autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

cordless power tools

I just finished 3 Land Rovers. Everything went well, except for all the extension cords I was tripping over and fighting to free them from tires. One for the polisher, vacuum, Three standing LED lights, brutal. They seem to wrap my legs like snakes. Mike or anybody, are there any cordless power tools out there that are worth while ? or Are any cordless tools coming soon ?

Mike Phillips

Re: cordless power tools

Nope and it ain't going to happen anytime soon.

This discussion came up in the Rupes Power Tool class taught by Todd Helm and his guest host Marco D'Inca so we had a real tool engineer on hand to field that question and the answer is a simple "no".

At this time...

The battery technology does not exist to maintain the high level of power required to fuel an electric tool as you bear down on it and work around a car, even a small car.

If all you want to do is machine apply a "finishing" wax or sealant, as in the paint needs zero correction or prep work, then a cordless polisher can work.

The Rupes require the least amount of downward firm pressure of any tools I've used and am familiar with and the engineer for even this tool said "no".

As an aside... someone joked about a nuclear powered tool and while that type of technology might be able to supply a constant feed of power it doesn't exist for power tools.

Good question...