autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Mike Phillips

1960 Chevy Stationwagon - Wagons are cool!

Yesterday, local car guy Craig stopped by to check out Autogeek. He's seen the finish on Tommy's 1970 Cuda and asked Tommy,

"How did you get your paint so perfect?"

Tommy just said...

"You need to go to Autogeek, they can show you everything you need to know to make the paint on your stationwagon look like the paint on my 440 Cuda"

I was moving streetrods around the garage getting set-up for Thursday night's project here,

I looked out into the parking lot and saw this very cool Chevy Stationwagon drive into Autogeek and just took a wild guess he was help and information. I met him by his car and started a discussion, that's when he told me how he's neighbors with Tommy and has seen Tommy's 1970 Cuda as well as Tommy's 1970 1/2 Split Bumper 468 BBC Camaro.

I invited him to our Thursday Night Class and he says he'll be here and if he is I'll show him first-hand how to de-swirl the paint on his Chevy Stationwagon and if he likes, he's welcome to return and we'll let our team of local guys attack it and finish in in hours here at Autogeek's Show Car Garage.

While he was here I took some pictures of his car to document the before condition.

Swirl City and this is after he applied a fresh coat of wax...

I think this is a 1950's Buick Grill out of something?

Horizontal Bat Wing Fins...

I think these gages are from Classic Instruments, the former owner of Classic Instruments Mike Stowe brought us his personal hotrod a 1936 Ford Roadster and we buffed it out here. Pictures are here

1936 Ford Roadster - Show Car Makeover

Late model small block Chevy...

This would be a cool car to add to the ongoing list of incredible cars that have come through our garage in the last 4.5 years...

Mike Phillips

Re: 1960 Chevy Stationwagon - Wagons are cool!

Because we have a lot of new members joining our forum daily as well as lurkers who are finding us via all our other media touch points, for those of you who don't know who Tommy is or what his 1970 440 Cuda or his 1970 1/2 Split Bumper Camaro look like, here you go....

1970 Barracuda Extreme Makeover

Before

After

Another First Place Trophy
    About a year later Tommy returned with the Cuda for a little touch-up in preparation for 26th Annual Mopars with Big Daddy Don Garlits at which he took a first place in his class and Don Garlits himself awarded him his trophy....

Here's Big Daddy Don Garlits doing what he does best...

Don Garlits and Tommy with his first place award!

Here's the write-up for the night we prepped Tommy's car for the big Mopar car show.

1970 440 Cuda - Part 2 - Show Car Prep

Note that Tommy only uses Pinnacle polishes and Souverän Paste Wax on all his cars...

Mike Phillips

And here's Tommy's old 2-door Chevy... it arrived at Autogeek filled with swirls and scratches....

1970 1/2 Camaro - Shine by Pinnacle - Modeled by Nicole

Note: Nicole is Tommy's daughter.

Here's how this Camaro looked before Autogeek....

1970 1/2 Camaro - Show Car Finish by Pinnacle - Modeled by Amy

Pig Tails
    If you look closely you can see a scratch that looks like the letter e in cursive writing running horizontally across the paint, this is called a Pig Tail and it generally comes from an abrasive particle that gets trapped between the paint and a sanding disc when machine sanding. The entire finish had Pig Tails plus Tracers randomly dispersed...

Micro-marring also called Tick Marks or DA Haze
    The millions of tiny, small scratches highlighted by the Brinkmann Swirl Finder Light are caused by improperly worked abrasives when using a DA Polisher like the Porter Cable 7424XP, Meguiar's G110v2, Griot's Garage 6" ROP or Shurhold DA Polisher. These types of scratches are through out the entire car but you can really only see them on the black stripes not the metallic green paint. The point is that even though your eyes can't see them on the lighter colors they still cloud and dull the finish and keep you from seeing the beautiful color and/or metallic finish under the clear. These have to go!

RIDS - Random, Isolated Deeper Scratches
    These types of scratches come from normal wear and tear and don't have any pattern to them thus the use of the word random in the description.

More information on RIDS here...
    RIDS - The Definition of RIDS and the story behind the term...

Swirls and Scratches
    What I see here is a combination of RIDS, swirls, DA Haze and Arc Scratches probably caused by wiping but they are also caused by improper use of a rotary buffer.

And now Tommy and Nicole both know how to take a diamond in the rough and turn it into a glistening gemstone...

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with you Mike! Wagons are very cool!

Hopefully he takes you guys up on a detail session. I would love to see that!

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by smack View Post
    I agree with you Mike! Wagons are very cool!

Hopefully he takes you guys up on a detail session. I would love to see that!

Hope he does too but at the same time we have a very full schedule for the month of February and then we roll into March getting ready for Detail Fest.

I owned a 1959 Pontiac Bonneville Safari Stationwagon for a short time, it was white like this one...

Here's what the front looked like...

Wanted to do something like this...

Post Thanks / Like

Love those wagons. Mike, I love the Pontiac.

I, also, think it is cool to include a pic of "Big Daddy". You would be surprised how many kids now days do not know who he is and Richard Petty.
    That’s the way race people are. If they think anybody’s got money, we’re all hookers.”
    - Kyle Petty

Post Thanks / Like

The 5-tooth grille was from a '54 Chevy:

Back in the "Kustom" days, guys would add extra "teeth" and use these grilles on just about anything:

Bill

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by bulldog shine View Post

Love those wagons. Mike, I love the Pontiac.
    Another one of the cars I've owned that I wish I would have kept...

Quote Originally Posted by bulldog shine View Post

I, also, think it is cool to include a pic of "Big Daddy".

You would be surprised how many kids now days do not know who he is and Richard Petty.

That's why I do it. These guys are legends and they paved the way for the next generation.

Plus... I think any of us would LOVE To win a first place trophy and a professionally judged show. And it would mean even more to have the man himself, Don Garlits award you the trophy.

That's not all the story either, I wish Tommy could share it as it gets even better....

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Phillips@Autogeek View Post
    Another one of the cars I've owned that I wish I would have kept...

That's why I do it. These guys are legends and they paved the way for the next generation.

Plus... I think any of us would LOVE To win a first place trophy and a professionally judged show. And it would mean even more to have the man himself, Don Garlits award you the trophy.

That's not all the story either, I wish Tommy could share it as it gets even better....

I would ove to get a trophy handed to me from Big Daddy.

Come on let's hear the story.

Concerning posting of the pics of legends, my daughters boyfriend did not know who King Richard was till I explained him to him. I have met alot of people from racing circles and the Petty family is just like your own family.
    That’s the way race people are. If they think anybody’s got money, we’re all hookers.”
    - Kyle Petty