? The only way your car will look as good as you probably expect is to deal with those swirls. You can polish them out or hide them with a glaze. My vote would be to polish them out.

While the kits are good and provide some savings, I often think they paint a customer into a corner because they don't ever seem to quite have everything I need. I'm a big fan of catching a sale here and then going ala carte.

The main things you should be looking for to use on your new baby:
    - Car shampoo
    - Clay or clay equivalent
    - Polish
    - Sealant/wax/coating
    - Exterior rubber/plastic trim protectant
    - Stuff to apply all the above
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome to autogeek

Post Thanks / Like

If it were me, I wouldn't use Klasse stuff. You've come here, try something more boutique. Also, don't forget clay, claying will be the most important step if you plan not to polish.
    Back to the full-time grind.

Post Thanks / Like

IMO claying is way at the top............. and may the detailing gods be with you in keeping your black car looking good.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Chonch1224 View Post

Hello my name is John, I recently leased a 2013 Infiniti G37x Black Obsidian.

I wanted to keep this is the best condition possible for years to come and was told everywhere that Autogeek had all of the answers.

Hi John,

The key to keeping any car's finish looking new and especially a black finish is to be very careful with any way in which the car's finish is touched.

Touched can mean washing, drying, wiping and any other process done to the car like claying or applying a paint cleaner, cleaner/wax, finishing wax or any polishing work.

How good a finish looks and how long a good looking finish remains looking good comes down to how it's touched.

A few articles to get you started.... read this one first and follow the steps which include inspecting the paint both with your sense of touch and visually to find out what if anything is wrong with the pant and IF something doesn't pass these two test the rest of the article walks you through what to do.

How To Detail Your Brand New Car by Mike Phillips

Then, after you get you car exactly how you want it to look, NEVER let anyone else wash it except for you. OR hire a qualified detailer, like a detailer that hangs out on this forum, and hire them to wash/maintain the car for you.

Click this link and DEFINITELY follow the recommendations....

DON'T WASH CAR !!!!!!!!!!!

Here's another good one....

"Black is not a color, it's a full time job"

And another....

Clearcoats are Scratch-Sensitive

Then get yourself a simple dual action polisher like the Porter Cable 7424XP, some 5.5" foam pads and a 5" backing plate, some quality polishes and waxes, (don't skimp on polishes), and learn to wash and dry your car carefully.

Mike Phillips

If it were mine, I'd wash it and inspect it and if the paint feels clean and smooth and it passes the baggie test.

And if the paint is relatively swirl free.

Then I would coat it like I did this Corvette that passed the baggie test and was swirl and scratch free.

How to detail a 2014 Corvette Stingray

Prep paint for coating
    Here you can see the residue covering the car everywhere the Surface Cleansing Lotion was applied by machine. For a few of the tight ares like the fresh air intake louvers on the hood, around the tail lights in the back and the vent areas on the sides of the car.

Coated...

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to Autogeek !!!!

Here my friend you will find all the info and knowledge you need to know on how to properly care for your car. Between all the friendly advise from All the members to the expert advice of Mike Phillips, you will be able to dive deep into this great hobby, that can easily become an obsession.

Mike's book is great way to acquire the knowledge on products, tools and techniques for what you want to achieve.

Simply put though these are the steps that you want to focus on for dramatically improving the look of your ride.

Proper Wash
    Decontamination
    Polishing
    Protection

Start educating your self based on these 4 steps.... I'm sure you will enjoy the results but you will also Enjoy the journey...

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for all of the help and information everyone! I really appreciate it, like I said it is brand new because it was a Lease so Im hoping (guessing) that The paint should be in great condition from the start, only problem is this crazy winter in PA.

I will post some pics of before and after once I do my research and the weather breaks so I can actually go get it cleaned properly.

Thanks again!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast