autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mike Phillips

Rupes Microfiber Cutting Disc with Rupes Zephir Gloss Coarse Gel Compound

Rupes Microfiber Cutting Disc with Rupes Zephir Gloss Coarse Gel Compound

In this thread I showed machine wetsanding with the Rupes Sanding Discs...

Rupes 5 Inch 2000 & 3000 Grit Sanding Discs

No one ever noticed I never removed my sanding marks.... till now...

Here's the Rupes Zephir Gloss Coarse Gel Compound and the new 6" Blue Microfiber Cutting Disc on the new Rupes Duetto 12 mm orbital polisher.

Here's the side I'm going to compound, this has been machine sanded twice,

First time: Rupes #2000 Grit
    Second time: Rupes #3000 Grit

Notice the more clear reflections in the paint on the right hand side of the tape line as compared to the paint on the left hand side of the tape line.
    (See the above article for more and better pictures of this difference)

Here's a two more shots where I've zoomed in so you can see the uniform sanding mark pattern left in the paint by the Rupes #3000 Sanding Disc.

This is after compounding with the Zephir Gloss Coarse Compound Gel and the Blue Microfiber pad on around the 3 speed setting on the Rupes Duetto.

This is the light from the now very rare Brinkmann Swirl Finder Light shining directly down on the paint to show the very LOW swirls or haze left by the compound and microfiber pad.

It would not take much to clean this up to LSP ready. It could easily be done using any foam polishing or finishing pad and any of the Rupes polishes.

Now I'm going to re-compound this section using the VERY COARSE Rupes blue foam cutting pad on the Duetto with the Zephir Gloss Coarse Compound Gel.

Now look at the D.O.I.

The paint where I compounded looks phenomenal. I think the Microfiber Pads removed the sanding marks very easily at a low speed and this type of work is normally done with a ROTARY BUFFER.

The aggressive foam cutting pad may have been able to remove the sanding marks but I would have had to use a higher speed setting.

One thing for sure they both finished out incredibly nice with the edge going to the foam cutting pad for finishing out nicer.

Any detailer could do this type of work with the system approach.

The next step if this were a car would be to re-polish using a less aggressive foam pad and polish and then seal the paint.

Since the Rupes Microfiber Pads are new to the U.S. market as well the Duetto 12 mm Orbital Sander/Polisher, I thought a few of you guy might want to see these new tools in action.

On Autogeek.net

Rupes Polishers, Polishes and Pads

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Rupes Microfiber Cutting Disc with Rupes Zephir Gloss Coarse Gel Compound

It doesn't look like the blue foam pad was fully primed? Is fully priming the pad less important or not needed on this coarse pad or Rupes pads in general?

Post Thanks / Like

Wow, Mike... It's amazing you're getting those results from the most aggressive pad and compound! Technology is amazing... Pretty soon you'll get LSP results and remove 1500 grit!

Thanks for doing the test and sharing with us!

Post Thanks / Like

I think the Microfiber Pads removed the sanding marks very easily at a low speed and this type of work is normally done with a ROTARY BUFFER.

The aggressive foam cutting pad may have been able to remove the sanding marks but I would have had to use a higher speed setting.
    That's one of the greatest insights regarding MF 'vs' Foam Pads questions.

That paint looks incredible from 2 compounding steps. When would we imagine?

Thank you for that,

Kind Regards.
    “Nature is pleased with simplicity. And nature is no dummy”

― Isaac Newton

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tresca View Post
    It doesn't look like the blue foam pad was fully primed? Is fully priming the pad less important or not needed on this coarse pad or Rupes pads in general?
    With the Rupes foam pads there is no need to prime, with their MF disc you have to prime, Mike can correct me if I am wrong. Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

This is exactly why we switched to all rupes all the time!
    The system approach, as before the rupes it was all meguiars, but we just felt that using the products designed for this machine, was the way we should go.

Mike Phillips

It doesn't look like the blue foam pad was fully primed?
    And it's a hard habit to break if you're use to always priming a pad, kind of like a reflex action.

Is fully priming the pad less important or not needed on this coarse pad or Rupes pads in general?
    I'd say it's less important with their "system" not so much their pads in general and not needed at all with a pad this coarse.

Because the cells are so large and open in the cell structure of their blue cutting pad and because the foam formula itself is so rigid, (at least when you're starting out with a fresh pad), excess product will simply sling out and throw splatter everywhere.

I've done it myself and that's how I learned NOT to add too much product or practice the pad priming regimen. Now I watch others do it and try my best to caution them to both,

A: Don't prime pad when using the compound with the blue cutting pad.

B: Don't overuse product.
    And then when you do turn the polisher on, make sure the face of the pad is in direct contact with the paint and apply some firm pressure to TRAP the product between the pad and the paint and then get the polisher moving the product over the section you're going to buff when you first pull the trigger to get it spread out so it doesn't sling out.

Little tips but they will help you a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by Italian Guy View Post

With the Rupes foam pads there is no need to prime, with their MF disc you have to prime, Mike can correct me if I am wrong. Thanks

You're dead-on accurate Chris... and Chris has used the Rupes system plenty since we brought Rupes on board...

Here's Chris aka Italian Guy...

Buffing on a 1955 Chevy Sedan Delivery here at Autogeek's Show Car Garage

Buffing on the North Miami Beach Police Department Mobil Command Center

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Phillips@Autogeek View Post
    And it's a hard habit to break if you're use to always priming a pad, kind of like a reflex action.

I'd say it's less important with their "system" not so much their pads in general and not needed at all with a pad this coarse.

Because the cells are so large and open in the cell structure of their blue cutting pad and because the foam formula itself is so rigid, (at least when you're starting out with a fresh pad), excess product will simply sling out and throw splatter everywhere.

I've done it myself and that's how I learned NOT to add too much product or practice the pad priming regimen. Now I watch others do it and try my best to caution them to both,

A: Don't prime pad when using the compound with the blue cutting pad.

B: Don't overuse product.
    And then when you do turn the polisher on, make sure the face of the pad is in direct contact with the paint and apply some firm pressure to TRAP the product between the pad and the paint and then get the polisher moving the product over the section you're going to buff when you first pull the trigger to get it spread out so it doesn't sling out.

Little tips but they will help you a lot.

Would the same hold for the yellow and white pads? There are times I'd like to polish out a small area as a touch up, but I feel like I'm wasting polish because I use so much to prime the pad and only a few drops for the polish area. I tend then to wait until there is a more area to do on mine or a friends car. Would a polish pad conditioner like the Wolfgang product be useful for this purpose?

Post Thanks / Like

Great job, Mike.

Why did you compound with the blue foam pad instead of going straight to a less aggressive pad and polish? Was this just for comparison?
    '03 Corvette Z06

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by FivePoint.0 View Post
    Great job, Mike.

Why did you compound with the blue foam pad instead of going straight to a less aggressive pad and polish? Was this just for comparison?

Yep....

Just comparing for myself... thought I would share at the same time.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast