autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Mike Phillips

Re: Mind Blowing - Rupes Blue Foam Cutting Pad and Zephir Gloss Coarse Gel Compound

Quote Originally Posted by HUMP DIESEL View Post

and just like what you have said, amazing results.

HUMP

Definitely something you have to do first hand to become a believer...

Mike Phillips

Re: Mind Blowing - Rupes Blue Foam Cutting Pad and Zephir Gloss Coarse Gel Compound

Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Phillips@Autogeek View Post

Can I get a witness?

Bueller?
    Bueller?
    Bueller?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Phillips@Autogeek View Post

Can I get a witness?

The Rupes blue coarse pad along with blue Zephir compound and Rupes polisher yields amazing results. I've seen it in action at the Thursday night makeovers and also on my own detail projects. Not to mention that it's also a very smooth experience.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by FrankS View Post

The Rupes blue coarse pad along with blue Zephir compound and Rupes polisher yields amazing results.

Thanks for the witness Frank!

Sometimes getting someone to make a "post" on this forum is like pulling teeth...

Quote Originally Posted by FrankS View Post

I've seen it in action at the Thursday night makeovers and also on my own detail projects.

Agree.

And here's a BRAND NEW detailing project where we cut the paint using the RUPES aggressive blue foam pad and the coarse Zephir Gloss Compound and after JUST this step the results were mind blowing.

Here's the link to the full write-up...

Custom Paint Job - 1980 Corvette - RUPES & Gyeon - Extreme Show Car Makeover at Autogeek

The pictures showing the results after just compounding are in post 17

This is after just compounding...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    Bueller?
    Bueller?
    Bueller?

Classic movie scene! Love that one.

I just had my first experience with the Blue/Blue combo on a Rupes 21 MKII. This was last Saturday, during some "testing" and general getting-to-know session. I received my Rupes last month, and this would be my second time working on a "test panel."

I first did some damp sanding with 2000 grit on the center of this hood, between the slight "bulges" of the hood.

I have to admit, I was a bit surprised by the rough texture and stiffness of the Blue pad. I was hoping for slightly better results, however, but I blame my lack of "seat time" with this combo. The panel had some haze left behind (which is also to be expected, as I just compounded 2k grit sanding!).

I followed up with UHS polish/pad (I wanted to see how this would work as well) then followed up with the Yellow/Yellow, and finally with the White/White combo.

I did like the System overall. I REALLY liked that I didn't have to prime the pad as per the usual.

Here are some pics of the finished result.

Check out the gloss within the gloss! You can see a decent reflection shot of my wife's Mineral Silver Kia Sportage on top of my own Yaris' hood.

And a zoomed out angle

Post Thanks / Like

What ever happened to Dr. Pain?
    "I've seen a good quality car wash look better than some guys complete detail jobs."
    Mike Phillips 10/21/09

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JustJesus View Post
    Classic movie scene! Love that one.

I just had my first experience with the Blue/Blue combo on a Rupes 21 MKII. This was last Saturday, during some "testing" and general getting-to-know session. I received my Rupes last month, and this would be my second time working on a "test panel."

I first did some damp sanding with 2000 grit on the center of this hood, between the slight "bulges" of the hood.

I have to admit, I was a bit surprised by the rough texture and stiffness of the Blue pad. I was hoping for slightly better results, however, but I blame my lack of "seat time" with this combo. The panel had some haze left behind (which is also to be expected, as I just compounded 2k grit sanding!).

I followed up with UHS polish/pad (I wanted to see how this would work as well) then followed up with the Yellow/Yellow, and finally with the White/White combo.

I did like the System overall. I REALLY liked that I didn't have to prime the pad as per the usual.

Here are some pics of the finished result.

Check out the gloss within the gloss! You can see a decent reflection shot of my wife's Mineral Silver Kia Sportage on top of my own Yaris' hood.

And a zoomed out angle

The first time I used the blue foam/Zephir Gel combo, I definitely needed more time to get used to it. My significant other was sitting in a lawn chairs just outside the garage - even she noticed how nice the combination worked. Then I grabbed a fresh pad, and had her inspect it. Like Mike said, she was blown away. "How does the car still have paint on it?" She asked!

The blue microfiber / Zephir is my usual "go to", and I sold all my blue foam pads in attempt to minimalist my inventory.

Obviously I acted in haste because I now need to replenish my blue foam stock.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by expdetailing View Post
    What ever happened to Dr. Pain?
    There are quite a few greats that we rarely see these days. Tundra Power, Tato, Dr. Pain, Tuscadora Dave, etc..

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by dlc95 View Post

The first time I used the blue foam/Zephir Gel combo, I definitely needed more time to get used to it.
    Next time I use the RUPES Blue/Blue I pay more attention to how long I work the compound.

There's definitely a point where you can not work it long enough and a point where you can work it too long. The difference will be the visul inspection of near perfection.

Quote Originally Posted by dlc95 View Post

My significant other was sitting in a lawn chairs just outside the garage - even she noticed how nice the combination worked.

Then I grabbed a fresh pad, and had her inspect it. Like Mike said, she was blown away.

"How does the car still have paint on it?"

She asked!

I've taken the time so many times to pause, show everyone in the room the pad and then had everyone FEEL the pad.

Same for the compound. Take a few moments to have everyone FEEL the compound, point out that you can feel the abrasive particles and THEN make the point that with MOST name brand and recognized high quality compounds on the market today, when you feel them you feel nothing.

Then put the to things together - coarse pad and coarse compound.

Then demonstrate them on black paint and after wipe off watch the astonishment in their faces.

It's because the two things don't go together in the context of making the hardest paint their is to make look perfect, that is black paint.

I don't consider myself one to be impressed easily but maybe I'm wrong. But like stated in the first post of this thread, after demonstrating this combo LIVE in front of thousands of people all week at SEMA under excruciating lights, I found what this combo can do to be mind blowing.

At least enough to write an article about it for the online detailing community and of course all the RUPES fans...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    Next time I use the RUPES Blue/Blue I pay more attention to how long I work the compound.

There's definitely a point where you can not work it long enough and a point where you can work it too long. The difference will be the visul inspection of near perfection.

I've taken the time so many times to pause, show everyone in the room the pad and then had everyone FEEL the pad.

Same for the compound. Take a few moments to have everyone FEEL the compound, point out that you can feel the abrasive particles and THEN make the point that with MOST name brand and recognized high quality compounds on the market today, when you feel them you feel nothing.

Then put the to things together - coarse pad and coarse compound.

Then demonstrate them on black paint and after wipe off watch the astonishment in their faces.

It's because the two things don't go together in the context of making the hardest paint their is to make look perfect, that is black paint.

I don't consider myself one to be impressed easily but maybe I'm wrong. But like stated in the first post of this thread, after demonstrating this combo LIVE in front of thousands of people all week at SEMA under excruciating lights, I found what this combo can do to be mind blowing.

At least enough to write an article about it for the online detailing community and of course all the RUPES fans...

And when she made that remark, I thought of this article! Even the green and UHS pads feel stiff and coarse, but that blue pad takes it to another level.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast