autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Quietest Polisher

My Griots Garage 6" DA is super quiet!

'Course, it could be because of my earplugs...
    2014 Ford Focus SE Sport | 2014 Ford Mustang V6 Premium Convertible | 2014 Kawasaki Vulcan 1700 Vaquero ABS SE | 2011 Honda Shadow 750 Aero

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Romans5.8 View Post
    My Griots Garage 6" DA is super quiet!

'Course, it could be because of my earplugs...

The sound of my GG doesn't bother me too much. However it drives my wife in the bedroom above the garage crazy when she tries to sleep.

Earplugs are a given when I use almost any power tool. I'm still too young to go deaf.

Post Thanks / Like

Normally dB readings are done at standard 1 meter distance however when polishing some panels i.e. vertical ones the ear is much closer to the machine and consequently it is much louder.

I really do not understand why more effort is made to make these machines quieter or why there is not a demand to buy quieter machines.

My Silverline rotary is officially 92 dB (one meter) and I think it was about 95 when measured working on the car.

For your garage I would consider sealing all the doors with some draftproofing material, even a small gap will allow a lot of sound to travel through the hole. Most garages are full of hard surfaces so any soft materials will help a little

Post Thanks / Like

As far as demand, there ARE quieter machines but they are expensive. I can't answer for everyone but I can answer for me and why I chose to buy a louder, cheaper machine;

I just don't polish that often. Maybe I'll polish once a year. As I don't have a garage, I typically hand apply waxes and sealants. I have to 'borrow' a garage to use my DA. So, in my situation, I can just stick some earplug in and deal with it and spend the money I saved on things I use all the time; like microfiber towels, waterless wash, tools, and other things that help me to maintain my finish! In a day to day basis, my Mercury 2.0 bottle was a great investment over a cheap bottle since I do a waterless wash at LEAST 4 times a week (4 vehicles weekly). More frequently when rain, snow, and ice are a factor. So a $20 plastic bottle? A couple hundred in microfiber towels? Sure. But an extra $100 or $200 for a polisher just because it's a little quieter and smoother- in MY situation; no, it's not high on my priority list.

That's my $0.02. I just got done polishing, sealing, and waxing my car- all by machine. Loud and lots of vibrations but it really was no big deal. Not when the next time I'll use it may be spring when I do my wife's car and PERHAPS my car again should I decide to go a coating route in the spring (and I'll polish again to ensure a perfectly clean surface.).
    2014 Ford Focus SE Sport | 2014 Ford Mustang V6 Premium Convertible | 2014 Kawasaki Vulcan 1700 Vaquero ABS SE | 2011 Honda Shadow 750 Aero

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ezriderga View Post
    earplugs

I get a small box of them at a hardware store for cheap. Since I wear them when I mow/trim the yard too, I always have some on hand.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

6. Likes dwaleke liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lowejackson View Post
    Normally dB readings are done at standard 1 meter distance however when polishing some panels i.e. vertical ones the ear is much closer to the machine and consequently it is much louder.

I really do not understand why more effort is made to make these machines quieter or why there is not a demand to buy quieter machines.

My Silverline rotary is officially 92 dB (one meter) and I think it was about 95 when measured working on the car.

For your garage I would consider sealing all the doors with some draftproofing material, even a small gap will allow a lot of sound to travel through the hole. Most garages are full of hard surfaces so any soft materials will help a little
    Thank you for the information. It sounds like a rotary may not be as quiet as I originally thought. I may also have to invest in some insulation in the garage. The bedroom is directly above so I'll have to see what my options are.

Quote Originally Posted by Romans5.8 View Post
    As far as demand, there ARE quieter machines but they are expensive. I can't answer for everyone but I can answer for me and why I chose to buy a louder, cheaper machine;

I just don't polish that often. Maybe I'll polish once a year. As I don't have a garage, I typically hand apply waxes and sealants. I have to 'borrow' a garage to use my DA. So, in my situation, I can just stick some earplug in and deal with it and spend the money I saved on things I use all the time; like microfiber towels, waterless wash, tools, and other things that help me to maintain my finish! In a day to day basis, my Mercury 2.0 bottle was a great investment over a cheap bottle since I do a waterless wash at LEAST 4 times a week (4 vehicles weekly). More frequently when rain, snow, and ice are a factor. So a $20 plastic bottle? A couple hundred in microfiber towels? Sure. But an extra $100 or $200 for a polisher just because it's a little quieter and smoother- in MY situation; no, it's not high on my priority list.

That's my $0.02. I just got done polishing, sealing, and waxing my car- all by machine. Loud and lots of vibrations but it really was no big deal. Not when the next time I'll use it may be spring when I do my wife's car and PERHAPS my car again should I decide to go a coating route in the spring (and I'll polish again to ensure a perfectly clean surface.).

Thank you for the explanation of where you were coming from with your answer. I agree there are more important things than a polisher, but it seems like all my free time is at night when everyone else is asleep. That's why I was hoping to see what my options are. I'd like to be able to polish when I have the most time.

It looks like I'm going to have to spread my polishing out over a few sessions so I can eventually get it done. Just try to set aside an hour a week to do one panel. My wife's new car is uncorrected and it's killing me.

Thank you all for the advice.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hollerstiltner View Post
    Thank you for the information. It sounds like a rotary may not be as quiet as I originally thought. I may also have to invest in some insulation in the garage. The bedroom is directly above so I'll have to see what my options are.....
    Just to clarify my comments, my rotary is a cheap unit as I only polish a couple of times a year, I have no doubt some of the more expensive units are quieter but I have not tried any of them. However, comments made by others would indicate the better polishes are quieter than the cheap ones

Post Thanks / Like

The quietest and smoothest polisher i have used is DAS6.
    Exotic Auto Detail trade review / feedback:
    Think twice if you're going to trade with ExoticAutoDetai.

Post Thanks / Like

Congrats on the new addition to the family!

Perhaps instead of trying to find a quieter DA, you could look into some sound deadener material to put on the garage walls/ceiling.

Just a thought.

Post Thanks / Like

I just compared the rupes lhr21 mark2, against the torq22d, I ran them together and one at a time. My choice for less noise and vibration was for the torq22d, to me there was a significant difference in noise and vibration, so I decided to send back the rupes, and save some money, since I just detail for myself and family and friends.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123