autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

New Black Sapphire BMW 335 Advice

I have done some detailing in the past but that was with a silver car. Black is a different deal which is what I expected. Here are my questions and I appreciate any advice.

The car is new but has several fine scratches. I was thinking about buying a Porter Cable and taking care of these myself with Wolfgang, Menzerna etc. because I like the detailing process. From what I've read, it seems this is a good approach.

Also, we have a very good Opti-Coat dealer here in St. Louis and I am considering that as well. Any thoughts on this would be very much appreciated. Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: New Black Sapphire BMW 335 Advice

Welcome to Autogeek! I'm also a STL native! There are a few members on here from there as well.

I personally prefer the Griots Garage polisher, due to having more power than the Porter Cable. I think the products you mentioned would be perfect for your vehicle.

Check out the show-n-shine area on this forum.

Be sure to read, and research as much as possible before making your purchase. There are plenty of BMW owners, and detailers on this forum, that have perfected BMW's paint system. Search through the threads and see what tools, pads, and products people are using to get amazing results. Good luck!!!

Post Thanks / Like

I would do yourself a really big favor and get it coated.... Especially since it's black... And black is a full time job....

Then you can wax it etc if you wish.

Post Thanks / Like
    BMW BSM loves Wolfgang TSR. That is what you will need to remove defects. Follow it with Menzerna SF 4500 or WG Finishing Glaze. If your going to use a PC style polisher, the pads are Lake Country Orange and Black.

A PC is fine, but the Griots 6" is more versatile and powerful. I'm speaking from experience, as I have a BSM BMW & both machines.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi, welcome to AGO.

Follow Swanicyouth's advice. He know how to polish BSM to perfection.

Quote Originally Posted by swanicyouth View Post
    BMW BSM loves Wolfgang TSR. That is what you will need to remove defects. Follow it with Menzerna SF 4500 or WG Finishing Glaze. If your going to use a PC style polisher, the pads are Lake Country Orange and Black.

A PC is fine, but the Griots 6" is more versatile and powerful. I'm speaking from experience, as I have a BSM BMW & both machines.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the quick responses and all the helpful advice. Glad I joined this forum. Very helpful replies.

Post Thanks / Like
    BSM does scratch fairly easy, but the flake tends to hide it fairly well. A coating would be a good idea - but I suggest you do it yourself. Your going to pay an arm and a leg for a guy to do it. Then what happens if you get some marring? You'll be right back at him paying at least a hand and a foot to get the panel re-coated. If you can polish the car successfully, you can coat it successfully. Just do your research and use the appropriate prep products.

OC *may* be the most difficult coating the apply correctly. You could do it yourself, as it is not that difficult overall. However, the Pinnacle coating seems pretty user friendly, and can be topped with a wax. You get several applications in a single bottle as well. Any mistakes or scratches? Just polish it off and re-apply.

Post Thanks / Like

Hello and welcome! As a bmw owner that purchased vehicles after 1 year of use, I have experienced how much damage can be done in just one year. I'm on my third black bmw now (2013 X3 2.8i). Doing full correction+coating. For paint that scratches/marrs this easy, I would not use blue bottle cquartz. Its a paint to remove, and when you do you will see light-medium marring. I ended repolishing that area and recoating. Gtechniq C1 is another pain in the butt to remove and marring is almost guaranteed, EXO on the other hand is not difficult to remove at all. Pinnacle all surface coating is nice, follow directions and remove it right away. But the easiest coating to work with is 22ple pro glass coating. AG doesn't carry it, but I wish they did. It applies very easy and removes even easier. Its as easy as Menzerna powerlock sealant. Having said that it is cquartz based coating, it will add additional hard protection to your paint. My favotite finishing polish for bmw paint is Sonax Perfect finish. Its expensive, but worth every penney, as it finishes down very well on soft paints. What ever route you choose - good luck.
    2008 Acura MDX Sport white pearl (daily driver)
    2009 BMW E70 X5 4.8i jet black (garage queen)
    2013 BMW F25 X3 2.8 jet black (wife's car)