autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

After polishing before waxing

After reading up on this forum im wondering if i been skiping a step when detailing my cars.
    so after you wash and clay a car and then use a polish or polish and finising glaze ,are you supposed to wipe the car down with something before waxing or paint sealant

Post Thanks / Like

Re: After polishing before waxing

Not necessarily.

If you're using a traditional wax or sealant, there's no need for a IPA wipe or IPA type product like CarPro Eraser. Polish then straight to wax/sealant.

If you're using a coating such as Opti Coat, the surface needs to be 100% clean of any debris, oils, and fillers. That's when you would use IPA.

If you're using a glaze, you do not want to use IPA because that would remove the glaze you just applied. You would top the glaze with a traditional wax/sealant.

Post Thanks / Like

Thats what i thought. That would have been my next question, if i used a glaze what would be the point of using an IPA, it would just come out.
    Thanks for reasureing me. i guess i know what im doing lol

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by asalesagent912 View Post
    Thats what i thought. That would have been my next question, if i used a glaze what would be the point of using an IPA, it would just come out.
    Thanks for reasureing me. i guess i know what im doing lol
    Why glaze??? Just spend more time correcting and enjoy perfection! :-)

Post Thanks / Like

For me.... it depends on the polish as they each have varying amounts of polishing oils..... oils that do nothing really to help the performance of a wax or sealant. I were applying a sealant that needs cure time I definitely would use IPA or Eraser. Why have those oils mix with the sealant by any degree?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Just02896 View Post
    Some vehicles may be to the point of having already had too much CC-paint removed.

"Glazes" may provide the least aggressive "measure of correction" in those instances.

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Just02896 View Post
    If it is a long term daily driver, you might not want to continually polish away clear coat over time. Another reason is time. There might not be enough time to do a full correction.

I fit both of those instances. I typically will only correct once a year, but will use a glaze on my other bi-annual to spruce things up before hitting the car with and LSP. Where I live it doesn't make much sense to do a correction going into winter due to all the abuse the car's paint will take, therefore a glaze during my fall detail is a perfect fit.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Desertnate View Post
    If it is a long term daily driver, you might not want to continually polish away clear coat over time. Another reason is time. There might not be enough time to do a full correction.

I fit both of those instances. I typically will only correct once a year, but will use a glaze on my other bi-annual to spruce things up before hitting the car with and LSP. Where I live it doesn't make much sense to do a correction going into winter due to all the abuse the car's paint will take, therefore a glaze during my fall detail is a perfect fit.
    Makes sense. We trade in our vehicles every 3 years or so therefor I could care less how much clear is left when we turn em in so long as the paint looks like glass! Lol! Seriously though, I only correct our vehicles once or twice during ownership and keep them sealed every 4-6 months. Fine polishes remove so little CC, that I doubt you would ever have to worry about CC failure. I typically polish every 6 months before sealing. Compounding is a completely different story.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by asalesagent912 View Post
    After reading up on this forum im wondering if i been skiping a step when detailing my cars.
    so after you wash and clay a car and then use a polish or polish and finising glaze ,are you supposed to wipe the car down with something before waxing or paint sealant
    If you hit it with anything between polishing and waxing or sealing I would spray it down with Meguires M34 Finial Inspection, other than that nope....