autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mike Phillips

The Flex PE14 Rotary Polisher - The rotary I grab first...

The Flex PE14 Rotary Polisher - The rotary I grab first...

Lots of talk about rotary buffers or as Flex calls them, rotary polishers. (Because they build them to polish paint).

Most rotary buffers are multi-use tools, they are made to grind and cut steel, grind and cut concrete and also polish paint.

In the same way they built the Flex 3401 specifically to polish paint, (think about it... what else could you use it for?), Flex designed their Flex PE14 specifically to polish paint, thus they call it a Rotary Polisher.

Tonight I have about a dozen guys coming to Autogeek to helm me compound the basecoat/clearcoat finish on a 1959 Impala. The paint on this Impala looks like someone scrubbed it with an SOS pad. That is the paint looks absolutely horrible.

We're going to take this diamond in the rough and turn it into a glistening gemstone and the process will start by using the Flex PE14 Rotary Polisher with wool pads and the Mothers Rubbing Compound.

I just took this photo out in the garage, I have 6 Flex PE14s locked and loaded and ready to go including my personal Flex PE14, the #0002 Production Unit given to me by Flex Power Tools. (A real honor).

From this angle, you can see that while the paint is shiny at the same time its dull and hazy from all the swirls. We're going to fix this...

Post Thanks / Like

Re: The Flex PE14 Rotary Polisher - The rotary I grab first...

Nice collection of polishers there Mike.

I bet the guys will be stoked to put them through there paces.

Will be following along.

Post Thanks / Like

I love my Flex PE14!!!

Quote Originally Posted by CieraSL View Post
    Wait! I know! Mirror, mirror against the grass, tell me who has kicked swirls' ass?
    http://Raskysautodetailing.com/

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by RaskyR1 View Post

I love my Flex PE14!!!

I need to start wearing black nitrile gloves more often, to me it gives the perception of uber careful or professional...

Now that takes a steady hand, concentration and it certainly doesn't hurt to have a lightweight, compact rotary polisher. Nice picture Chad...

Quote Originally Posted by RaskyR1 View Post

Post Thanks / Like

How I wish I could be part of this class, wonderful ambience for this that will be a very interesting work.

I've also liked your pictures Chad, and your signature 'kicks swirls'!

Good luck to everyone joining, enjoy, a lot, for me too!

Kind Regards.
    “Nature is pleased with simplicity. And nature is no dummy”

― Isaac Newton

Post Thanks / Like

Wow I'd really like to head down for this one . Just bought one of these and tried it just for basic jeweling at 600 rpm with CarPro reflect and a LC gold pad and STILL managed to induce what appeared to me to be something like holograms.

Frustrating, since I know it has to be my technique (not a knock on the polisher at all - it's a really nice tool) and this would be a great way to learn some more..

Post Thanks / Like

Per our conversation today, you've got me thinking Mike.
    Auto Detailing Atlanta | Modesta coatings | Paint Protection Film Atlanta
    http://www.detaileddesignsautospa.com
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Detai...a/152665034558

Post Thanks / Like

Will you be selling any of these units as Demo's after the class? If so let me know. I may be interested

Hook a brother up !!!

Post Thanks / Like

I'm going to have to save my money for one of these so my neighbors won't have a reason to complain about the noise.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by rms64 View Post

Wow I'd really like to head down for this one .

This was an epic transformation to this car and I think everyone had a chance to buff out at least some portion of either it or the 1965 Ford we also buffed out that night using the Flex PE14.

Pictures: 1959 Impala - Mothers Extreme Makeover!

Just bought one of these and tried it just for basic jeweling at 600 rpm with CarPro reflect and a LC gold pad and STILL managed to induce what appeared to me to be something like holograms.
    I've read a lot of good things about CarPro Reflect but to be honest I have not tired it yet. I'm planning on testing it on black paint so I the skill and knowledge level of those that have used it and say it's good.

Frustrating, since I know it has to be my technique (not a knock on the polisher at all - it's a really nice tool) and this would be a great way to learn some more..
    The benchmark for jewelling is Menzerna SF4500 and I'd throw Sonax Nano Polish in there too as well as Rupes White Diamond Ultra Fine Polish and Optimum Finish. Get any one of these and try again.

Quote Originally Posted by Jean-Claude View Post

Per our conversation today, you've got me thinking Mike.
    I wouldn't steer you wrong. The Flex PE14 is the first rotary buffer I reach for when I go to buff something out for all kinds of reasons.

Last Thursday night, I had 7 Flex PE14 Rotary Buffers out and being used including my personal #0002 unit. While everyone was buffing on the Impala I wanted to get started on the 1965 Ford Truck as we had to get both rigs done in one night.

Since all the Flex PE14's were in use, I didn't have one to use so I grabbed the DeWALT 849X and starting chopping off oxidation on the Ford. The DeWALT got so hot it damn near would burn your hand if you tried to touch or hold the body, (center section), of the tool. You could only hold it at the head and the handle.

I was going to check the temperature and take a picture but didn't. I will next time. Just throwing that out there because once in a while someone will post about how the Flex PE14 gets hot AND IT DOES but so do all other rotary buffers when you're doing hard buffing and that's what I was doing.

The difference between the Flex PE14 and all the rest is if it gets TOO hot it shuts itself down so no harm takes place. The rest just keep operating, or keep harming however you want to think of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post

Will you be selling any of these units as Demo's after the class? If so let me know. I may be interested
    Good idea except we're always churning out more projects here on this forum PLUS I use these in my detailing boot camp classes as well as our boat detailing classes.

Quote Originally Posted by jhodges View Post

I'm going to have to save my money for one of these so my neighbors won't have a reason to complain about the noise.

You'll never look back. It's really nice to use the Flex PE14 with Velocity Channel playing in the background and you can actually hear it. Or once in a while I bring out my Bose Docking Station and play some tunes off the iPhone.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast