autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Reviews: "The Complete Guide to A Show Car Shine"

Reviews: "The Complete Guide to A Show Car Shine"

I just finished reading the paperback book "The Complete Guide to A Show Car Shine" by Mike Phillips. There is also an audio book version and an E book. You can also get the book autographed by Mike Phillips.

Here's a link to it on Autogeek.com
    Mike Phillips’ The Complete Guide to a Show Car Shine Paperback Book

Here is the description from the web site:

Mike Phillips is a world-renowned expert in the field of auto detailing, both as a professional detailer and instructor. Mike has over 36 years of real-world, hands-on experience with just about every detailing tool and product available. With Mike’s latest book, The Complete Guide to a Show Car Shine, you can tap into his vast knowledge and expertise to learn how to create a flawless, show-car quality finish in your own garage.
    Mike Phillips’ The Complete Guide to a Show Car Shine builds upon the information in Mike Phillips’ first book, The Art of Detailing, but also includes such topics as rotary polishers and clay bar alternatives like the Nanoskin Autoscrub System and Optimum’s Opti-Erasers. What’s more, The Complete Guide to a Show Car Shine features what is arguably the definitive guide to the Flex XC3401 VRG Dual Action Orbital Polisher.
    The Complete Guide to a Show Car Shine covers such topics as:

• Washing Your Car
    • Visual & Physical Inspection
    • Paint Condition Categories
    • Detailing Clay & Clay Bar Alternatives
    • Car Waxes – Paint Sealants – Coatings
    • Maintenance – Maintaining a Perfect Finish
    • Flex XC3401 VRG Dual Action Orbital Polisher
    • Dual Action Car Polishers
    • Cyclo Polishers
    • Rotary Polishers, including the Flex PE14-2-150 and DeWalt DWP-849X

…and a whole lot more!
    The Complete Guide to a Show Car Shine is the next best thing to attending one of Mike Phillips’ detailing classes at our headquarters in Stuart, Florida. Mike Phillips has long specialized in descriptive, educational writing that accurately portrays his years of hands-on detailing experience and his latest book is no different. The Complete Guide to a Show Car Shine contains the information needed to create a flawless, show-car finish in an easy-to-read format that people of all ages and skill levels can benefit from.
    If you have a passion for perfect paint or simply want to expand your knowledge of car care and detailing, pick up a copy of Mike Phillips’ The Complete Guide to a Show Car Shine and transform your ride.

• 150 pages
    • Full color images
    • Step-by-step instructions
    • Glossary of detailing terms

My thoughts:
    I loved this book. It was a great read and actually it was a hard book to walk away from (which considering my attention span says a lot). Sometimes "How to" books are boring, this book was the opposite it was entertaining and very engaging. The amount of information in this book is amazing and it has a ton of pictures. This book gives anyone a great foundation of knowledge to draw from whether you are a beginner or a pro.

Knowledge is the best tool in a persons tool box and anytime you can add to that tool box its a good idea, and this book adds a lot of tools.

I don't know Mike Phillips but I came away with a couple of impressions of him:

1. Detailing and training is not just a job it's a passion. That is made evident as you read the book. You can't fake real enthusiasm.

2. Not only is he a gifted detailer he is a gifted teacher. Do you realize how hard it is to teach someone how to do this in a book?

3. He must be quite a good photographer, because some of the pictures taken in this book had to have been pretty tricky to get.

The bottom line:
    I highly recommend this book in any of its forms. If you are into detailing it is an absolute gem. This book should be everyone's first purchase at Autogeek. There is so much info packed in this book you will have to read it more that a few times to absorb it all. I drive a lot and I am planning to get the audio book to listen to while I travel to help my retention.

My book is already christened some blackfire clay cleaner and extender got on it during shipping right above where Mike signed it.

Now I just have to start saving my pennies to get some training from Mike in person.

Post Thanks / Like
    I bought a copy of the ebook version ( I guess technically the ibook) and wasn't really expecting much.

I thought that most had to be taught hands on but with the number of pictures and some videos mike taught the topics and techniques very well.

I don't think I have ever read a book so fast lol.

Overall, I feel I had a decent understanding of detailing before I read the book and afterwards I feel I have a much better grasp of not only what to do but why you are doing it.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Reviews: "The Complete Guide to A Show Car Shine"

Great initiative to review this book. I've received mine yesterday as an addition to my 3401 polisher. Unfortunately I only had time to scroll through some pages, but I can't wait to open it to read from the start to end as soon as I can.

Like hbrett29 said, (do not misunderstood US, please), I don't know why I thought it'll not be all that much compared to more than 42k+ posts Mike posted here...

Man, I was wrong. The book is gorgeous and have incredible pictures, fully detailed.

Although having 42k+ posts to read here, the book is no doubt a great addition, also a great guide through and manual for quick reference.

Thanks for reviewing, I've liked it that much too!

Extremely recommended for any level from beginner to professionals.

+1 saving money for training, but my trip will be longer... Hope to arrange things and fly to US soon. Wait for me, AG!

...'I'll be there'.

Kind Regards.
    “Nature is pleased with simplicity. And nature is no dummy”

― Isaac Newton

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by wlshephard View Post

I loved this book. It was a great read and actually it was a hard book to walk away from (which considering my attention span says a lot). Sometimes "How to" books are boring, this book was the opposite it was entertaining and very engaging. The amount of information in this book is amazing and it has a ton of pictures. This book gives anyone a great foundation of knowledge to draw from whether you are a beginner or a pro.

Knowledge is the best tool in a persons tool box and anytime you can add to that tool box its a good idea, and this book adds a lot of tools.

I don't know Mike Phillips but I came away with a couple of impressions of him:

1. Detailing and training is not just a job it's a passion. That is made evident as you read the book. You can't fake real enthusiasm.

2. Not only is he a gifted detailer he is a gifted teacher. Do you realize how hard it is to teach someone how to do this in a book?

3. He must be quite a good photographer, because some of the pictures taken in this book had to have been pretty tricky to get.

Wow! Thank you for the kind words. I really worked hard to write a really good how-to book and I appreciate that you not only like the book but took the time to share this on the forum.

I get PM's all the time from people that have bought and read the book and while I love getting these types of private messages, I appreciate it when instead of sending me their thoughts, instead they share their opinion and experience on the forum where others can see it.

It means more coming from someone else when they say a product is good versus me, the guy that wrote it to say it's good. People expect me to say it's good, that's marketing, even if I am sincere.

Quote Originally Posted by wlshephard View Post

The bottom line:

I highly recommend this book in any of its forms. If you are into detailing it is an absolute gem. This book should be everyone's first purchase at Autogeek. There is so much info packed in this book you will have to read it more that a few times to absorb it all. I drive a lot and I am planning to get the audio book to listen to while I travel to help my retention.

My book is already christened some Blackfire clay cleaner and extender got on it during shipping right above where Mike signed it.

Now I just have to start saving my pennies to get some training from Mike in person.

Thank you William.

I really appreciate your taking the time to share your opinion on our forum.

I work really hard on this forum to help others be successful and it's posts like this that really make my job rewarding.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by hbrett29 View Post

I bought a copy of the ebook version ( I guess technically the ibook) and wasn't really expecting much.

I thought that most had to be taught hands on but with the number of pictures and some videos mike taught the topics and techniques very well.

Overall, I feel I had a decent understanding of detailing before I read the book and afterwards I feel I have a much better grasp of not only what to do but why you are doing it.

Thank you very much for chiming in with your thoughts and experience from reading my how-to book.

I appreciate your sharing the above in William's review.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hbrett29 View Post

Thanks for chiming in. I am glad you enjoyed the book too.

Quote Originally Posted by Tato View Post
    Great initiative to review this book. I've received mine yesterday as an addition to my 3401 polisher. Unfortunately I only had time to scroll through some pages, but I can't wait to open it to read from the start to end as soon as I can.

Like hbrett29 said, (do not misunderstood US, please), I don't know why I thought it'll not be all that much compared to more than 42k+ posts Mike posted here...

Man, I was wrong. The book is gorgeous and have incredible pictures, fully detailed.

Although having 42k+ posts to read here, the book is no doubt a great addition, also a great guide through and manual for quick reference.

Thanks for reviewing, I've liked it that much too!

Extremely recommended for any level from beginner to professionals.

+1 saving money for training, but my trip will be longer... Hope to arrange things and fly to US soon. Wait for me, AG!

...'I'll be there'.

Kind Regards.
    Thanks for the reply. I kept putting the purchase of the book off because I wanted to use the money on products. Now I know I should have bought the book first so I would have known exactly what the products do and how to use them before I even get in front of a car.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Phillips@Autogeek View Post
    Wow! Thank you for the kind words. I really worked hard to write a really good how-to book and I appreciate that you not only like the book but took the time to share this on the forum.

I get PM's all the time from people that have bought and read the book and while I love getting these types of private messages, I appreciate it when instead of sending me their thoughts, instead they share their opinion and experience on the forum where others can see it.

It means more coming from someone else when they say a product is good versus me, the guy that wrote it to say it's good. People expect me to say it's good, that's marketing, even if I am sincere.

Thank you William.

I really appreciate your taking the time to share your opinion on our forum.

I work really hard on this forum to help others be successful and it's posts like this that really make my job rewarding.

I am glad you liked the review. Thanks for the book and all the great info on the forum. You bring a passion to detailing that is contagious.

Post Thanks / Like
    I got the book last year when it was first released. I still refer to it often. I remember getting it and reading it cover to cover. I don't finish books very quickly.
    I soon was able to put the knowledge to work and buffed out a few cars. I am by no means a professional but I enjoy detailing my cars and those of my extended family members.
    The book helped me understand more about detailing and one day I will make the trip for a class and detailfest.

If you want to learn some new techniques or make sure you are doing it right consult Mikes book you won't be disappointed.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Skoob View Post
    I got the book last year when it was first released. I still refer to it often. I remember getting it and reading it cover to cover. I don't finish books very quickly.
    I soon was able to put the knowledge to work and buffed out a few cars. I am by no means a professional but I enjoy detailing my cars and those of my extended family members.
    The book helped me understand more about detailing and one day I will make the trip for a class and detailfest.

If you want to learn some new techniques or make sure you are doing it right consult Mikes book you won't be disappointed.
    Thats good to hear. Thanks for sharing your experiance with the book.

Super Member CarolinasFinestDetailing's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I get my copy this week my my recent order. I took advantage of the 20% off code. Cant wait to read it!!!!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast